Food & Drink

Canada Dry to pay $200K court settlement after B.C. man questions ‘made from real ginger’ slogan

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2021 8:55 am
37 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1089 posts
1643 upvotes
scarborough
where's the cream in cream soda
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12042 posts
1805 upvotes
I don't find this that ridiculous at all. Actually saying made from real ginger is different.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8780 posts
2709 upvotes
Mississauga
I always thought there was real ginger because of their claim, which turns out to be false.
So they're not going to change their label, they're asking for more lawsuits.
There goes the trust in their brand!
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36097 posts
4638 upvotes
Winnipeg
oh i also thought they had real ginger in it
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7147 posts
3322 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Note, the suit was filed to stop deceptive advertisement. The damages awarded did not cover the cost of legal fees.
Around $100,000 of the settlement will cover legal costs even though lawyers spent more than $220,000 researching and litigating the case. The remainder of the settlement will go to the Law Foundation of British Columbia.

Cardoso and a plaintiff from Alberta both received $1,500 honourarium
The suit benefits us all.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
10113 posts
4780 upvotes
Toronto
so the man gets nothing ?? lol
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Jan 12, 2017
472 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Court documents say Canada Dry Mott’s Inc. agreed to pay $200,000, and more than $18,000 in disbursements, but “expressly denies liability and is not required to change its product labelling or advertising for products marketed in Canada.”

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9235 posts
2250 upvotes
Vancouver
This is good to know. I like ginger ale but it may make more sense to buy real ginger beer when looking for ginger flavour or it’s stomach calming properties.

Really disappointed they’d mislead people like this. In fairness there is some level of ginger in there. However the trade off for sugar doesn’t make it worth it. I enjoy diet drinks but diet ginger ale has to be the worst at least imo
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6836 posts
4084 upvotes
Aurora
Victor Cardoso claimed he bought the product because ginger had medicinal benefits.
LOL. Whadda maroon. Probably also buys strawberry cheesecake for the health benefits of fruit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8780 posts
2709 upvotes
Mississauga
To be fair, ginger does have benefits such as soothing nausea.
We also drank ginger ale when we were sick as a good source of hydration and to calm our stomachs.
In our family growing up, we use ginger in alot of our cooking.

Six health benefits of ginger: https://www.insider.com/ginger-benefits
Last edited by Raggie on Oct 30th, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14217 posts
9673 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What? thought it was made with real ginger.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19500 posts
2204 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
thriftshopper wrote: Note, the suit was filed to stop deceptive advertisement. The damages awarded did not cover the cost of legal fees.

The suit benefits us all.
Ya what’s my cut?
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4000 posts
22714 upvotes
Didn’t they win this case in the US last year?
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4016 posts
1625 upvotes
Scarborough
Kinda like when stuff is MADE IN CHINA but they prefer to call it ASSEMBLED IN CANADA.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
7147 posts
3322 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
OrangeBerry wrote: Kinda like when stuff is MADE IN CHINA but they prefer to call it ASSEMBLED IN CANADA.
They usually says with parts from X, Y and Z.

China is the future of mass production. Unbeatable economies of scale and a pro-industrial government and society.

I was reading a few years ago that a U.S. startup could launch funding for a new product idea. Someone in China can just find out what the idea is and get a product to production (all sourced through Alibaba) before the Americans can even assemble a prototype.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1032 posts
580 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
It's no different than "beachwood aged" Budweiser which give you the impression that it's all aged in giant beachwood casks.. It's actually aged in 50k gallon stainless steel vessels with a few beachwood sticks, the size of paint stirring sticks, tossed in.