Investing

Canada goose blows out earnings and stock tanks 15%+ !?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 11:47 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5053 posts
1641 upvotes

Canada goose blows out earnings and stock tanks 15%+ !?

can someone explain this to me please?
Everything was positive.... as positive as could ever be in their outlook and report.

This is bizzarre....
35 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2008
6053 posts
2305 upvotes
Toronto
Summer is coming. :lol:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2016
2028 posts
1010 upvotes
Houston, TX
SomeOtherDude wrote: can someone explain this to me please?
Everything was positive.... as positive as could ever be in their outlook and report.

This is bizzarre....
Red is new black (c)
Because it's 2018! This is new reality - those going deep in debt or having no profit go higher, those making it and even more goes down...

And yes, summer is coming :)
Make the face great again
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1486 posts
837 upvotes
Edmonton
I believe stock has been running, those earnings were priced in. Most stocks work this way, nothing really shocking
Jun 2, 2012
146 posts
160 upvotes
Maple Ridge
SomeOtherDude wrote: can someone explain this to me please?
Everything was positive.... as positive as could ever be in their outlook and report. This is bizzarre....
I may be wrong, but I think the reason is that they provided no guidance regarding future sales expectations. Recent numbers look good, but what do they forecast in the year ahead?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5053 posts
1641 upvotes
loopy1984 wrote: I believe stock has been running, those earnings were priced in. Most stocks work this way, nothing really shocking
Then could you give me more common examples of a stock tanking 15% after it exceeded expectations by double digits?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2006
2278 posts
123 upvotes
The market works in weird ways. Take a look at Twitter's first earnings beat ever.

If you believe in GOOS, then just stick with the company/stock. You wouldn't be wise to rely on one earnings report to base a decision on a long term investment.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2016
1486 posts
837 upvotes
Edmonton
Dow is down 500 points and your asking why Canada goose is down.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14014 posts
9094 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
It's a bloody mess on the market!!!!!!! That's why!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17247 posts
10015 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Izzoshady wrote: The market works in weird ways. Take a look at Twitter's first earnings beat ever.

If you believe in GOOS, then just stick with the company/stock. You wouldn't be wise to rely on one earnings report to base a decision on a long term investment.
loopy1984 wrote: Dow is down 500 points and your asking why Canada goose is down.
Cheapo-Findo wrote: It's a bloody mess on the market!!!!!!! That's why!!!
Exactly!

It's an issue of limited funds... Many investors are caught needing funds due to margin calls and general cash flow issues at this point due to the level of declines we have been seeing throughout the market place. GOOS was one of the few stocks that haven't been touched (in fact has gone UP) during the last few days. As such, it became a source of funds to cover margins AND to buy beaten down stocks so the GOOS was sold. I suspect that GOOS will rebound once the market gets it head screwed back on.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2008
5053 posts
1641 upvotes
loopy1984 wrote: Dow is down 500 points and your asking why Canada goose is down.
I ask because 15%+ drop is abnormal, even on a down day.
Not many stocks will drop that much in a single given day unless there's bad news (and in fact, there was extremely positive news)
Sure, the Dow is down 500, i.e. less than 2%, so what?
Dec 21, 2010
238 posts
154 upvotes
SomeOtherDude wrote: I ask because 15%+ drop is abnormal, even on a down day.
Not many stocks will drop that much in a single given day unless there's bad news (and in fact, there was extremely positive news)
Sure, the Dow is down 500, i.e. less than 2%, so what?
Back in year 2000 all big tech stocks, (like QCOM, MSFT, CSCO) went up and down 30% in one day (remember QCOM went up from 560 to 730 in a matter of an afternoon) then came crashing real hard. 15% is normal in volatile days.
Nov 25, 2009
528 posts
310 upvotes
Vancouver
Thinking if I should go in ..?
Dec 21, 2010
238 posts
154 upvotes
I think the market maker will make it like a real crash. That means 20% from all time high. Dow will be like 21300. I would try to go in at about 22000.
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
24258 posts
5938 upvotes
where I belong
Every ER season I ask myself why the market does NOT make sense, but I give up. It always moves OPPOSITE of your expectation or holdings and many traders (I'm not) simply do NOT play ER's

Good ER can mean RED days for DAYS (LRCX $218 -> $160 today, etc...) , or pop like forever (NFLX, AMZN), or pop and fade (AMD pop to $13 and now $11.x, FB to $190+ and now $170's)

I thought about shorting GOOS at $38 USD, wished I did
but I bought long today at $33 (too early still)

Just be glad it's not iRobot IRBT -33% today or Expedia (-25% after-hours)
but it sucks to miss out SNAP +40% or TWTR (it went to $35 and then faded to $30's)
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11301 posts
9797 upvotes
ksgill wrote: Summer is coming. :lol:
LOL but does Canada Goose not have summer gear? If so..there's the next big growth for them. Track pants, shorts, etc.
Feb 17, 2012
648 posts
127 upvotes
Toronto
Happens every ER. Everyone cashing in profits and will rebuy at a lower price point.

Look at AMD. 3 earnings in a row. MU, NTNX, all game changing companies and they tank on ER's
Jun 2, 2012
146 posts
160 upvotes
Maple Ridge
"On Wed. the stock price collapsed; however, prior to the selloff, at the beginning of the month, several management executives were sellers in the market.
Chief Financial Officer John Black exercised his options and sold the corresponding number of shares (30,000) at an average price per shares of $43.8397, eliminating his portfolio's position.
Kara MacKillop, Senior Vice-President- Human Resources, exercised her options and sold the corresponding number of shares (40,000) at an average price per share of $43.838, leaving 15,000 shares in her account.
Ana Mihaljevic, Senior Vice-President- Planning and Sales Operations, exercised her options and sold the corresponding number of shares (14,444) at an average price per share of $43.9553, eliminating her portfolio's position.
Pat Jacob, Vice-President – Information Technology, exercised his options and sold the corresponding number of shares (43,000), eliminating his account's holdings."
(Source: Globeinvestor)
Sep 18, 2017
84 posts
86 upvotes
I hate Canada Goose jackets. Idiots spending $1000 on a jacket and a new iPhone X in the pocket while making minimum payments on their credit cards and never even opening a TFSA. But time to look online at leasing a new BMW and booking a trip to the Caribbean using their line of credit.