Expired Hot Deals

[Canada Computers] WD Black SN750 500GB NVME No Heatsink Version $99.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 11:12 am
Sep 2, 2016
114 posts
97 upvotes
Looking to build my first gaming/editing PC.
If Samsung 970 EVO is #1, what would this rank?

Also would it be a good idea to get 500GB 970 EVO for system and apps, and then this WD for games?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4488 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
K81024 wrote: Looking to build my first gaming/editing PC.

Also would it be a good idea to get 500GB 970 EVO for system and apps, and then this WD for games?
Unless you're doing heavy disk writing applications, you won't notice a difference between the two drives, even then the difference isn't large.
Aug 19, 2013
596 posts
433 upvotes
TORONTO

For games, even regular SATA SSDs are more than enough. Heck even for day to day use, I cant tell the difference between my NVME and a 850 EVO SATA SSD. They're both responsive and very fast.
Jul 16, 2019
71 posts
42 upvotes
johnwayne wrote: The other poster has a point. Sorry but as much as I would like to support local / Canadian, I'm also going to look out for number 1. Return policy, peace of mind and customer service is huge in this society. I bought something at Canada Computers and had a difficult time exchanging. I had a tough time (curb side) picking up an item at Canadian tire; with no signs where to actually go, the staff there were rude when I was just asking simple questions on how to pick up an item I ordered. I know staff have to deal with a lot nowadays but somehow I feel like we lost what makes us Canadian in the first place.
Same experience here at CT. Went to pick up my order online, took me longer to get it than just lining up in store and buy it there. CS are rude, had to wait a long time to get to the counter. I start expressing my point that why does it take so long to pick up an online order two days ago? (getting more risk of exposure to Covid) She asked me to call so I get curbside pickup. I did call 2x no one is picking up the phone, so I told the CS this, and she said you have to call the number posted outside the garden center! How the hell do you know that , I ordered online and expect to have the same number to call what's posted online. On my way out there it is, written outside the garden area, barely visible, the number she told me about.

These stores haven't really figured out how to seamlessly integrate online process to their brick and mortar stores, which in this day and age, esp with the Covid situation, is even more necessary. And they wonder why Amazon is ruling the market these days.

And on top of that, shopping online at CT website is a painful experience as their pages load slow & the navigation is clunky.
Jun 30, 2019
69 posts
75 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote:
Tom's Hardware review shows the same sequential read, 14% less sequential write (2600 megabytes per second), both are over 400,000 IOPS random read and 380,000 IOPS random write.

What on Earth load is that too slow to handle?!
It is Ok speed, not great by any means. Of course it depends what you use it for. If you just install OS on it, you won't see any difference. I think buying Gen3 NVMEs these days only worth if you have dated hardware that does not support Gen4...
[OP]
Mar 26, 2010
142 posts
87 upvotes
VeryTrueColors wrote: It is Ok speed, not great by any means. Of course it depends what you use it for. If you just install OS on it, you won't see any difference. I think buying Gen3 NVMEs these days only worth if you have dated hardware that does not support Gen4...
what kind of workloads are you suggesting that these drives aren't up to par for?

what would be some examples of drives that are so much better that would result in a felt difference for users?
not just theoretical maximums. felt difference in speed for loading games, applications, os etc (or whatever workload you are referring to)

i think you should preface more details in what this drive can/cannot do before calling them crap with no context
Dec 1, 2016
85 posts
41 upvotes
jorda13456 wrote: These companies don't even realize that the reason amazon is king is because of the amazing service that they are providing.
So many issues and problems with other sellers when you want to return or contact them about any problems. I gave them chances but
they never fail to let me down.

Especially Canada Computers. Never will they get my money again. The workers are sketchy and have such attitude over any request (in my experience).
Amazon is king because they're massively subsidizing their online store which doesn't make them any money with their AWS service which powers like half the internet. Other companies would develop incredibly shipping and web infrastructure too if they had a near unlimited money pool to pay for it. The more Amazon monopolizes though the less they will have to be competitive.
Aug 17, 2012
389 posts
254 upvotes
COQUITLAM
I have this.

You should be seeing big performance boosts in video/photo editing, or doing stuff with large file sizes. I do photo editing and this significantly sped up my image processing times and ACDSee for image viewing.

