Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Canada Computers

Zenbook 14X, 14" 2.8K OLED Touch, Ryzen 7 5800H/16GB/512GB, $899

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2022 4:44 pm
Jul 26, 2009
177 posts
11 upvotes
In the market for a new laptop for general use, not in a rush, so debating if I should buy this or wait for black Friday.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
4643 posts
2114 upvotes
Toronto
Gentoo wrote: I have the Vivobook version of this with the 3050 GPU. There's a lot to love, but there are a few downsides to this. Make sure you are comfortable with 16GB of RAM since that's not changeable. One of my biggest regrets is not choosing a model with a free RAM slot, I'm currently hitting 8-10GB during normal usage. This is nothing to worry about right now, but I'm worried for 3-5 years down the line.

The biggest drawback is battery life, for my use case (productivity and coding) I've never been able to achieve over 6 hours, using Linux and heavily optimizing the battery usage.

The thing I love most about this laptop is the screen. Going back to my old Thinkpads is almost torture because of how good the ASUS screens looks. Sometimes I just sit and stare at my screen, and notice how vibrant the icons and webpages look on this thing. 90Hz is amazing as well, making motion seem very smooth. Sometimes I just prefer to use it over my desktop because the screen looks way nicer than my monitors (Two 2k Dell Ultrasharps from 2018)
Thanks for the review.

How are you ascertaining the memory usage?

I wonder if lowering the refresh rate would increase battery life.

One approach to optimizing power use has been "race to sleep" -- run processes quickly to get to the next point of waiting. My feeling is that this doesn't work for web browsers since some javascript thing will eat all the CPU that it can get. Better to throttle the processor or at least certain processes.
May 15, 2017
184 posts
125 upvotes
Bc Canada
Val2020 wrote: Would this be a good gaming laptop? Thinking of Christmas for my WOW gamer son.
Definitely not, I would look at a more dedicated gaming laptop if his main usage is for gaming. You can find gaming laptops with a 3060 near this price range. you pay a premium to have a thin a light laptop.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2013
1993 posts
937 upvotes
Richmond Hill
WoW great laptop great price

But I don't need it.....sad
May 15, 2017
184 posts
125 upvotes
Bc Canada
xqz wrote: Screen is only 60hz according to Canada Computers. I wonder if Asus or CC has the right specs
Just a screw up on Canada computers end. On their overview it says 60hz, but if you click the specifications tab, they list it as 90hz, and Asus site confirms 90hz
Jan 28, 2010
233 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Hugh wrote: Thanks for the review.

How are you ascertaining the memory usage?

I wonder if lowering the refresh rate would increase battery life.

One approach to optimizing power use has been "race to sleep" -- run processes quickly to get to the next point of waiting. My feeling is that this doesn't work for web browsers since some javascript thing will eat all the CPU that it can get. Better to throttle the processor or at least certain processes.
I've been using btop to give me my memory usage.

I thought about decreasing resolution/refresh for better battery life, but then I would be giving up the one aspect of the laptop it has over everyone else. Plus I think I've spoiled by the higher refresh rate. Everything feels slower without it, hah.

How do you enable "race to sleep"? Web browser takes a lot of power, so I will usually quit Firefox when I'm not actively browsing anything. I know a lot of pages I go to will usually run JS in the background or auto refresh every so often.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2635 posts
1592 upvotes
Calgary
Interesting. Didn't realize that. I'm in Alberta myself so I guess I wouldn't get the 30% anyways.

That being said, I did notice a variant of this with the Ryzen 5825U processor at MemEx for $1099. It has a larger 75whr battery instead of 63whr in the 5800 version, and with it being a 15w processor you're sacrificing some performance for much lower power consumption. If battery life is a concern do you think this would be the better option?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00122127
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2005
1596 posts
878 upvotes
Dang. So many laptop deals.

