Personal Finance

Canada Education Savings Grant - when does govt contribute?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2019 5:51 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
293 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

Canada Education Savings Grant - when does govt contribute?

I opened an RESP for my kids a few months ago. when the RESP was opened up the bank also filled out the forms for CESG and sent them off. any idea when the government is supposed to kick in their 20%? i dumped some money in there the day it was opened. just want to make sure the bank did the forms correctly, or see if i need to intervene and correct things
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 1, 2007
8431 posts
1466 upvotes
It's usually on a few month's delay. You should be getting it soon. If not, call the bank.

Edit: always at end of month
Money Smarts Blog wrote: I agree with the previous posters, especially Thalo. {And} Thalo's advice is spot on.
Feb 9, 2018
378 posts
276 upvotes
Your very first CESG payment can take almost 2 months to appear in account if you are contributing monthly. Organizations typically send contribution detail after a month and it can take another 3-4 weeks from that point to receive CESG grant. After that it should appear in account every month.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
776 upvotes
centre of universe
what ⬆ he said. Do not worry OP.
How long it will take to process the application

The application must be complete and accurate to avoid delays. Once accepted, the Government of Canada will deposit the CESG in the Registered Education Savings Plan (RESP) within 65 days of a contribution.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18383 posts
2781 upvotes
Langley
I'm with Questrade. The match is posted the last day of the following month, ie contributions in January will come Feb 28. New account could be longer? I'd start digging after 3 months.