Canada Emergency Response Benefit - resources & how to apply

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2020 6:57 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5456 posts
435 upvotes
Markham
Darkman wrote: Thanks about April 6 info.

Now ... about this "14 days in a month" business ... Here is my wife's situation:

She worked as self-employed in 2019 ... part time ... maybe 2 days a week or so ... made something like $6,600 for the entire 2019.

Didn't work in 2020 at all ... as on January 10 she went to China for 2 months (she is Chinese) ... but didn't stay in China the entire 2 months (due to Virus situation) ... so she arrived back to Canada on February 28 ... and went straight to "self - isolation" (some room, elsewhere ... not at our place) for 2 weeks or even a bit over 2 weeks.

At the same time when her self isolation ended, the business, where she worked as self-employed in 2019, closed down (due to Virus situation).

And that's where she stands currently ... She neither applied nor going to apply for EI (regardless how much she made, as she didn't didn't pay any EI contributions etc)

You figure she'll qualify for this CERB in some way (either for full $2000 / month (less tax) or even for less than that)? :)
A liberal interpretation would suggest she is applicable because her workplace / place of income is closed due to COVID.

Complicating factor is the vacation, although I believe those self isolating or taking care of sick relative would also qualify.

So my thinking is yes, but those days nothing is for sure.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4311 posts
2669 upvotes
Burnaby
CERB mutually exclusive with 75% wage subsidy (simultaneity)
'ONE OR THE OTHER'
Updating Canadians on the federal government’s response plan to the pandemic, Trudeau confirmed that starting April 6, Canadians can apply for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit and get their money within 10 days or faster if they apply for direct deposit. But if they are set to get the new 75 per cent wage subsidy, they cannot collect both.
Trudeau to recall Parliament to pass multibillion COVID-19 aid increase, CBC, April 1st, 2020

CERB mutually exclusive with EI
Am I eligible for CERB benefits?
- To qualify for CERB benefits, applicants must (a) be a resident of Canada, (b) be 15 years or older, and (c) have had a total income of at least $5,000 (combined) in 2019 or in the 12 months immediately preceding the application, from any of the following sources;
  • Employment income,
  • Self-employment income, and
  • Maternity or parental leave benefits.
- Additionally, to be eligible for the CERB benefit, a worker must receive no income for 14 consecutive days in a 4-week period for which they apply for benefits. This means no income from:
  • Employment or self-employment;
  • Employment Insurance;
  • Any allowances/money/benefits in respect of pregnancy or parental leave, including adoption; or
  • Any other income prescribed by regulation, no regulations have been passed to date.
^ FAQ: the New Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), Unifor, updated March 30, 2020

Excerpts from Unifor CERB FAQ that imply that concatenating EI and CERB might be possible (sequential).
I haven’t yet applied for EI or the CERB, what should I do?
  • Currently, we believe it is most advantageous for EI eligible workers to apply directly to EI, and not wait for the CERB application process to come online. EI benefits paid to workers who apply on or after March 15 will mirror CERB payments for the first 16 weeks. We believe applying for EI will better assist workers, particularly those who expect to continue receiving EI benefits after the initial 16-week period has expired.
  • If a worker is not eligible for EI, the only option available to them is to apply directly to the CERB when applications open.

Should I apply to both EI and the CERB?
  • No. At this point, there is no clear advantage for a worker to apply to both programs.
I started receiving Employment Insurance benefits prior to March 15. Do I qualify for the CERB payments?
  • At this point, the answer is no. You will continue to receive your EI benefits. However, if your EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, and if you meet the CERB eligibility criteria, and if you are still unable to return to work for reasons relating to COVID-19, you can apply to receive CERB benefits.
What if I am still sick or unemployed after October 3, 2020?
  • If you have enough EI insurable hours, you will still be able to access your normal EI benefits after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.
yare yare daze...
[space reserved for peddling, shilling, self-promotion advertising]
Insert here list of companies with referral programs
Mar 31, 2020
101 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
adeel wrote: If consulting still you won’t be eligible for CERB, and prob not EI (I believe you can only earn very little and still get EI).
Thank you, adeel. So, basically, I shouldn't be having any income.

But if my consulting hits a wall too, and there is nothing to work on, then I suppose I can apply...
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5187 posts
3660 upvotes
Vancouver
What counts as $5000 in income? Does a $5000 RRSP withdrawal count since it is declared on income? What about the sale of stocks, let's say you are a day trader etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5456 posts
435 upvotes
Markham
adamtheman wrote: What counts as $5000 in income? Does a $5000 RRSP withdrawal count since it is declared on income? What about the sale of stocks, let's say you are a day trader etc.
Income from employment, self employment or paternity/maternity benefits.

So not rrsp, dividends etc
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5710 posts
1403 upvotes
My wife is a mortgage broker for the past year. Now business is disrupted plus she's at home with the kids, are we eligible for anything? She will still be doing the odd deal but doesnt have near the time or active business for any time soon.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2001
1682 posts
596 upvotes
Oakville
For those who bank with CIBC or Simplii, you can log in and give them your date of birth and SIN and your CIBC/Simplii back account of your choice and they'll link your CRA Direct Deposits including the CERB. I don't recall seeing this feature prior to logging into my simplii today. Any other Banks support this?

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... posit.html

And yes I know you can already do this directly with cra/service Canada.
Jun 19, 2015
657 posts
518 upvotes
Kursor17 wrote: For those who bank with CIBC or Simplii, you can log in and give them your date of birth and SIN and your CIBC/Simplii back account of your choice and they'll link your CRA Direct Deposits including the CERB. I don't recall seeing this feature prior to logging into my simplii today. Any other Banks support this?

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-bankin ... posit.html

And yes I know you can already do this directly with cra/service Canada.
I checked scotia earlier and they have this, but Simplii didn’t when i checked.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12808 posts
7760 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Everyone! I got the answer!

JUST APPLY AND SEE IF YOU QUALIFY!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
12808 posts
7760 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
If you have 2 jobs and lost 1 job but still have the other job, you are not eligible!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2006
2057 posts
575 upvotes
Burnaby
The federal government better have beefed up IT including security for this, if the website crashes or if they have to take it offline on Day 1 it will make a bad situation millions of times worse.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2748 posts
980 upvotes
How are they proving people are caring for someone with COVID for the CERB? This seems like it's open to abuse.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2748 posts
980 upvotes
adamtheman wrote: What counts as $5000 in income? Does a $5000 RRSP withdrawal count since it is declared on income? What about the sale of stocks, let's say you are a day trader etc.
I can't believe there's still no help for people in these situations. STAY INSIDE and he's PREACHING how it's our duty to QUARANTINE, CERB covers MANY but not ALL.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3706 posts
1581 upvotes
Toronto
ph00p wrote: How are they proving people are caring for someone with COVID for the CERB? This seems like it's open to abuse.
That's not a specific requirement. You just need to have stopped working for any COVID related reason of which anything can be made up if needed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

cgtlky