Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

[YMMV In Store Only] WD Red Plus 10TB Internal Hard Drive WD101EFBX $209 (399.99 - 190) $21/TB!!!

Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1271 posts
1260 upvotes
Kingston
Chep wrote: My experience with Canada Computers. I bought a 4GB WD Red in January for my NAS. I immediately put it in my NAS and it wouldn't start, anyhow the drive was bad. I brought it back immediately and the guy brought it to his manager, who found a very slightly bent corner on the drive. They blamed the damage on me. I of course argued, as it wasn't me, and they threateed to have me tresspassed. So I gave up on that and tried to contact head office. No reply. So I contacted my credit card, and they agreed to refund the sale. But an office worker from CC sent an email stating I was sold a good drive and damaged it. Anyhow my credit card asked me for someone considered an expert to prove my case. Luckily due to my work I was able to. In the end I won, but these are the hoops you'll have to deal with if they sell you something faulty.

*the hard drive was given to me with ZERO protection, just an anti-static bag

**this was in Kanata
Anti-static bag is normal for system builder components, part of the reason for the better price is that there is no (expensive) retail packaging. As for the damage, did you not check the drive over before you bought it? Also aside of the store and credit card route, the drive does have a mnfr warranty... Why not go that route? While your experience has been negative, it seems like it was preventable.
Jun 10, 2005
601 posts
392 upvotes
Ugh, I just bought this two weeks ago at $300. As far as I know, you can't return non defective drives
Deal Addict
May 24, 2003
4440 posts
1100 upvotes
Golden Horseshoe
Chep wrote: My experience with Canada Computers. I bought a 4GB WD Red in January for my NAS. I immediately put it in my NAS and it wouldn't start, anyhow the drive was bad. I brought it back immediately and the guy brought it to his manager, who found a very slightly bent corner on the drive. They blamed the damage on me. I of course argued, as it wasn't me, and they threateed to have me tresspassed. So I gave up on that and tried to contact head office. No reply. So I contacted my credit card, and they agreed to refund the sale. But an office worker from CC sent an email stating I was sold a good drive and damaged it. Anyhow my credit card asked me for someone considered an expert to prove my case. Luckily due to my work I was able to. In the end I won, but these are the hoops you'll have to deal with if they sell you something faulty.

**this was in Kanata
I've had a similar bad experience with them in regards to camera equipment back in 2014. I vowed never to go back to them. I didn't keep that vow because sometime for the price and selection they're difficult to beat but I try and avoid them for 99% of my purchases because of their lack of ownership and customer service
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1804 posts
1071 upvotes
Sask
Looks like only 3 remain in Ontario. Guess I won't even bother trying to match with memex
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
16823 posts
3339 upvotes
GTA

**this was in Kanata
this is why i almost always take "unboxing videos" whenever I remember to.
esp if the packaging is damaged which i know in your case there was none but that's my point nevertheless.
easier to remember when it's shipped, harder to remember when you buy retail

but then again in your case they'll prolly say you damaged it on the way home.
Sep 26, 2016
59 posts
103 upvotes
Canada computers eh. Bought the wrong ink for my canon printer, came back in to swap it (unopened), they refused. I even offered paying restocking (it was my mistake after all) no. No.

So for a 30$ Ink cart they lost my business.

Stupid moves like that is what kills retail, not amazon. I’d rather purchase online without any friction now.

Next time I’m going to that dumb place is for their going out of business sale.

At least it will be a sale, and no returns implied!
Apr 27, 2011
219 posts
163 upvotes
Montreal
karlb wrote: My 2*4TB HGST has been running continuously for much longer (over 7 years) with no issues. SMART also still showing them as good.
4 years is nothing.
It's a per-case basis.
The ones I want to swap out at WD Red (non-Pro). It's a simply storage server (disks are running from a desktop case, not NAS box)

In my lifetime of disks which back then I swore by only WD Reds:
1st failure: 6TB catastrophic failure, after a reboot, clicking of death. SMART did not catch it. Happened at the 3 years and 6 month mark (6 months beyond vendor warranty). WD refused to replace.
2nd failure: 8TB developed bad sectors within 2 years. Was picked up by SMART. Was replaced under warranty.
3rd failure: Another 6TB with a catastrophic failure, after a reboot, clicking of death. SMART again failed to catch it. Happened 4 years and 8 months in (20 months beyond warranty)
4th failure: 4TB that I kept as a backup drive was pulled out 2 years later from my stash of extra hard disk for a new server install. Powered on and catastrophic failure right away. Had to use my second spare 4TB which worked fine.

My remaining WD Red drive now has 4x 8TB (1 out of 4 is the one replaced under warranty), and 2x 10TB (air-filled ones, runs much hotter than the 8TB helium filled ones).

I know they are supposed to run for longer, but I put it to myself to replace them when they go over their warranties, and just sell my drives as tested used for cheaper to finance the new drives.
~ Meru Meru ~
Jan 10, 2011
481 posts
296 upvotes
MaDgamEr wrote: Anti-static bag is normal for system builder components, part of the reason for the better price is that there is no (expensive) retail packaging. As for the damage, did you not check the drive over before you bought it? Also aside of the store and credit card route, the drive does have a mnfr warranty... Why not go that route? While your experience has been negative, it seems like it was preventable.
2 things: It was curbside pickup, after the sun went down. Second, the damage was so minor you could not have noticed it while inside the sealed anti-static bag.

About the manufacturer warranty, well according to Canada Computers, the drive was damaged by being dropped. I agree with them, except they dropped it not me. Will the manufacturer RMA a drive that had been dropped if they came to that conclusion? Not my problem to find out, CC could have easily gone that route.