You'll see no real gain for just basic Windows use and gaming. We're talking around 2 seconds off Windows 10 boot times and <1 sec off load times in current games compared to a SATA SSD.

This may change down the line when games/apps start being developed with NVME speeds in mind, but by then, we'll be on PCIe 5.0+ and faster/cheaper NVME drives will be out by then.

This does allow you to transition to a smaller PC case though since you can move SATA SSDs over to NVMEs.

Before getting this though, make sure to review your motherboard's manual to see if using a m.2 drive will disable any SATA ports. Some older/cheaper boards will do this.
Mar 27, 2016
26 posts
5 upvotes
Delta, BC
Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 is the best one right now, Techspot said so, it does come with free Sabrent Acronis True Image. Looking to buy this on black friday or boxing day
Last edited by 09halu on Jun 7th, 2020 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
1453 posts
58 upvotes

IMHO
#1 970 Pro
#2 970 Evo Plus

WD SN750 is in the top tier for sure and a heck of a lot less expensive.
Aug 19, 2013
596 posts
433 upvotes
TORONTO
Jawkuz wrote: Amazon is king because they're massively subsidizing their online store which doesn't make them any money with their AWS service which powers like half the internet. Other companies would develop incredibly shipping and web infrastructure too if they had a near unlimited money pool to pay for it. The more Amazon monopolizes though the less they will have to be competitive.
Economics will then come into play. If amazon decides to overprice/dial back on their customer service, it'll create room for other companies to take advantage. Also, Amazon isnt necessarily cheaper. In fact, their prices are usually comparable to stores like Best Buy and sometimes even higher when those stores have sales. The difference however is in service.

Just because Amazon has AWS, etc is no excuse for these companies to treat their customers like crap. If AWS is so glamorous, why not start something like Canada Computers Compute. Everybody started somewhere. These companies gotta stop complaining and go back to the drawing board on what makes companies like Amazon, Walmart, Apple, etc flourish so well.

But forget all that - many companies barely have a functional website like others have stated. And it's not like building a decent website is epically hard/expensive like before. A wordpress + WooCommerce is a free, stupid easy solution that is mighty powerful and completely extendable.
Jun 30, 2019
69 posts
75 upvotes
jimmerz wrote: what kind of workloads are you suggesting that these drives aren't up to par for?

what would be some examples of drives that are so much better that would result in a felt difference for users?
not just theoretical maximums. felt difference in speed for loading games, applications, os etc (or whatever workload you are referring to)

i think you should preface more details in what this drive can/cannot do before calling them crap with no context
I am using NVMEs for database workload and there is a huge difference between Gen3 and Gen4 devices. I have SN750 1Tb and Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe Gen4 devices, the speed difference is quite significant for processes that bottleneck on IO subsystem - at least 30%... In case of long running processes it saves hours. PCIE 3.0 is not even yesterday - it is an ancient technology (10+ years old), not sure why did you feel offended that I called it outdated...
Gen3 drives are still good, just not for people who require top performance from their hardware.
Jun 30, 2019
69 posts
75 upvotes
Riffer wrote: IMHO
#1 970 Pro
#2 970 Evo Plus

WD SN750 is in the top tier for sure and a heck of a lot less expensive.
Right now Samsung drives are behind all Gen4 drives, so they are definitely not #1. Samsung drives are good, but all with outdated PCIE 3.0, so speed is very far from the best.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6163 posts
2636 upvotes
Arossi22 wrote: I don't want this to turn into an Amazon hate thread, but after listening to this it opened my eyes to the greater detrimental effects of Amazon. Given the choice, I now choose to shop local.

Listen to this and then form your own opinion.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayediti ... -1.5585645
canada computers sucks. I rather go anywhere but there.
Oct 1, 2011
186 posts
107 upvotes
Georgetown
badOne wrote: canada computers sucks. I rather go anywhere but there.
I don't feel bad at all. They must be extremely busy with orders, because I ordered something last Sunday and followed it up with a ticket immediately regarding my order and nobody has responded in a full week now. No status updates or anything. Also had another order I wanted to cancel and the cancellation button just creates a ticket and leaves you wondering if anyone is ever going to read it or if they're just going to ship my item in 3 weeks.