• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2020 4:54 pm
[OP]
Oct 15, 2017
362 posts
234 upvotes
Canada

Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) Questions

Hi, I applied for EI (transferred to CERB) and have received the first payment.

The company I work for informed us that they are applying for the 75% Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy, so we will be able to resume work (telecommute) starting April 13th. In addition, we will no longer be eligible for CERB (as of April 13th) and have been told to update our status with a return to work date of April 13th.

I logged into the Canada My Service Account website, but do not see where to update a return to work date. Is that done when I fill in my next report?

Thank you for all the help!

P.S. Started a separate thread, to keep things organized and not to derail the very helpful EI thread sticky.
P.S.S. Mods, could we make this thread a sticky for all CERB related questions.

Links from Government of Canada website:
What is the Canada Emergency Response Benefit: Who is eligible?
Apply for Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) with CRA

Note from second link above:
Information: Do not apply for the CERB if you have already applied for EI
If you have not already applied for EI, you can apply for the CERB. You can do this with the CRA or with Service Canada, but not both. The answers you provide to a few simple questions will help us direct you to the service option that best fits your situation. Answer the questions under Get Started, on the Canada Emergency Response Benefit page.
Last edited by dsweetlou on Apr 9th, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65 replies
Oct 3, 2013
976 posts
1208 upvotes
If you've received the CERB benefit, it seems you will not be able to backdate CEWS to the previous pay periods, and just have the CEWS cover you for pay periods starting now.

I am not aware of any option to update your status and/or re-pay CERB (though I am not covered, so do not have access to the CERB portals). My guess is that you do not have to take any further action, since you will have to re-apply for CERB each month anyway. If you don't re-apply, you don't get CERB for the upcoming period and just transition to CEWS.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32162 posts
18015 upvotes
Ottawa
Phonophoresis wrote: If you've received the CERB benefit, it seems you will not be able to backdate CEWS to the previous pay periods, and just have the CEWS cover you for pay periods starting now.

I am not aware of any option to update your status and/or re-pay CERB (though I am not covered, so do not have access to the CERB portals). My guess is that you do not have to take any further action, since you will have to re-apply for CERB each month anyway. If you don't re-apply, you don't get CERB for the upcoming period and just transition to CEWS.
My thoughts also.
Don't apply for the next payment schedule.
Jun 23, 2017
149 posts
84 upvotes
Hello RFD I had a general question about CERB:
- I am 69 years old. I was on EI until December 2019 when it finished.
- I had made over $5000 last year in income
- I got a contract job for a month in Jan 2020 - the contract only lasted 10 days
- I was hired for a position which would begin on April 1 but it got shelved because of COVID

Will I qualify for CERB?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9299 posts
1792 upvotes
Edmonton
ninjasmilez11 wrote: Hello RFD I had a general question about CERB:
- I am 69 years old. I was on EI until December 2019 when it finished.
- I had made over $5000 last year in income
- I got a contract job for a month in Jan 2020 - the contract only lasted 10 days
- I was hired for a position which would begin on April 1 but it got shelved because of COVID

Will I qualify for CERB?
No, you didn't stop working due to Covid-19
Aug 15, 2015
17 posts
Toronto, ON
Hello,
I received EI benefit until 2019-Oct, no job income in the whole 2019. no job in 2020. just stay at home.
Is the EI benefit counted as employment income when applying for CERB? can I get CERB or other benefits?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6077 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
vkizzle wrote: My thoughts also.
Don't apply for the next payment schedule.
I think 50% of op's CERB benefit will be claw back down the line, since he/she was recalled and will start to work on April 13.
Aug 13, 2003
317 posts
172 upvotes
Calgary
cgtlky wrote: I think 50% of op's CERB benefit will be claw back down the line, since he/she was recalled and will start to work on April 13.
The first period for the CERB was March 15 to April 11. They got their $2000 for being out of work for at least 14 days that period. The second period is April 12 to May 9. They are starting work April 13 which is this second period coming up. They will not get CERB for this second period because they are back to work and on payroll during this second period. Nothing should get clawed back for the CERB they got for the first period.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2017
362 posts
234 upvotes
Canada
@cgtlky @DentDude thanks for the replies.