First was Costco HP aero at $799
Then the Lenovo thinkpad 15p at $674ish
And now this with a possibly price of $809

I’m in the market for an update. I pulled the trigger on the HP and think pad. Leaning towards the thinkpad for the screen size and price. I do a lot of work on my computer and need the bigger screen. That being said 14” isn’t such a huge difference from 15” and that screen being oled.

In need of some good advice and recommendations from those who know computers lol.

Ps if anyone wants the hp for cost let me know. Otherwise I’m returning to Newmarket next week.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6305 posts
7484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Devhux wrote: Interesting. Didn't realize that. I'm in Alberta myself so I guess I wouldn't get the 30% anyways.

That being said, I did notice a variant of this with the Ryzen 5825U processor at MemEx for $1099. It has a larger 75whr battery instead of 63whr in the 5800 version, and with it being a 15w processor you're sacrificing some performance for much lower power consumption. If battery life is a concern do you think this would be the better option?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00122127
$1100 doesn't seem hot for those specs. It's tolerable if you need a laptop now, but with the holiday season right around the corner, I'd expect better deals to appear.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6305 posts
7484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Superman_2099 wrote: Dang. So many laptop deals.
If you're primarily using this at home and battery life isn't a concern, I'd choose the ThinkBook 15p

Decent specs that should be enough for awhile, and relatively cheap compared to the others. It has more upgradable components as well.

You're better off upgrading more frequently than spending more at once.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21537 upvotes
With all the news of chip / pc glut, I wonder if we will get many other great deals come Black Friday.
Nov 25, 2021
520 posts
856 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: With all the news of chip / pc glut, I wonder if we will get many other great deals come Black Friday.
Wondering this too. Keep hearing that computer sales have been collapsing, and at the same time component prices are now going up, which would hamper demand even further and possibly lead to oversupply? Not sure.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56486 posts
21537 upvotes
DrasticPig wrote: Wondering this too. Keep hearing that computer sales have been collapsing, and at the same time component prices are now going up, which would hamper demand even further and possibly lead to oversupply? Not sure.
My 4th gen Haswell desktop with 16 GB RAM, 250 GB Samsung SSD, and a bigger HDD has been serving me well on my 43" LG 4K TV.

Also have a 7th gen Lenovo Yoga 8 GB RAM, 200+ GB NVMe SSD, touch input. Only had to tweak some settings to Chrome and Edge and it's been working great so far and not stalling.

I don't game though nor am I the artistic kind so I'm a very basic user.

Would love to upgrade and get the Surface Pro X but feel I really don't need another device lol.
Sep 21, 2003
346 posts
43 upvotes
ottawa
Hemi558 wrote: Definitely not, I would look at a more dedicated gaming laptop if his main usage is for gaming. You can find gaming laptops with a 3060 near this price range. you pay a premium to have a thin a light laptop.
Can this run MS Flight Sim?
Sanity is the Playground for the Un-imaginitive
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2015
1689 posts
2246 upvotes
Roxboro, QC
My issue is always the same. What is the point of having a beast of a processor without a discrete --even something as low as a 3050? Sure maybe there are few out there that encode videos all day but the bottleneck here from day one is the graphic output. Either go U or an H with discrete. This H with no discrete is nonsense usage cases.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2181 posts
2312 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Superman_2099 wrote: Iffy on the Canada computers part. Price match at memory or new egg?
wlee wrote: Newegg isn't better

newegg is worse IMO. go with memex if you're worried about cc.
Aug 16, 2019
172 posts
213 upvotes
in memory express I see price more thn $1000 what I m missing here is it only in store deal?
Sep 1, 2018
200 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
You are correct. I called the Etobicoke Memory Express and they confirmed it's 30% of the price difference in store. They're selling it for $1200, so 30% of $300 $90. They quoted me $809 final price after price match, & I went running! $809 for this laptop is a STEAL!
13700KF @5.3GHz | Noctua NH-D14 | Aorus Master Z690 | 32GB DDR5 @5600mhz | GTX 1080 TI | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro & 2TB WD SN850X | AW3420DW | Seasonic 760wt Platinum | Corsair 300R | Win 11