Food & Drink

Canada Dry to pay $200K court settlement after B.C. man questions ‘made from real ginger’ slogan

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 9:52 pm
24 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11348 posts
1381 upvotes
I don't find this that ridiculous at all. Actually saying made from real ginger is different.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8524 posts
2469 upvotes
Mississauga
I always thought there was real ginger because of their claim, which turns out to be false.
So they're not going to change their label, they're asking for more lawsuits.
There goes the trust in their brand!
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4967 posts
2182 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Note, the suit was filed to stop deceptive advertisement. The damages awarded did not cover the cost of legal fees.
Around $100,000 of the settlement will cover legal costs even though lawyers spent more than $220,000 researching and litigating the case. The remainder of the settlement will go to the Law Foundation of British Columbia.

Cardoso and a plaintiff from Alberta both received $1,500 honourarium
The suit benefits us all.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9431 posts
4068 upvotes
Toronto
so the man gets nothing ?? lol
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Jan 12, 2017
238 posts
232 upvotes
Toronto
Court documents say Canada Dry Mott’s Inc. agreed to pay $200,000, and more than $18,000 in disbursements, but “expressly denies liability and is not required to change its product labelling or advertising for products marketed in Canada.”

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8408 posts
1304 upvotes
Vancouver
This is good to know. I like ginger ale but it may make more sense to buy real ginger beer when looking for ginger flavour or it’s stomach calming properties.

Really disappointed they’d mislead people like this. In fairness there is some level of ginger in there. However the trade off for sugar doesn’t make it worth it. I enjoy diet drinks but diet ginger ale has to be the worst at least imo
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6395 posts
3399 upvotes
Aurora
Victor Cardoso claimed he bought the product because ginger had medicinal benefits.
LOL. Whadda maroon. Probably also buys strawberry cheesecake for the health benefits of fruit.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8524 posts
2469 upvotes
Mississauga
To be fair, ginger does have benefits such as soothing nausea.
We also drank ginger ale when we were sick as a good source of hydration and to calm our stomachs.
In our family growing up, we use ginger in alot of our cooking.

Six health benefits of ginger: https://www.insider.com/ginger-benefits
Last edited by Raggie on Oct 30th, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.