My first day off was Tues. March 24th, so if I'm back at work by April 13th, it will be just under 3 weeks. Things were moving quickly the last week of March after our company closed, we were encouraged to apply for EI right away. Then the government talked about CERB - not sure of the exact timing. My first reports covered the first week I was off, then March 30th to April 3rd. Either way, there will be some figuring out to do at tax time.
Nov 22, 2017
52 posts
24 upvotes
m2j0b7
Need help to understand if I qualify for the first period or not i.e. between March 15 to April 11.
  • I am self-employed and used to do consultancy work from one US client for several years. I stopped getting work since second week of the march because of Covid as my client is trying to do some cost cuttings.
  • My Feb work invoice was cleared by client in two parts (in mid march and end of march). I haven't even got the March invoice cleared yet (as I worked for few days in early march) and there's no clarity when it will get cleared.
  • Currently I am not sure if I fall under out-of-work / income for 14 consecutive days because I got the funds in my account in end of March (but again it was for Feb invoice).
  • Technically I didn't work for more than 14 consecutive days between March 15 to April 11, but I am not sure what sort of documents will be required later on to prove it because of one transaction falling within 14-day period. Should I apply for CERB for this period or skip it?
  • Also in case of self-employed, there's not much clarity about eligibility. Like for employees, government get to know salaries for exact time period as employers report everything. But for self-employed, we pay taxes in the end and report for entire year. How to prove in this complicated scenario?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6077 posts
1227 upvotes
Toronto
DentDude wrote: The first period for the CERB was March 15 to April 11. They got their $2000 for being out of work for at least 14 days that period. The second period is April 12 to May 9. They are starting work April 13 which is this second period coming up. They will not get CERB for this second period because they are back to work and on payroll during this second period. Nothing should get clawed back for the CERB they got for the first period.
After reading various articles about CERB, its is a taxable income and will be added to your total income for 2020. So , it does not matter if you got paid $2000 or $8000. On tax time you will be tax heavily, specially if you got both EI and CERB + employment income.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2069 posts
944 upvotes
Ottawa
cgtlky wrote: After reading various articles about CERB, its is a taxable income and will be added to your total income for 2020. So , it does not matter if you got paid $2000 or $8000. On tax time you will be tax heavily, specially if you got both EI and CERB + employment income.
This is crazy logic. It's taxable so who cares how much you get? I guess I should be refusing raises as half goes to taxes.
Jun 21, 2009
369 posts
68 upvotes
Markham
cgtlky wrote: After reading various articles about CERB, its is a taxable income and will be added to your total income for 2020. So , it does not matter if you got paid $2000 or $8000. On tax time you will be tax heavily, specially if you got both EI and CERB + employment income.
like getting a paycheck which lots are not getting right now. Everything is taxed!!!
Nov 22, 2017
52 posts
24 upvotes
m2j0b7
vishal198900 wrote: Need help to understand if I qualify for the first period or not i.e. between March 15 to April 11.
  • I am self-employed and used to do consultancy work from one US client for several years. I stopped getting work since second week of the march because of Covid as my client is trying to do some cost cuttings.
  • My Feb work invoice was cleared by client in two parts (in mid march and end of march). I haven't even got the March invoice cleared yet (as I worked for few days in early march) and there's no clarity when it will get cleared.
  • Currently I am not sure if I fall under out-of-work / income for 14 consecutive days because I got the funds in my account in end of March (but again it was for Feb invoice).
  • Technically I didn't work for more than 14 consecutive days between March 15 to April 11, but I am not sure what sort of documents will be required later on to prove it because of one transaction falling within 14-day period. Should I apply for CERB for this period or skip it?
  • Also in case of self-employed, there's not much clarity about eligibility. Like for employees, government get to know salaries for exact time period as employers report everything. But for self-employed, we pay taxes in the end and report for entire year. How to prove in this complicated scenario?
Can someone help me with this question: Technically I didn't work for more than 14 consecutive days between March 15 to April 11, but I am not sure what sort of documents will be required later on to prove it because of one transaction falling within 14-day period. Should I apply for CERB for this period or skip it?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)