Real Estate

Canada Hid A Foreign Capital & Housing Study While Dismissing Intelligence Warnings

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2021 7:41 pm
[OP]
Jan 23, 2009
759 posts
927 upvotes
Ontario

Canada Hid A Foreign Capital & Housing Study While Dismissing Intelligence Warnings

https://betterdwelling.com/canada-hid-a ... -warnings/#_

no wonder why housing is out of reach of many Canadian
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6152 posts
3333 upvotes
Thornhill
I'm sorry but why would an ex CRA auditor whistleblow to some obscure newspaper in China that most Canadains wouldn't even know existed?

It's not to say such a report doesn't exist but I am sceptical.
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2020
1005 posts
878 upvotes
licenced wrote: I'm sorry but why would an ex CRA auditor whistleblow to some obscure newspaper in China that most Canadains wouldn't even know existed?

It seems a legit report. The journalist works in Canada, I believe he is Australian either by birth or he's from there? Either way, he has a Cdn profile, the story did make some waves here (esp out West) this week with local news.

The Freedom of Info access request took 5 years as well! Report was done in the 90s! Gotta love the system.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
2738 posts
1661 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
1996, so they are talking about the HKer astronaut family technique. Most locals were aware of this, I mean we all had some friends or relatives doing it lol. Author is an Australian so it might be news to him. It's harder to pull off now.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3433 posts
3768 upvotes
Toronto
meanwhile trudeau wants to tax us more money

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
35 posts
24 upvotes
agit wrote: Canada Hid A Foreign Capital & Housing Study While Dismissing Intelligence Warnings

https://betterdwelling.com/canada-hid-a ... -warnings/#_

no wonder why housing is out of reach of many Canadian
We knew this back in the 1980s with the Honger invasion and in 1990s & 2000s with the China corrupt capital outflows.

Even developers were sending people over to china to tell them to buy in Canada.

In china, when you tell locals you are moving to canada, their is a stereotype that you are going there for a specific purpose.

Took the government 40 years to tell people this....when they knew it all along....lol
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17922 posts
10657 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
licenced wrote: I'm sorry but why would an ex CRA auditor whistleblow to some obscure newspaper in China that most Canadains wouldn't even know existed?

The SCMP isn't a small obscure newspaper in China. The author of the article has been reporting on Canadian real estate for years and often has good investigative pieces on Vancouver real estate that none of the other journalists in Vancouver discovered or even talked about. He is more plugged into the Vancouver real estate market as a journalist than many working for local outfits.