• Last Updated:
  • Jul 8th, 2020 7:03 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2660 posts
6122 upvotes
Ontario

[Canada Computers] WD Red 4TB $139.99 (WD40EFRX)

I know that posting hard drive deals is not actually a popular thing here. And I don't want this to become a WD vs Seagate debate.

But, I thought this might be worth posting. Canada Computers has the WD Red 4TB hard drives for $139.99
https://www.canadacomputers.com/product ... _id=063680

This is the WD40EFRX model. So it's supposed to be CMR, not SMR. You can Google about the controversy.

Amazon had this at $159.99 regular. I bought one, and they shipped the bare drive is just their normal bubble wrap bag... I actually think one of the corners is dented from going through the mail. I plan to return it. It seems to work, but I don't want to risk it. I also bought a WD Blue from Amazon, but at least that came in a box with plastic that suspended it in the middle of the box. Not perfect, but better.

I don't usually buy much from Canada Computers, but it's cheaper than Amazon's historical price on this item. So it's something at least.
23 replies
Dec 14, 2013
176 posts
263 upvotes
AJAX
I bought my 4TB ext HD (Seagate) probably 8 years ago from Costco for $165. Seriously after all this time it should not be more than $80, maximum.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6656 posts
5322 upvotes
M-Arkham
aandaleb wrote: I bought my 4TB ext HD (Seagate) probably 8 years ago from Costco for $165. Seriously after all this time it should not be more than $80, maximum.
internal is always gonna cost more then external for warranty reason

Also, external 4TB for different brands were going around anywhere from $50 walmart clearance price to the frequent sale of $100 across numerous retailers
1x Virgin $45 for 50GB w/ unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $45 for 50GB w/ unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x koodo $45 for 50GB w/ unlimited can wide talk n unlimited txt
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7807 posts
6262 upvotes
Ottawa
Upvoted. Decent price for that size. My NAS is stuffed with four 2TB drives I bought seven years ago. They're still working quite well but likely on borrowed time. A preventative swap that doubles the capacity is definitely attractive...
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2006
1364 posts
2070 upvotes
Hammonds
$129.99 22 July 2019 on Amazon. Likely prime deal. Personally the one I got is acting like an SMR and keeps falling out of my zfs pool
Nov 11, 2015
252 posts
114 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Brewmeanie wrote: internal is always gonna cost more then external for warranty reason

Also, external 4TB for different brands were going around anywhere from $50 walmart clearance price to the frequent sale of $100 across numerous retailers
See i've been looking for a new internal drive and would have thought the opposite but obviously haven't seen that. So they can handle the warranty better if it's external? Is this new, i have to admit that i'm only looking at new drives every 3-4 yrs and always assumed external were more expensive.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2660 posts
6122 upvotes
Ontario
aandaleb wrote: I bought my 4TB ext HD (Seagate) probably 8 years ago from Costco for $165. Seriously after all this time it should not be more than $80, maximum.
I agree. I find that HDD prices have not been dropping as fast as I expected. Maybe HDD sales are just slowing since most people never really have to bother with them anymore. A regular portable drive, some large micro SD cards, or cloud saving is enough for most people. And considering how uncommon desktop computers are, 3.5" drives have probably also dropped in popularity.
Ruciz wrote: $129.99 22 July 2019 on Amazon. Likely prime deal. Personally the one I got is acting like an SMR and keeps falling out of my zfs pool
That makes a bit more sense. I bought a 3TB WD Red for $129.99 in Dec 2017. Also likely a sale. But to still see them mostly this price surprises me.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2143 posts
876 upvotes
Ottawa
The problem here is that this is not much of a saving to risk Canada Computer's lousy return policy.
yadda, yadda, yadda
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16991 posts
6872 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is a CMR drive part of the new Red Plus line.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
4221 posts
4580 upvotes
Whitby
Just go with amazon. Much better customer service. CC tried to trick me with a refurb and then it took awhile to get my money back. Stay away from this deal.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
3081 posts
2599 upvotes
GTA Ontario
You're comparing an external disk to a NAS disk, and a Seagate to a WD.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5227 posts
7297 upvotes
Vancouver
Skilas wrote: I know that posting hard drive deals is not actually a popular thing here. And I don't want this to become a WD vs Seagate debate.
Oh, it is quite popular, BUT under some conditions:

Not at this [bad] price;
Not so small drives at this time & age;
Not from CC;
Not SMR drives...
etc..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3863 posts
1269 upvotes
Isn't the WD Red PRO drives the real CMR drives now?

