Personal Finance

Canada Emergency Response Benefit - resources & how to apply

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 1:17 am
Feb 27, 2010
304 posts
180 upvotes
Karebear77 wrote: You cannot have earned more than $1000 during the period (July 1 - Aug 1) and you must be not working due to reasons relating to Covid 19.
It doesn't matter when the income is paid, only when it was earned.

Canada.ca has also added the following:

Seeking work opportunities

The CERB is available to provide support to those who are unable to work due to COVID-19. Workers should be seeking work opportunities and/or return to work when their employer makes a request for their return, provided they are able and it is reasonable to do so. You are encouraged to consult Job Bank, Canada’s national employment service that offers tools to help with your job search.
Isn’t the qualifying period July 5-aug1? And for self employed people...if you cannot earn income during the time period...can u say u couldn’t make any income because the economy is slow because of covid? Doesn’t that count as a reason why?
Dec 6, 2016
161 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Who is eligible

The Benefit is available to workers:

Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;

Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits or Employment Insurance fishing benefits between December 29, 2019 and October 3, 2020;

Who had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and,

Who have not quit their job voluntarily.

When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.
When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim
Sep 1, 2015
130 posts
31 upvotes
My son’s EI ran out in mid april(middle of CERB reporting period) and applied for CERB through CRA site thinking was eligible for 2 weeks (500$ a week)of the 4 week reporting period as he made less than 1000$ with EI but no, got the full 2000$. We called TWICE to check this and were given no clear answer, just to go report the next reporting periods as he has started working again since. There is no way to report that you started working again. It is just an application for extra 4 weeks.

What seems to confuse them is when I explain his EI ran out and wether he was eligible for part of the 4 week period. I seem to understand that you cannot receive both EI and CERB during reporting period which would not have been the case if you can receive part EI and part CERB during that 4 week period.

I may not have been clear while calling but we if he really owes back the full 2000$, he wants to send it back. If we go on CRA site it can be done but not sure easy to explain why. Any suggestions? Am I interpreting this correctly?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
2362 posts
612 upvotes
Question about CERB:
I'm currently on CERB and I still have 1 pay left from my job which will be paid on July 31 and it will be over $1000 for sure. Lets say my 2 week period will be from July 19 to August 1.

Since I got paid on May 31st which is the second week of my pay period from CERB. I assume instead of $1000 I will be paid $500 from CERB. Is this correct?
Dec 22, 2010
320 posts
85 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: Send the cheque back and put your SIN# on the memo field. That way, what you owe will reverse by $2000.
skeet50 wrote: As far as the CRA is concerned, you applied for the CERB and received $2000 in payment. The CRA isn't concerned about whether or not you spent the money.

If your goal is to repay the CERB, go through the CRA's website section for paying it back and follow those directions.

The canada.ca website provides the following information if you have the original cheque:

"You can return the cheque by mail.

Be sure to include:

the reason for returning the cheque (not entitled or overpayment)
your Social Insurance Number (SIN) or Temporary Tax Number (TTN)

Mail the cheque to:

Revenue Processing – Repayment of CERB
Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 0C3 "

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... nt.html#h4
Thanks for the info. It's really good to know that I can send the cheque back, but I don't think it's a desirable option under the circumstances. The mail delivery delays are significant right now, and the government workforce is also not fully functional at the moment. Maybe I'll try the option online, and I just want to make sure what's happening with this. There's a button for paying it back right below the information of CERB being issued, and if I click the button, it directs me to enter the amount I return. Does this mean I simply pay the money back with Tax return next year for 2020? Please let me know. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6318 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
Phat_cow wrote: Question about CERB:
I'm currently on CERB and I still have 1 pay left from my job which will be paid on July 31 and it will be over $1000 for sure. Lets say my 2 week period will be from July 19 to August 1.

Since I got paid on May 31st which is the second week of my pay period from CERB. I assume instead of $1000 I will be paid $500 from CERB. Is this correct?
When submitting your first claim, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for 14 or more consecutive days within the four-week benefit period of your claim.

When submitting subsequent claims, you cannot have earned more than $1,000 in employment and/or self-employment income for the entire four-week benefit period of your new claim.

