Canada Covid Exposure Notification App public release

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2020 9:50 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10515 posts
1713 upvotes
From Health Canada
Symptoms of COVID-19 can vary from person to person. Symptoms may also vary in different age groups. Some of the more commonly reported symptoms include:

new or worsening cough
shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
temperature equal to or over 38°C
feeling feverish
chills
fatigue or weakness
muscle or body aches
new loss of smell or taste
headache
gastrointestinal symptoms (abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting)
feeling very unwell
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... ptoms.html

From World health
Less common symptoms:
aches and pains.
sore throat.
diarrhoea.
conjunctivitis.
headache.
loss of taste or smell.
a rash on skin, or discolouration of fingers or toes.
https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_3

facebook259 wrote: Why I appreciate the thought, I think I will go with the Ontario Health website which does not list this as one of the urgent symptoms.

My sense of smell loss is not complete. In fact it seems quite selective. I cannot smell coffee, so coffee tastes absolutely discusting. But I can smell pepper and cat pea, just probably reduced sensitivity.

Most other symptoms can be explained if I assume multiple causes. But that is indeed the tricky one. Overall the main point of a positive test would be just for statics and tracking. It is not lot a diagnosis or lack there of will change my treatment should I need to go to the hospital. It might change my employers leave policy. But if I am not well enough to work, it is strictly an accounting procedure on there side.

However, if it is something else, determining that might change my what medical treatment I should receive.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11341 posts
7648 upvotes
Edmonton
So has anyone read any updates/stats on the usefulness of this app? Cases caught/tracked/etc?

C
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
5227 posts
1922 upvotes
Debtario
I downloaded the app and then deleted it a few weeks later.

It needs an always-on data connection, which I do not have due to having very limited data. I know of some seniors and low income folks that also do not have data connections, making this useless for them. Carriers should provide a limited free data service that will only allow connections to that government domain.

I assumed it could collect bluetooth IDs offline and then sync to check them once it has a connection, but not so. I suppose that an offline collection and sync would defeat the purpose of quickly notifying people (since it could be too long before it syncs, if the exposure happened several days ago, or if your diagnosis did not sync either) but better than zero capability at all IMO.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10515 posts
1713 upvotes
Are you sure about that?

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/ ... /help.html

Data usage
COVID Alert needs an Internet connection at least once each day to work, and it could be through Wi-Fi or a data plan. When it's connected, it uses a very small amount of data, about the same as receiving a single email per day.
M1K3Z0R wrote: I downloaded the app and then deleted it a few weeks later.

It needs an always-on data connection, which I do not have due to having very limited data. I know of some seniors and low income folks that also do not have data connections, making this useless for them. Carriers should provide a limited free data service that will only allow connections to that government domain.

I assumed it could collect bluetooth IDs offline and then sync to check them once it has a connection, but not so. I suppose that an offline collection and sync would defeat the purpose of quickly notifying people (since it could be too long before it syncs, if the exposure happened several days ago, or if your diagnosis did not sync either) but better than zero capability at all IMO.
Masks can reduce spread of COVID-19 by 83.3% and keep economy open, wear one!
*external links and short links are not allowed