Home & Garden

Canada Greener Homes Grant Home Efficiency Rebate Plus - Launching Jan 2023 - up to $10K in rebates for ON homeowners

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2024 12:12 am
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
26001 posts
211229 upvotes
GTA

Canada Greener Homes Grant Home Efficiency Rebate Plus - Launching Jan 2023 - up to $10K in rebates for ON homeowners

There's a new (updated) home efficiency rebate program being launched in January 2023, called Home Efficiency Rebate Plus (HER+). All Ontario homeowners are eligible to apply for the program, which involves having a home energy assessment done and making performing energy saving upgrades, for which rebates are provided. Enbridge customers are eligible for some enhanced amounts. Full details will be released in January, but the known amounts are as follows:

Home energy assessments

Up to $600
A required first step to determine which upgrades are right for your home.

Home insulation

Up to $10,000
Improve comfort, reduce energy costs and prevent moisture damage with attic, foundation, wall and exposed floor insulation.

Air sealing

Up to $1,300
Eliminate drafts, improve air quality and save energy with draft proofing.

Windows and doors
Up to $325 for each
High-performance windows prevent condensation and eliminate drafts.

Space and water heating
Up to $6,500
ENERGY STAR® certified hot water heat pumps use up to 70 percent less energy. Ground source, air source and domestic hot water heat pumps qualify.

Smart thermostats

Up to $50
Boost comfort and reduce costs by saving energy automatically.

Solar

Up to $5,000
Generate your own power and reduce dependence on the grid. Solar panels and batteries qualify.

Weatherproofing

Up to $1,650
Protect your home from climate change events, such as fires and floods.

Important to note that if you are in the current program (Home Efficiency Rebate), you can be eligible for the enhanced amounts, as long as you have not completed your post-retrofit assessment.

https://www.enbridgegas.com/residential ... ebate-plus
Thread Summary
Enbridge Gas will be closing intake to new applicants of the Home Energy Rebate Plus program (HER+) on February 5, 2024. Ontario homeowners participating in the HER+ program who have completed a pre-retrofit energy assessment on or before February 5 may proceed with their retrofits and will continue to be eligible for funding.
Ontario homeowners who applied prior to January 4, 2023 to the Canada Greener Homes Grant and have an active application can continue their journey through the Canada Greener Homes portal.
The Canada Greener Homes Loan remains open. Thank you for your interest.

Source: https://natural-resources.canada.ca/ene ... rant/23441
===
Given the high demand for the program and the number of households that have participated, we have successfully filled all available spots earlier than expected with regard to the joint funding between Enbridge Gas and the Canada Greener Homes Grant. Effective end of day Monday, Feb. 5, 2024, we will not accept any new applicants or complete any pre-retrofit energy assessments. Any pre-retrofit energy assessments completed after Monday, Feb. 5, 2024 will not be accepted into the program. Please note that the Canada Greener Homes Loan remains open and requires a pre retrofit evaluation in order to apply.

Source: https://www.enbridgegas.com/residential ... ebate-plus
===

Note there have been minor adjustments to the figures in the OP above. In particular, Enbridge has clarified that you can get both a $6500 rebate for some types of ground-source/air-source heat pumps and $1300 for a heat pump water heater, for a max total of $7800 for the "Space and water heating" category.

===

FAQs:
- How long will the program run? — The CGHG was scheduled to run through 2027, but was budgeted for 700,000 homes across Canada. Per NRCan's September 2023 update, about 381,000 households had applied and about 93,600 had received grants to that point. In November 2023, reports began to emerge that advisors had been told by NRCan that the program would likely close to new applicants in March 2024. Nothing has been publicly announced to date by NRCan itself, beyond a statement from the federal natural resources minster that funds are being exhausted more quickly than expected, while also claiming that the program might be extended.

- I have already applied (by having a pre-audit). Is there a deadline to finish? — Under HER+ you have until the program’s scheduled end date in 2027 to finish work and the post-audit, regardless of when you applied (the loan is handled differently as discussed below). The potential closure to new applicants does not seem to affect this. The terms technically state this is subject to funds availability but the (possible) closure to new applicants seems intended to ensure that doesn't happen. That said, it is possible that a change in the federal government before 2027 could result in the program shutting down entirely on short notice.