You are on the subsequent claims, then look like you have to return the whole amount you got .
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5641 posts
5002 upvotes
Should be $0 for the month if you made more than $1000
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3271 posts
2627 upvotes
testmann wrote: Thanks for the info. It's really good to know that I can send the cheque back, but I don't think it's a desirable option under the circumstances. The mail delivery delays are significant right now, and the government workforce is also not fully functional at the moment. Maybe I'll try the option online, and I just want to make sure what's happening with this. There's a button for paying it back right below the information of CERB being issued, and if I click the button, it directs me to enter the amount I return. Does this mean I simply pay the money back with Tax return next year for 2020? Please let me know. Thanks.
On the link I provided, if you scroll down to the heading, Impact on Your Taxes it states:

"The CERB is taxable. You will receive a T4A tax slip on the amount of CERB you receive.

If you repay the CERB, the CRA won’t issue a T4A for that payment. To ensure that we don’t issue slips improperly, you need to repay your CERB before December 31, 2020.
If you need more time to repay

If you want to repay your CERB but need more time, contact the CRA to ensure you have an agreed upon payback schedule by December 31, 2020."

Based on this I would think that no, you will not be able to simply repay the CERB on your income tax return. It would appear that you need to make arrangements for the pay back with the CRA.
Apr 3, 2015
94 posts
16 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Might be a stupid question but do you accumulate RRSP room while collecting CERB?
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3578 posts
696 upvotes
Ottawa sent 221,320 Canadians double payments of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), figures tabled in the House of Commons on Monday show.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) said more than $442 million was paid out in double payments.

Canadians are able to apply for the CERB through either the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or Service Canada under ESDC, which jointly administer the program.

However, as Canadians scrambled to apply for income support in late March, there was no mechanism preventing anxious and confused Canadians from submitting separate applications to each organization.
ESDC said in situations where clients mistakenly applied for the benefit through both streams, it could result in a double payment. It would total $4,000 for one month.

Canadians who applied for employment insurance through Service Canada and then had their applications automatically moved to the CERB had formed a large share of those who had received double payments.

After realizing the twice payments, a validation check was added to applications for the second round of CERB payments that opened on April 13.

The CRA and Service Canada are now trying to ensure those who received double payments won’t get more than the maximum allowable benefit of $12,000 over a 24-week period in the end.

Meanwhile, those who won’t have over-payments reconciled that way will be contacted by letter with details on how to repay the amount owed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6318 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
Engi-Nir wrote: Ottawa sent 221,320 Canadians double payments of the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB), figures tabled in the House of Commons on Monday show.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) said more than $442 million was paid out in double payments.

Canadians are able to apply for the CERB through either the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) or Service Canada under ESDC, which jointly administer the program.

However, as Canadians scrambled to apply for income support in late March, there was no mechanism preventing anxious and confused Canadians from submitting separate applications to each organization.
ESDC said in situations where clients mistakenly applied for the benefit through both streams, it could result in a double payment. It would total $4,000 for one month.

Canadians who applied for employment insurance through Service Canada and then had their applications automatically moved to the CERB had formed a large share of those who had received double payments.

After realizing the twice payments, a validation check was added to applications for the second round of CERB payments that opened on April 13.

The CRA and Service Canada are now trying to ensure those who received double payments won’t get more than the maximum allowable benefit of $12,000 over a 24-week period in the end.

Meanwhile, those who won’t have over-payments reconciled that way will be contacted by letter with details on how to repay the amount owed.
Those who applied via Service Canada already been clawed back last month. Right?
Mar 28, 2011
741 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
Hope someone went through this or knows about it

Someone is on CERB pay period #5 now out of maximum 6.
They then just got laid off and got paid out remaining vacation pay which amounts over $1000

They will repay CERB pay period #5 today

In August, they will apply for CERB again, is that pay period counted as #5 again or #6?

I’m hoping it counts as #5 since they just repaid the July period due to getting an unexpected vacation payment that put them over $1000 income.

Then I’m hoping they can apply for the Sept pay period as #6

Thanks!
Aug 24, 2014
27 posts
2 upvotes
NB
I lost my job due to COVID and the earliest I will get called back is September (school system.). I applied for the initial 4 eligibility periods through the CRA (I am not eligible for EI due to lack of hours but met the $5k in 2019 threshold.). Am I still eligible for CERB through the 8 week extension? Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6318 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
AngelaU669 wrote: I lost my job due to COVID and the earliest I will get called back is September (school system.). I applied for the initial 4 eligibility periods through the CRA (I am not eligible for EI due to lack of hours but met the $5k in 2019 threshold.). Am I still eligible for CERB through the 8 week extension? Thank you.
Yes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)