Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
4143 posts
3014 upvotes
Toronto

Canada Federal Court Restrains Sale of ‘Pirate’ Boxes

https://torrentfreak.com/canada-federal ... es-160610/

Was only a matter of time.

I can see sales of the boxes being blocked, but the content (which is mostly overseas) for those who already own them, not so much.

Not to mention Kodi can run on just about anything.
77 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
"the defendants advertised their products as a way to avoid paying cable bills."

In other words, they were stupid. Openly inviting prosecution by advertising a clearly illegal service. Nobody should have any sympathy for them.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1924 posts
1783 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: "the defendants advertised their products as a way to avoid paying cable bills."

In other words, they were stupid. Openly inviting prosecution by advertising a clearly illegal service. Nobody should have any sympathy for them.
it wasn't illegal though. so milk it as long as you can. now it is. still be tough to clamp down on
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
Its clearly illegal what those boxes are doing ..don't see any issue with it

No different than ninja video, popcorn time etc..

Whether it'll actually make a difference is another matter

But of course the companies need to go after them like they do after torrents
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19597 posts
3601 upvotes
Toronto
I don't like the cable companies, but they do have a point here. There's no compensation mechanism for the programming you receive through these boxes. If you use an OTA antenna to not pay for cable they're at least receiving ad revenue because the commercials still reach you, but these piracy boxes are cheating everyone except the pirates out of money. The actual creators get no money from anyone.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9125 posts
2751 upvotes
London
This reminds me of the all the satellite lawsuits. Every time the paper reported on it, I would get tons of people asking me about it, and where to get it, lol.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13118 posts
2366 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Hard to have sympathy when the same cable/tv companies are the ones who are constantly jacking up internet prices.

To quote my cousin Vinny: "You're gettin' f..... one way or the other."
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9019 posts
10320 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
In areas where they have competition they try to shut it down like this or if in mobiles cases try to buy out every last bit of competition like MTS so they can go back to gouging. Why is it that the area with the least competition - mobile - sees the highest price increases.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
19872 posts
5941 upvotes
Sorry, didn't see the threads. Yeah, stupid to advertise loaded boxes. I doubt the judge will be able to stop anyone from selling boxes by themselves though as they have legit uses as media players and streamers. But maybe this will put a lid on these places selling them with loaded Kodi installs. I just had a bud of mine buy one for $250. I told him the box was worth maybe $50 and to never do that again. If he needs info, he can ask me next time before he makes a purchase...
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
24800 posts
1913 upvotes
Markham, ON
i received a nicely printed sales flyer in my mailbox yesterday...siding, windows, central vacuum, landscaping....and on the back page...one of these preload boxes....lutz
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4117 upvotes
Ottawa
Just like sats and torrents it's all fun and games until the greedy tech litterate pigs try to get them into the hands of the masses..then this happens.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2680 upvotes
Vancouver
karnige wrote: it wasn't illegal though. so milk it as long as you can. now it is. still be tough to clamp down on
Violating copyright law is illegal. Selling or promoting goods or services specifically intended to violate the law is illegal. Advising others to violate the law is illegal.

Selling a multi-use product without promoting an illegal purpose for it is not illegal.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1924 posts
1783 upvotes
I think if they promoted as streaming it was legal. I saw something on CBC about it a few months ago. could be wrong though. at any rate its definitely illegal now
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
918 upvotes
Windsor
Selling "pirate" boxes is now restrained, selling a box that can be used to pirate is still not illegal. This clamps down on the idiots, which is good; this really was getting out of control.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Don't worry, this is only an injunction order more like the big cable companies trying to bully and scare a few tiny local businesses.
They can never stop the sale of these set top boxes even if they wanted to ...these cable companies know the writing is on the wall ...evolve or die you can't stop progress !
The only thing this injunction order entails is for the 5 merchants to stop selling "pre-loaded" boxes, the vanilla or ROBELLUS approved boxes can still be sold or else they might as well ban all PCs, tablets and smartphones !

There is still another 100,000 merchants selling them so go add them on your ******** injunction order as well ...LoL
The merchants will simply sell vanilla or ROBELLUS approved boxes and then tell their clients to upload the programming through an online server "if they ask" and they will not be breaking any laws, it's simply "customer service" if they ask and the merchant complies or the freelance jobbers doing programming at your homes !
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: I don't like the cable companies, but they do have a point here. There's no compensation mechanism for the programming you receive through these boxes. If you use an OTA antenna to not pay for cable they're at least receiving ad revenue because the commercials still reach you, but these piracy boxes are cheating everyone except the pirates out of money. The actual creators get no money from anyone.
LoL ...they'll have to prove if it is their licensed content that is being pirated and if it is Canadian produced content that is being hurt !
The networks sued the cable companies for broadcasting their content several years ago and lost and now these same cable companies are trying to ban devices that can get content before they even offer it ...ridiculous !
If they want to stop this, they should grow some balls and go after the sources in other countries that is beyond their jurisdiction instead of bullying and scaring a few small local businesses !
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1329 upvotes
rabbit wrote: Hard to have sympathy when the same cable/tv companies are the ones who are constantly jacking up internet prices.

Here is a new new one :
"No one dies a virgin, the government f**ks us all !"
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
rabbit wrote: Hard to have sympathy when the same cable/tv companies are the ones who are constantly jacking up internet prices.

well for starters, my cable bill is about $100+ because of the thoses history channel, discovery channel, sports channels all add up! thinking of cutting cable.. and just goto bars and watch my games there.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."