- Once I've done the post-retrofit audit, how do I check my rebate status? — Once everything's been submitted and worked its way through the NRCan/Enbridge systems (which may take a few weeks), you can call the Enbridge Energy Conservation Line at 1-844-777-3149 (listed on the Enbridge Gas website under Contact Us - Energy Conservation, thx @Neovingian for finding this). If it's been over a month and they say they don't have everything yet, follow up with your auditor. Unfortunately there's currently no HER+ web portal for individual applicants to check (outside Ontario, you can check grant status through the same NRCan portal you use to apply).

- Is this program only available in Ontario? — The Greener Homes Grant (up to $5000) is available across Canada and has been since 2021. What's new for 2023 is that Enbridge has taken over management of the program in Ontario and harmonized it with its own Home Efficiency Rebate program for a maximum combined rebate of $10,000 (plus $600 for home energy audit reimbursements), with slightly widened eligibility, and in general most of the rebates on individual items have been topped up by about 30% (e.g. maximum heat pump rebate is $6500 under HER+ vs. $5000 under the CGHG). Different types of coordinated arrangements are in place in Quebec and Nova Scotia.

- How do I apply? — Under Enbridge HER+, you deal directly with one of the NRCan-registered auditing organizations, which performs pre-reno and post-reno assessments (paid upfront and partially reimbursed at the end). The auditor gives you the forms to sign (possibly during your assessments), then they are responsible for filing the necessary paperwork.

- Do I need to be an Enbridge Gas customer? — Yes and no. You must be an Enbridge customer for the enhanced rebate of up to $10,000 (even if you're getting renos that will allow you to disconnect from natural gas — just wait until you get the rebate to do so). This applies even if it’s a home you own but are renting out. If you're not an Enbridge customer, you can still get rebates up to the CGHG limits (max total $5000) but this requires the home is your main residence.

- What if I already applied for CGHG and/or the old HER? — If you have not yet had your post-reno assessment, you can switch to HER+ if it's more advantageous, or stick with the existing programs. If you have already gone through a post-reno assessment on CGHG, HER, or HER+, it seems to be possible to apply again, but in general you can't get a second reimbursement on audits, and the total rebate on renos across all versions of the programs will still be capped at $10,000. (Note: The previous HER program ended for existing applicants on April 30, 2023)

- Are there rebates for more efficient furnaces? Tankless water heaters? — No (with one caveat). Although these were part of the previous (2019-2022) HER program, they are not part of HER+ due to the harmonization with the Greener Home Grant criteria which encourage shifting away from natural gas / oil use. However if you get a new hybrid heat pump / furnace system, you can generally request a loan (see below) covering the entire cost of the package, in addition to the up-to-$6500 rebate on the heat pump itself. You can review the eligible retrofits on this page (amounts listed are for the CGHG rebates outside Ontario but eligible retrofits are otherwise the same).

- If there is no rebate for furnaces, why is there discussion here about matching a heat pump with the right furnace? — To be eligible for the rebate, it has to be part of a heat pump system listed on NRCan's eligible product list which would include an indoor unit such as a furnace or air handler. Most manufacturers only list systems consisting of their own available heat pumps and furnaces. However some manufacturers explicitly list their HPs as being compatible with multiple furnaces; these can be found by searching "Coils only" for the furnace model in the list linked above.

- If I spend less than the available rebate on a particular item (e.g. insulation or air sealing), do I still get the full rebate? — Per the program terms: "The total rebate amount cannot exceed the total cost of the evaluations and the retrofits completed by the customers. The rebate amount will be adjusted if this is the case." So, if the only retrofit you did was DIY air sealing using $50 of new materials, you would only get that $50 back (besides your audit costs). However, results to date suggest that if you spend more than the rebate on other items (e.g. a heat pump), the sum of the eligible rebate amounts will be applied to the total incurred expenses.

- When do I get my rebate? — Per the Enbridge HER+ FAQs as of July 2023, allow 24-30 weeks following your post-reno assessment (and your auditor submitting the required documents) to receive your rebate cheque by mail at the address on file with your auditor. However, it can come sooner depending on the complexity of your claim. (Again, your auditor is responsible for handling all the rebate paperwork, so there is nothing else you need to – or can – do to submit it.)

- What's this about a loan? — In addition to the grants, there is an optional Canada Greener Homes Loan which is an interest-free (0.0%), 10-year loan for up to $40,000 in costs (note that the loan amount is not reduced by the rebate, so depending on your approval limit you may get part of your costs covered "twice"). If you're in Ontario, you apply for the loan through a separate portal – https://www.cghli.ca/ – after you receive your pre-reno assessment using your assessment file number; even then there can be up to a 30 day wait for the assessment to be reflected in the system. To apply for the loan you need to provide least one quote/estimate for each retrofit you plan to do before starting reno work. Up to 15% of the total can be advanced for contractor deposits. Both the loan advance and final funding are sent as wire transfers (you cannot use Tangerine to receive funds, and your bank may apply an incoming wire fee for each transfer).

