• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2020 1:17 am
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2193 posts
475 upvotes
Burlington
BoredAtWork wrote: Hope someone went through this or knows about it

Someone is on CERB pay period #5 now out of maximum 6.
They then just got laid off and got paid out remaining vacation pay which amounts over $1000

They will repay CERB pay period #5 today

In August, they will apply for CERB again, is that pay period counted as #5 again or #6?

I’m hoping it counts as #5 since they just repaid the July period due to getting an unexpected vacation payment that put them over $1000 income.

Then I’m hoping they can apply for the Sept pay period as #6

Thanks!
August should count as 5, call them later if you have any issues applying for #6.
Aug 7, 2013
620 posts
137 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Is the $1,000 income threshold paid on when the pay is actually received and deposited into the workers bank account or when the hours were worked?

Often times the pay is received after the hours were worked. Wondering which one is the correct way to determine whether I would qualify for Cerb.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
6318 posts
1353 upvotes
Toronto
badmus wrote: August should count as 5, call them later if you have any issues applying for #6.
He is not qualify for period #5, so August will be period #6,
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2193 posts
475 upvotes
Burlington
cgtlky wrote: He is not qualify for period #5, so August will be period #6,
I am assuming that it is any 6 periods till October as opposed to consecutive periods so if he didn’t qualify for one now he can make it up later.
Mar 28, 2011
741 posts
511 upvotes
Toronto
badmus wrote: August should count as 5, call them later if you have any issues applying for #6.
cgtlky wrote:
He is not qualify for period #5, so August will be period #6,
badmus wrote: I am assuming that it is any 6 periods till October as opposed to consecutive periods so if he didn’t qualify for one now he can make it up later.
Thanks guys, just want to ensure they can max out the maximum 6 periods out of the 7 available since they really need the money and being laid off sucks, especially when it’s now harder to get a blue collar job that pays $2x.xx

I don’t know what’s gonna happen but July #5 (on it since the beginning) was repaid by the individual so they will apply for Aug and hope Sept is eligible as #6

The way I see it, it’s like they skipped the July period (by repaying it) cause they made over $1000 (but as said this was unknown at the time of application of a vacation paid out) and only had 4 pay periods to date. Then they should be able to apply for Aug and Sept for the last 2 pay periods for the maximum of $12k

I can update this again in Sept on outcome if I remember to come back to this thread (not sure if it will help anyone else in the same situation)
Feb 27, 2010
304 posts
180 upvotes
I wonder how the new cerb is gonna be in September when they switch over the people applying it to EI...
Sep 10, 2017
170 posts
161 upvotes
JagStyles wrote: Is the $1,000 income threshold paid on when the pay is actually received and deposited into the workers bank account or when the hours were worked?

Often times the pay is received after the hours were worked. Wondering which one is the correct way to determine whether I would qualify for Cerb.

Thanks
The $1000 is based on when the income is EARNED not when the income is paid, so its based on the hours worked during that 4 week period.
It does mention earned on the eligibility criteria and I've confirmed this by talking to CRA.

See:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... apply.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... tions.html
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5370 posts
1254 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
juve4lfe wrote: I wonder how the new cerb is gonna be in September when they switch over the people applying it to EI...
They already estimate that about 4 Million people are going to automatically be reverted to standard EI, and are working on an "EI-like" program for the rest of the 4.X million people collecting CERB.
Under standard EI some people actually receive more money, so it is good for them.

EI eligibility is based on income and the hours worked in the previous 52 weeks at the start of the claim. Hours required are based on the unemployment rate in the region:
Regional rate of unemployment | Required number of hours of employment in the last 52 weeks
6% or less 700 hours
6.1% to 7% 665 hours
7.1% to 8% 630 hours
8.1% to 9% 595 hours
9.1% to 10% 560 hours
10.1% to 11% 525 hours
11.1% to 12% 490 hours
12.1% to 13% 455 hours
13.1% or more 420 hours
The nice thing about this is that unemployment rates are likely higher now, making it easier to have enough hours.

For the remainder who weren't eligible for EI before, that's a good question. Some of us were self employed, or didn't have enough hours to qualify.
Consultant, Operator, Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Finance, IT, Web & Graphic Design
  • In the Alberta Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2008
2193 posts
475 upvotes
Burlington
There will be a parallel EI like system for those who can’t get on EI that will pay similar benefits to what EI would have paid is what the Minister in charge said.

