Shopping Discussion

Canada Customs Question - Duties on BBQ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2008 9:27 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey

Canada Customs Question - Duties on BBQ?

Tried to find a phone number of the border crossing but had no luck. :-(

Looking at possibly buying a BBQ in the USA and was curious if I would be subject to PST/GST + duties, or just PST/GST?

I know there are a couple of CBSA people here, so if you could provide some clues as to what I would expect, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
7 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2803 posts
30 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Looking at possibly buying a BBQ in the USA and was curious if I would be subject to PST/GST + duties, or just PST/GST?
In what country is it made? That will dictate whether duty applies.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
31 upvotes
More than likely just GST and PST, but without you giving me more specifics, that's just a general idea.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote: so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2003
1679 posts
5762 upvotes
Toronto
I believe BBQs are classified as 7321.11.90.30 under the Customs Tariff.

So, if the BBQ was made in USA or Mexico, it would be duty free.

If made in China, the General Preferential Tariff treatment would apply and you could be charged 5% duty.

If made in a country where the Most-Favoured-Nation tariff treatment applies (ie Taiwan), then 8% duty could be charged.

As others have said, it depends where the BBQ is made.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey
Ebola wrote: More than likely just GST and PST, but without you giving me more specifics, that's just a general idea.
Sorry, I meant to give origin details. According to the retailer's web site (Wal*Mart):

BBQ 1 - Item manufacturing: USA and/or Imported
Assembled in Country of Origin: USA and/or Imported
Origin of Components: USA and/or Imported

BBQ 2 - Item manufacturing: USA and/or Imported

I'll be making a quick run down tonight just to look at one of them to see if it's a nice buy and hopefully will be able to get more info from the box.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
31 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Sorry, I meant to give origin details. According to the retailer's web site (Wal*Mart):

BBQ 1 - Item manufacturing: USA and/or Imported

BBQ 2 - Item manufacturing: USA and/or Imported

I'll be making a quick run down tonight just to look at one of them to see if it's a nice buy and hopefully will be able to get more info from the box.
Again it should be just GST and PST, absolutely if it's made in NA, and otherwise I doubt the officer is going to go verify the country of origin to be honest.
The wonderous minds of some RFDers:
nx2k wrote: so let me get this straight
if you did the crime, you should do the time?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
214 upvotes
Surrey
Ebola wrote: Again it should be just GST and PST, absolutely if it's made in NA, and otherwise I doubt the officer is going to go verify the country of origin to be honest.
Thanks for your prompt replies, folks!

Edit: Made a run for the border, got a different BBQ which according to the label was Made in China and only got dinged taxes. The information in this thread was very much helpful since I was expecting the duty to be much higher than just 5-8% so it certainly eased my mind.

It's too bad CBSA no longer lists the numbers for the individual border crossings since I could have phoned them directly instead of that useless 1800 number which only has people responding for a few hours Mon-Fri.

Thanks again.

T
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
19485 posts
2104 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote: Tried to find a phone number of the border crossing but had no luck. :-(

Looking at possibly buying a BBQ in the USA and was curious if I would be subject to PST/GST + duties, or just PST/GST?

I know there are a couple of CBSA people here, so if you could provide some clues as to what I would expect, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
All the current tarrif rates are posted here:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/trade-commerce/ta ... 1-eng.html

However the general rule of thumb is, unless it's clothing, as long as you are polite and don't try to sneak the item past them most CBSA officers rarely charge duty on durable goods. They will just charge you GST/PST or HST.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings