• Sep 7th, 2020 9:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2537 posts
681 upvotes
Thornhill

Canada Covid Exposure Notification App public release

Canada Covid Exposure Notification App now accepts Beta Testers sign up.

You can sign up through this page:
https://digital.canada.ca/covid-app-beta/

Tweets related to the app:
https://twitter.com/CDS_GC

I have submitted the form, but so far have not received any reply emails or instructions on how to download the app.

Update 2020-07-31:
App now available in App store - recommends iOS 13.5 and Android 6.
Last edited by nosnoop on Jul 31st, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2537 posts
681 upvotes
Thornhill
They are using TestFlight for the beta testing.
You will receive an email to ask you to install TestFlight. And you will be given a code to enter into TestFlight.
Once entered, "Covid Alert" app will be installed in your phone.
Aug 1, 2012
901 posts
190 upvotes
Cambridge
Wasn't it supposed to go live today? Still don't see it in the Play store.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10521 posts
1714 upvotes
All spots filled, which is nice. Hopefully it works and people will use it when it is available.

[1/3] Beta testing of the #COVID19 exposure notification app is now closed.

The country rallied, and the spots have been filled. Thank you!

So what happens next? ...
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2537 posts
681 upvotes
Thornhill
82 wrote: So what happens next? ...
Just received and submitted a feedback questionnaire for the beta app.
I think they also plan to test out the alert by simulating some "positive" cases.

I guess this beta testing phase should be a short one and the official app should roll out very soon.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11358 posts
7663 upvotes
Edmonton
Put in a request to join the beta group yesterday afternoon, got and email confirming I was in shortly after, and got the instructions and link to install the TestFlight app this morning around noon.

Not terribly exciting, but it will hopefully be better (in the end) than the stupid Government of Alberta app, which had to be running front and center all the time (on Apple devices). That design was doomed for failure right from the start.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
2537 posts
681 upvotes
Thornhill
They have just released a new beta version 1.0.2 (65) for iOS. Updated using TestFlight.
Guess they fixed some bugs, but no changelog.

Have been paying attention to battery drain, and have not noticed any significant change before/after installing the app so far.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
14712 posts
2709 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I noticed there's another option built within iOS now as well. Has anyone compared?
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10521 posts
1714 upvotes
It is nice of them to publish the source code like Germany. Hope we have more people install it than Germany's Corona-Warn app.
CNeufeld wrote: Anyone can install it. Just won't be much good outside of Ontario.

Source code has also been posted on github. There's a thread in the Off Topic area for it.

C
Mar 6, 2015
689 posts
50 upvotes
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1795 posts
685 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I have nine of fourteen covid-19 symptoms, but my test cam back negative. Three of the ones I don't have are the sever, seek medical attention immediately ones.

I understand there is actually a fairly high rate of false negatives. If so it makes the app much less useful, as it only flags positive test results. Also since most will only know about this app after they are tested, you are not likely to get ids from people who shouldn't already be self isolating.

But my main question, is if I don't have covid-19 what else should I expect it is? I already had a flu shot, and a flu twice this year. This doesn't seem like any flu I have before. Particularly I have never heard of flu causing a loss of sense of smell without the nasal passages being blocked.
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10521 posts
1714 upvotes
This is not the place for diagnosis but you mentioned "loss of sense of smell" which needs immediate attention. If you really have this symptom, try to get a retest or at least talk to a doctor immediately. Wear a mask and self-isolate as much as you can until second result is in.
facebook259 wrote: I have nine of fourteen covid-19 symptoms, but my test cam back negative. Three of the ones I don't have are the sever, seek medical attention immediately ones.

I understand there is actually a fairly high rate of false negatives. If so it makes the app much less useful, as it only flags positive test results. Also since most will only know about this app after they are tested, you are not likely to get ids from people who shouldn't already be self isolating.

But my main question, is if I don't have covid-19 what else should I expect it is? I already had a flu shot, and a flu twice this year. This doesn't seem like any flu I have before. Particularly I have never heard of flu causing a loss of sense of smell without the nasal passages being blocked.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1795 posts
685 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
82 wrote: This is not the place for diagnosis but you mentioned "loss of sense of smell" which needs immediate attention. If you really have this symptom, try to get a retest or at least talk to a doctor immediately. Wear a mask and self-isolate as much as you can until second result is in.
Why I appreciate the thought, I think I will go with the Ontario Health website which does not list this as one of the urgent symptoms.

My sense of smell loss is not complete. In fact it seems quite selective. I cannot smell coffee, so coffee tastes absolutely discusting. But I can smell pepper and cat pea, just probably reduced sensitivity.

Most other symptoms can be explained if I assume multiple causes. But that is indeed the tricky one. Overall the main point of a positive test would be just for statics and tracking. It is not lot a diagnosis or lack there of will change my treatment should I need to go to the hospital. It might change my employers leave policy. But if I am not well enough to work, it is strictly an accounting procedure on there side.

However, if it is something else, determining that might change my what medical treatment I should receive.