Personally I have using $99 SMR/Green drives for years and usually end up replacing a drive before it dies because it gets full. Plan on actually getting proper Red drives the next time i need to upgrade.
Banned
Jan 25, 2017
31 posts
657 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: The problem here is that this is not much of a saving to risk Canada Computer's lousy return policy.
They took advantage of Covid-19 to introduce a final sale policy. I'd rather pay a bit more and get stuff through Amazon for the security.
Used to be Canucklehead until a RFD security breach. Could not reset my pwd.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If You Don't Have Time to Do It Right, You'd Better Have Time to Do It Over!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1004 posts
1072 upvotes
pauldryan wrote: The problem here is that this is not much of a saving to risk Canada Computer's lousy return policy.
This. CC is the new factory direct in terms of suck.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5227 posts
7297 upvotes
Vancouver
JonSnow wrote: Isn't the WD Red PRO drives the real CMR drives now?

Personally I have using $99 SMR/Green drives for years and usually end up replacing a drive before it dies because it gets full. Plan on actually getting proper Red drives the next time i need to upgrade.
Wait for sale on WD Elements and/or WD MyBooks 8TB and 10TB. Guaranteed not to be Shingles and usually "Reds with the White label" helium drives..

Smaller WD drives than 8TB could be SMR.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2660 posts
6122 upvotes
Ontario
dyalect wrote: Just go with amazon. Much better customer service. CC tried to trick me with a refurb and then it took awhile to get my money back. Stay away from this deal.
formerlycanucklehead wrote: They took advantage of Covid-19 to introduce a final sale policy. I'd rather pay a bit more and get stuff through Amazon for the security.
saudor wrote: This. CC is the new factory direct in terms of suck.
That's unfortunate about Canada Computers' bad policies. I haven't had much dealing with them.

I did end up buying this drive. And on a positive note, all looks good.

I did actually buy the Amazon drive first. But after receiving my CC drive, I can confirm that my Amazon one has two dented corners. Not surprising since it was shipped as a loose item in their standard oversize bubble wrap bag. And considering I had paid more for the Amazon drive, I will be returning the Amazon one shortly. So, at least that's a bright spot about buying from Amazon.
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
7103 posts
2885 upvotes
GTA
[quote=geokilla post_id=32805001 time=1594131604 user_id=146936]
This is a CMR drive part of the new Red Plus line.
[/quote]

NO this is NOT CMR. EFAX is cmr.

This is old stock and probably gold.

Yes ! i checked my wd sheet i mixed em up.

WD40EFRX Red 4TB CMR 3.5inch
WD40EFAX Red 4TB SMR 3.5inch

thanks
Last edited by porksoda on Jul 8th, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 5, 2005
3172 posts
142 upvotes
Mississauga
Skilas wrote: That's unfortunate about Canada Computers' bad policies. I haven't had much dealing with them.

I did end up buying this drive. And on a positive note, all looks good.

I did actually buy the Amazon drive first. But after receiving my CC drive, I can confirm that my Amazon one has two dented corners. Not surprising since it was shipped as a loose item in their standard oversize bubble wrap bag. And considering I had paid more for the Amazon drive, I will be returning the Amazon one shortly. So, at least that's a bright spot about buying from Amazon.
Did it just come in the anti-static bag only (in regards to the Amazon order)?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2660 posts
6122 upvotes
Ontario
Blackmajik wrote: Did it just come in the anti-static bag only (in regards to the Amazon order)?
Yes, in an anti-static bag. Sealed. Then that was in one of those bubble wrap Amazon bags. Problem was that it was loose inside it. The Amazon bag is several times bigger than the drive. And those bubble wrap bags don't protect against corners hitting anything hard...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)