A lot of people are going to get less than $2k every 4 weeks on EI but they can work more and still get EI so most will be better on EI compared to CERB.

EI requirements will be watered down to get as many people into it as possible quoting the Minister during an interview on CBC.
Feb 7, 2019
164 posts
93 upvotes
I am trying to repay cerb because i am no longer qualify for the last 2 weeks but i am having some trouble.

I log on to my CRA account and select the "proceed to pay" option. I followed their instructions and indicated I want to repay by interact, entered the amount and the name of the bank, but then it redirected me my bank and a message popped up saying "you do not have any eligible Access Card." I do have an access card so not sure why it didn't work. So I will try another way.

If I log onto my TD account to add a payee, do I select "CRA personal income tax - 2020 tax installment voucher"? There are a few options there but I'm not too sure which one to choose .

If anyone has successfully repaid their CERB online via TD Bank, please let me know if the above is correct. Thank you!

PS - I don't want to send a cheque by mail.
Jan 5, 2017
29 posts
4 upvotes
I am getting ready to go back to the work and off CERB. They clawed 2 payment of $500 back last month for that $2000 advance in the beginning of Cerb.
When I called about the clawback last month ( never got the email) , CRA told me they will claw back another 2x $500 for payments in August.
Since I am getting off Cerb, and there is nothing to take back, are they going to ask for it ? Do I have to pay it out of my next pay cheque?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5370 posts
1254 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
V2Gcap wrote: I am getting ready to go back to the work and off CERB. They clawed 2 payment of $500 back last month for that $2000 advance in the beginning of Cerb.
When I called about the clawback last month ( never got the email) , CRA told me they will claw back another 2x $500 for payments in August.
Since I am getting off Cerb, and there is nothing to take back, are they going to ask for it ? Do I have to pay it out of my next pay cheque?
I've seen court, CRA, or Service Canada garnishment orders, just not for CERB. They usually will first notify your employer, and to do that, they'll have to know who that is first. And even then, usually it's for larger sums of money that they've had trouble collecting for some time. Remember it costs them money to collect money, and they will want to maximize their returns here given the investment (effort).

CRA is pretty backed up right now, so chances are they're going to be slow.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5370 posts
1254 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
badmus wrote: There will be a parallel EI like system for those who can’t get on EI that will pay similar benefits to what EI would have paid is what the Minister in charge said.

A lot of people are going to get less than $2k every 4 weeks on EI but they can work more and still get EI so most will be better on EI compared to CERB.

EI requirements will be watered down to get as many people into it as possible quoting the Minister during an interview on CBC.
They reckon they'll have an announcement by end of August. This is an interesting time as the Liberals are only a minority govt. so to stay in power they have to have another party agree with their major decisions.

Last round, the cerb extension was to please the NDP to get their support.

This one sounds more like to satisfy the other parties and the businesses' cries of struggling to hire employees for $2000/month or under.

The problem with the old EI system was that it was horribly inefficient and extremely costly to maintain and enforce compliance. It rarely made sense for the self employed or gig workers to voluntarily subscribe, and it was difficult for them to do so.

Also, it gave people issues who were going to school, sometimes even penalizing them - though one can technically be seeking work, be laid off from prior taxpaying and EI-contributing employment, and going to school concurrently (my case).

The Conservative's suggestion to modify cerb to include an EI-like partial clawback was deemed to be actually even more expensive than just extending cerb, as those making over $2000 would have to be funded as well. Nevertheless it looks like whatever they have in mind is going to have to give people incentive to work.

I can see them making a glorified EI system with looser qualification requirements (e.g. less hours to qualify) while maintaining the same requirements and random checks to be actively seeking suitable employment. The old EI was quite lenient on what suitable employment was - you didn't have to take alternate employment that paid much less than your former. However I can see them stiffening this requirement, especially with wages going down.

For those who just get shifted back to EI, it has been based on 55% of earnings, for up to $573/week. So for a lot of people they'd get more from EI, while those who made under $3636/mo. before are going to take a hit, without going back to work that is.
Mar 11, 2018
396 posts
189 upvotes
How is this new EI supposed to transition when it gets implemented? Does it suddenly change for those still in the midst of receiving CERB or is it supposed to transition over to the new EI only when their 24 weeks of CERB payment gets exhausted?