Personal Finance

Canada Emergency Response Benefit - resources & how to apply

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 10th, 2020 5:50 pm
Newbie
Apr 16, 2020
7 posts
I am on Ei received 2000 and 1000 from EI but did the reports tomorrow I have a report to do and one of my employers sent me 750 from leui overtime banked hours and 50 dollars of vacation. I can't speak to them on the phone bc if I'm on cerb I will not receive more payments etc. So tomorrow I have to tell them my earnings even if I didnt work in my old job since jan 10?
Newbie
Apr 16, 2020
2 posts
Hello i have one question related CERB and EI
As i recieved both payments and i know its by mistake so i put $2000 on side to pay back whenever they ask or i get any news how to do it, but when i tried to apply for second cerb payment they said i cant do with cra as i[/b] get EI from Service Canada and service canada said i am not eligible for EI I should call to CRA so i want to know wht should I do in this situation how to get second payment and how to apply do anyone have this answer for me pls[/b]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
6222 posts
1288 upvotes
Toronto
Guri111 wrote: Hello i have one question related CERB and EI
As i recieved both payments and i know its by mistake so i put $2000 on side to pay back whenever they ask or i get any news how to do it, but when i tried to apply for second cerb payment they said i cant do with cra as i[/b] get EI from Service Canada and service canada said i am not eligible for EI I should call to CRA so i want to know wht should I do in this situation how to get second payment and how to apply do anyone have this answer for me pls[/b]
Share how you lose your job? Layoff?
Newbie
Apr 24, 2018
77 posts
89 upvotes
Ontario
First of all, thanks to everybody who is taking their time to answer questions in this thread!

Due to government lockdown, my place of employment (Kumon) was shut down. The last day I worked was March 18, but I got my paycheque on April 4th and have not worked since. My boss told me he will not be paying us, thus we can apply for the CERB. Given my circumstances and that I did not work for 14 consecutive days in the first period. Can I apply for period 1 and period 2 or am I only eligle for period 2 given that I got my paycheque for the month on April 4th?
Newbie
Apr 16, 2020
2 posts
I stopped working by myself coz i dnt feel safe as I travelled by public transport and my job was in wendys drive thru last say was 21st march of my shift
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
6222 posts
1288 upvotes
Toronto
Guri111 wrote: I stopped working by myself coz i dnt feel safe as I travelled by public transport and my job was in wendys drive thru last say was 21st march of my shift
CERB / EI Qualification:

Who have not quit their job voluntarily.

Since you stopped working by yourself then you are out of luck with both.
Member
Mar 6, 2010
377 posts
132 upvotes
Brampton
cgtlky wrote: On this Q&A https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... tions.html

For anyone who became eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits on March 15, 2020 or later, your Employment Insurance claim will be automatically processed through the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.
That is what I had read but the EI rep said the exact opposite - that first EI claim will finish, then may be CERB if it is still around at that time. Funny that EI amount will be $800 less per month than CERB.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 31, 2006
6222 posts
1288 upvotes
Toronto
luking wrote: That is what I had read but the EI rep said the exact opposite - that first EI claim will finish, then may be CERB if it is still around at that time. Funny that EI amount will be $800 less per month than CERB.
You are already on EI before March 15, so it will be EI all the way.
Member
Mar 6, 2010
377 posts
132 upvotes
Brampton
cgtlky wrote: You are already on EI before March 15, so it will be EI all the way.
Hopefully. At least one would be better than none which is the case for past 12 days. No reports to fill out, no money either. :-(
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 15, 2018
157 posts
129 upvotes
He applied for the CERB once and got $3,500 in 3 weeks, but Ottawa says it’s not an error

“Canadians who apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) through Service Canada and the Employment Insurance program, and meet the eligibility requirements, will receive an initial payment of $2000. They will then be paid $1000 every two weeks based on their biweekly reports submitted,” Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) told Global News via email.
Still, no one will receive more than 16 weeks’ worth of benefits for a maximum amount of $8,000, the government reiterated.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6834113/cerb ... -no-error/
Jr. Member
User avatar
Feb 15, 2018
157 posts
129 upvotes
Canada VS USA Stimulus Package.

Canadian: Can I get my stimulus $?

Canada: Yep, go to this website and get it in 2 days.

American: Can I get my stimulus $?

America: In 3 months we'll tie your check to a balloon floating somewhere on Earth. You have 1 hour to find the balloon or the balloon gets the money.
https://en.brinkwire.com/news/how-did-t ... -so-badly/
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
3139 posts
167 upvotes
East York
Edmontonian22 wrote: Canada VS USA Stimulus Package.

Canadian: Can I get my stimulus $?

Canada: Yep, go to this website and get it in 2 days.

American: Can I get my stimulus $?

America: In 3 months we'll tie your check to a balloon floating somewhere on Earth. You have 1 hour to find the balloon or the balloon gets the money.
https://en.brinkwire.com/news/how-did-t ... -so-badly/
I've seen multiple news stories where US citizens checked online and it said they received the money, but their payment was deposited in an account that wasn't actually theres. LOL

Top