[OP]
Dec 8, 2013
72 posts
162 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC

[Canada Computers] WARM: Office 365 1 user, 1 year $59, Windows 10 Home

A warm deal on Windows software at Canada Computers (below), and at New Egg:
Office 365 1 user, 1 year $59 ($20 off) at Canada Computers
Office 365 Family, 1 year $104.99 ($5.00 off)
Windows 10 Home OEM 139.99 ($10.00 off)
Windows 10 Pro OEM dvd 169.99 ($20 off)

NewEgg:
Windows 10 Home OEM download $139.99
Windows 10 Pro OEM download $179.99

Reminder: college and university students can get access to Office 365 free through their school.
49 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
11348 posts
16383 upvotes
Ottawa
You’d think Microsoft would be doing some deals on this with people at home .
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2017
1769 posts
1168 upvotes
I usually top up when they have 50% off.
Jul 30, 2006
177 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
stephroll wrote: You’d think Microsoft would be doing some deals on this with people at home .
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/educati ... cts/office

This is not new, but probably useful for some now, especially those with students at home.
I've had it for several years. 5 devices per license, if it hasn't changed since then.

"Get started with Office 365 for free

Students and educators at eligible institutions can sign up for Office 365 Education for free, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and now Microsoft Teams, plus additional classroom tools. Use your valid school email address to get started today."
Apr 1, 2013
596 posts
628 upvotes
Fredericton
I still don't understand charging for an OS.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6677 posts
2389 upvotes
Markham
P_shopper wrote: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/educati ... cts/office

This is not new, but probably useful for some now, especially those with students at home.
I've had it for several years. 5 devices per license, if it hasn't changed since then.

"Get started with Office 365 for free

Students and educators at eligible institutions can sign up for Office 365 Education for free, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and now Microsoft Teams, plus additional classroom tools. Use your valid school email address to get started today."
Do they check your email once a year?

Thanks
Feb 24, 2019
26 posts
29 upvotes
life359 wrote: I still don't understand charging for an OS.
That's how they make money. Guess how much Microsoft makes charging companies enterprise licenses. It's a lot.
Jul 30, 2006
177 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
smartie wrote: Do they check your email once a year?

Thanks
I have had no evidence of them checking in. Just did a quick check. I've had it since at least March 2015.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
6677 posts
2389 upvotes
Markham
P_shopper wrote: I have had no evidence of them checking in. Just did a quick check. I've had it since at least March 2015.
So you use it for whatever period of time until they want to stop you?
[OP]
Dec 8, 2013
72 posts
162 upvotes
Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC
re school licensing of Office 365, Office 365 is now accessed from my college as a web app, after logging in using a college email address, and no software is installed first. So it looks like a student would lose access to it once the college email is no longer accessible, i.e. when no longer enrolled.
In the past, software may have been installed first and then activated. At one point about 5 years ago, my son had a 4 year student/family deal for Office for $79, before Office 365 became completely free for students. That installed software eventually expired after the 4 years plus a grace period of one or two months.
Jul 30, 2006
177 posts
85 upvotes
Ottawa
PeterS582 wrote: re school licensing of Office 365, Office 365 is now accessed from my college as a web app, after logging in using a college email address, and no software is installed first. So it looks like a student would lose access to it once the college email is no longer accessible, i.e. when no longer enrolled.
In the past, software may have been installed first and then activated. At one point about 5 years ago, my son had a 4 year student/family deal for Office for $79, before Office 365 became completely free for students. That installed software eventually expired after the 4 years plus a grace period of one or two months.
It looks like they have 3 tiers now.
Perhaps it depends on what the individual educational institution has chosen:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/microso ... aprimaryr1

Office 365 A1
This free online version of Office includes everything you expect from Office, plus Microsoft Teams.

Office 365 A3
Access to the Office desktop apps including Microsoft Teams, plus robust management and security tools.
[for example: All the features in A1 plus full access to the Office desktop apps, and additional management and security tools.]

Office 365 A5
All the Office desktop apps including Microsoft Teams, with best-in-class security, compliance, and analytics.
Oct 18, 2017
175 posts
267 upvotes
New Brunswick
You don’t understand paying for a product that you use? Interesting.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2016
1554 posts
1157 upvotes
Toronto
Most of the time, companies are charging for supporting it (updates, patches, and proper technical support)
huuuu! (¬'-')¬ C-('-'Q) straight!
Apr 1, 2013
596 posts
628 upvotes
Fredericton
EthanMcL wrote: You don’t understand paying for a product that you use? Interesting.
Charging for an OS needed to run software you also have to purchase, made by the same company, is absurd.

Linux is free. Windows should be free for personal use at the very least.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1428 posts
374 upvotes
Kitchener
life359 wrote: Charging for an OS needed to run software you also have to purchase, made by the same company, is absurd.

Linux is free. Windows should be free for personal use at the very least.
Nearly every PC you buy already has a copy of windows installed.
I'd say their current structure is quite good. If building your own PCs, older Win7 / Win8 keys will work to activate Win 10. There are many loop holes like this.
Win10 has been pretty rock solid. I'd say it is worth it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)