- If I apply for the loan, do I have to use the quotes / contractors I submit in my application? — No, the loan hotline staff has confirmed that once you're approved for the loan, you can use any vendor you wish (or DIY where allowed), subject to the other grant criteria. However, bear in mind that if the final amount paid for a particular retrofit is higher than what you entered, the loan advance will not be increased. If the final amount is less than what was entered, it may be reduced.

- I just replaced my AC two years ago, should I replace that with a heat pump? — This program is intended to help encourage those with outdated / past-lifespan equipment to choose greener options when it comes time to replace (or to replace slightly sooner). If you have newer, working equipment, using the rebate means sacrificing the remaining useful life of equipment you’ve already paid for.

- How much will a heat pump water heater / insulation / windows / [other retrofit] cost? — It's very likely the question has already been discussed (though the answer may vary slightly with location and time). Use the "Search this thread" button at the top of the page to search for keywords. For hybrid / heat pump water heaters, you may want to search for "Rheem" or "Proterra" as that is the type most easily available in Canada (and most discussed in this thread), though other manufacturers like AO Smith sell them in Canada as well.

The order of the steps is (usually) very important:
  1. Get a pre-reno assessment from an approved auditor (see list under last question on this page) before starting any work – grants cannot be applied retroactively to work done prior to the assessment
  2. Get quotes from vendors
  3. Optional: Apply for the loan again before starting any work (loan application requires at least one quote for each item you want to do, 3 quotes per item is recommended). Once you've submitted your application, you can call the CGHL hotline for a disclaimer letter allowing you to proceed while waiting on approval, if you accept the risk of the loan not being approved or fully approved.
  4. Complete retrofit work – if you accept the loan, you have one year from the loan acceptance date to finish all work. Otherwise, HER+ does not have any timeframe requirements to complete retrofits, except for the end of the program, currently scheduled for 2027.
  5. Ensure that work is paid in full and get invoices/receipts showing this (paying in full is a program requirement despite the reimbursement / loan funding you will eventually get)
  6. Schedule and complete your post-reno assessment
  7. Allow up to 24-30 weeks after the final assessment for your grant (as of July 2023, was 16 weeks in the spring). The process for funding the loan (if applicable) happens in parallel following the assessment, and may be completed before you get the grant.
===

Link to Greener Homes Grant main info page:
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficien ... rant/23441

Link to HER+ list of list of eligible retrofits and grant amounts
https://www.enbridgegas.com/-/media/ext ... nglish.pdf

Link to NRCan list of eligible retrofits and grant amounts:
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-efficien ... ofit/23504

Link to wiki from /r/HEATPUMPS/ on reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/heatpumps/wiki/index/

Will a Heat Pump Save Money? (calculator):
https://siecje.github.io/heatpump-cost/

Heatpump Efficiency numbers:
https://ashp.neep.org/#!/product_list/

Ontario Energy/NG costs:
https://www.oeb.ca/consumer-information ... -gas-rates

Video explainer

Heat pump basic concepts and overview of things to consider:

Best practices for installation:

https://guides.co/g/heat-pump-best-prac ... 006/196833
9090 replies
Nov 3, 2020
203 posts
650 upvotes
While I have benefitted from this program it is not setup in the best way, I also lost out on rebate for all new windows and doors which they said would be retroactive, but hadn’t said yet that you would need a pre retrofit evaluation (so time machine was also a requirement). If I’ve already gone through the whole process and would need to do so all over again I imagine it would only be for new retrofits and wouldn’t retroactively apply any new rebate amounted. It’s quite a process, just have your ducks all in a row before you start anything.
Mar 31, 2008
124 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto
l got the $40 back per window when I upgraded last year. This new program says up to $325 per window.

Greener homes also offered rebates in the $200 last year but for that you had to purchase the most energy efficient window which happened to be 2-3x the cost of the ones I purchased.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3148 posts
7723 upvotes
Ontario
This is something I have to look into next year. I did my windows back in the spring. Replaced every single one. And got back about $4k.

Doors, insulation, and water heater are all on the future to do list. You know, when my mortgage stops eating all my money. 🤷‍♀️
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4622 posts
3266 upvotes
Ottawa
What does a energy consultant cost. I note the 600 rebate for it. But is it 2k?

In a new house with a Boiler and std furnace. Air source heat pump might be interesting for the radiant system.

Do you have to buy from the energy consultant etc? As I get significant discounts from trade pricing.
May 28, 2015
206 posts
158 upvotes
Milton, ON
shylok wrote: What does a energy consultant cost. I note the 600 rebate for it. But is it 2k?

In a new house with a Boiler and std furnace. Air source heat pump might be interesting for the radiant system.

Do you have to buy from the energy consultant etc? As I get significant discounts from trade pricing.

generally $500-$700 for the first audit and $200-300 for the second. Depends on house size.
Nov 12, 2022
14 posts
55 upvotes
Anyone has experience with heat pumps in below 30 temps? I am getting an energy assessment done next week.
Dec 13, 2005
445 posts
392 upvotes
I'm close to pulling the trigger on a 4 ton Fujitsu whole home ducted air source heat pump. It looks like they're a bit higher efficiency than Mitsubishi and 12 year parts and labour warranty.
Last edited by adavidso on Dec 29th, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 8, 2015
121 posts
156 upvotes
atashaikh wrote: Anyone has experience with heat pumps in below 30 temps? I am getting an energy assessment done next week.
Negative 30? Most of the best mini splits are rated to -25 and will need to use the backup heat source beyond that. Otherwise, they are fantastic and can be very efficient (I have Mitsubishi hyper heat).
May 15, 2015
478 posts
675 upvotes
ayylmao wrote:
generally $500-$700 for the first audit and $200-300 for the second. Depends on house size.
That’s bonkers. Was $140 for the pre+post when I did mine two years ago in NS.
Apr 12, 2015
95 posts
76 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Its a good program but patience is required. I got grant for windows & heat pump in Sept... these increase in new year substantially - my loss. Company I used was very helpful. They provided efficiency advise & maximized grants - highly recommended. There is also a interest free loan program too.
Apr 12, 2015
95 posts
76 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
I paid $475 then $275 with Nxt Lvl Consulting. $600 is rebated to cover assessment costs.
Last edited by Lowballer on Dec 29th, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 3, 2018
179 posts
90 upvotes
Skilas wrote: This is something I have to look into next year. I did my windows back in the spring. Replaced every single one. And got back about $4k.

Doors, insulation, and water heater are all on the future to do list. You know, when my mortgage stops eating all my money. 🤷‍♀️
Did you have to do the evaluation first?. Changed all my windows last yr and I wonder if I can go back and file
Dec 13, 2005
445 posts
392 upvotes
atashaikh wrote: Anyone has experience with heat pumps in below 30 temps? I am getting an energy assessment done next week.
The coldest day ever in Ottawa was -33 around 1990. -30 temps (not including wind chill) are very rare. Backup electric coil, and I might leave my gas fireplace on that night.
Nov 25, 2008
479 posts
939 upvotes
Lowballer wrote: Its a good program but patience is required. I got grant for windows & heat pump in Sept... these increase in new year substantially - my loss. Company I used was very helpful. They provided efficiency advise & maximized grants - highly recommended. There is also a interest free loan program too.
I'm sure prices have increased due to inflation, hence why rebates increased. You could have actually saved by getting it done in 2022.
Dec 10, 2006
997 posts
487 upvotes
Mississauga
I’m planning a renovation soon which involves a permit. Should I do the home assessment before reno or after? With the house layout changing, not sure if the assessment will be valid if it’s done before reno.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1837 posts
933 upvotes
Thinking about my aging roof shingles, would this apply?
Jan 29, 2022
37 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
"I paid $475 then $275 with Nxt Lvl Consulting. $600 is rebated to cover assessment costs.
Last edited by Lowballer on Dec 29th, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total."

Thanks for the recommendation. Is this who you used?

http://thenextlevelconsulting.ca/
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
2116 posts
6126 upvotes
DrummGunner wrote: Did you have to do the evaluation first?. Changed all my windows last yr and I wonder if I can go back and file
Was there a noticeable difference in efficiency after changing your windows?
Nov 3, 2020
203 posts
650 upvotes
DrummGunner wrote: Did you have to do the evaluation first?. Changed all my windows last yr and I wonder if I can go back and file
Do the evaluation first. And no, anything done pre-assessment won’t qualify.