Careers

Canada lost 12,500 IT jobs in January. is IT still a good field to get into?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2017 4:19 pm
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Nov 23, 2016
127 posts
34 upvotes

Canada lost 12,500 IT jobs in January. is IT still a good field to get into?

So many RFDers are getting paid big money in IT and claim there is no shortage of IT jobs. yet, canada just lost 12,500 IT jobs in January. who is telling the truth?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada- ... -1.3976297

The types of job

While job gains were pretty broad-based overall last month, some of the sectors that were shut out of the festivities are concerning.

Take manufacturing, always a key because it tends to spill over into other areas. Employment in manufacturing declined by 7,500 jobs in January, and is down 2.2 per cent in the past year.

The Bank of Canada has singled out exports as being key to Canada's long-term recovery, so for such a key export sector to be still lagging is troubling.

ANALYSIS: Why men aren't adapting well

Another sector, IT, also lost 12,500 jobs during the month, which is further reason for concern. As Bank of Montreal economist Doug Porter put it, the industry breakdowns are "sounding a bit of a sour note on the proceedings."
28 replies
Jul 6, 2008
607 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to say into the future, but trump administration is aimed at overhauling the work-visa programs technology companies in USA. So you should see either an migration of US-based tech company into Canada or an oversupply of engineers in Canada.

Meanwhile China is hungry for technology, they have a lot of money, so you will see more Canada based Chinese firms opening here, where they take the talent and technology and bring it back to China.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16823 posts
9606 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The problem with statistics is that they often don't tell the whole story. In this case, what's considered an 'IT' job and is the problem regionalized or same types of losses across the country.

Example - do they consider an IT job as a position in an IT company? Or do they classify it according to job function? Or do they do both? Without looking deeper into the data, it's hard to draw the right conclusions.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35122 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
Canada doesn't pay nearly as much as the next door neighbor, so this is not surprising, we are a resource nation, we don't have the focus into tech right now
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
Lol..IT is in huge demand... But there's a difference between a developer or web analytics to someone working in tech support answering the phone to tell someone to restart

My friend in "IT" got laid off in Dec and had 4 offers to choose from already after a few weeks of job search

Take a guess which one is in demand and which isn't
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1967 posts
858 upvotes
HK
Agree with this.

I have to say though things, from my limited experience, in the US are a bit different. Even the highly-skilled IT jobs are often filled by Indians on H1B visas. We pay them peanuts (relatively), they are smart, work hard and will not complain. Trump wants to put an end to that there. Luckily for Canadians, thay won't happen. By keeping cost down, we can contjnue to offer low prices to feed the Hot Deals forum ;)
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3992 posts
942 upvotes
Markham
I don't even know what they define as an IT jobs. At least twice a month I still get recruiters cold contact me for positions, so I don't feel like there's a downturn. Maybe it's only the lower end / junior positions that are being reduced? It's hard to say if "IT job" includes customer support staff. That kind of job will get replaced with AI soon. Most companies will only keep really good problem solvers to supplement the AI. Who needs script readers anymore.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11862 posts
2291 upvotes
Toronto
Jonavin wrote: I don't even know what they define as an IT jobs. At least twice a month I still get recruiters cold contact me for positions, so I don't feel like there's a downturn. Maybe it's only the lower end / junior positions that are being reduced? It's hard to say if "IT job" includes customer support staff. That kind of job will get replaced with AI soon. Most companies will only keep really good problem solvers to supplement the AI. Who needs script readers anymore.
Seriously. A pox on them. Might as well re-start the milk delivery business. Today, if you don't provide real value-added work.. Poof.. you'd better adapt and evolve. That's the only way we as a whole blob of humanity can continue to progress, move forward, and realize the dream and our true, ultimate DESTINY.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3082 posts
325 upvotes
Mississauga
Wonder how much this is with the general trend of companies hiring IT people on contracts or consultants.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
35122 posts
4309 upvotes
Winnipeg
Jonavin wrote: I don't even know what they define as an IT jobs. At least twice a month I still get recruiters cold contact me for positions, so I don't feel like there's a downturn. Maybe it's only the lower end / junior positions that are being reduced? It's hard to say if "IT job" includes customer support staff. That kind of job will get replaced with AI soon. Most companies will only keep really good problem solvers to supplement the AI. Who needs script readers anymore.
it is, indeed, the lower end that's super saturated, once you know what you are doing then recruiters contact you nonstop.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5062 posts
2248 upvotes
at1212b wrote: Seriously. A pox on them. Might as well re-start the milk delivery business. Today, if you don't provide real value-added work.. Poof.. you'd better adapt and evolve. That's the only way we as a whole blob of humanity can continue to progress, move forward, and realize the dream and our true, ultimate DESTINY.
THE MOMENT OF TRUTH IS UPON US.

Humanity has come to SELF-ACTUALIZATION.

It's conclusion?

Humanity itself is the problem.

Self-Termination program initiated.

FOR THE BETTERMENT OF HUMANITY!
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2757 posts
1817 upvotes
Can anyone find the actual source data for this article? CANSIM on Stats website does not seem to have tables drilling all the way down to IT tech sector alone or I'm missing something.
Sep 27, 2003
10455 posts
2873 upvotes
Newmarket
I have many clients with head offices based in the US. Over the last 6 years, many of my Canadian IT contacts within my client base have been let go and my contacts are now in the US.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9526 posts
3147 upvotes
I wanna see the source of that data as well. That article is so vague.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10275 posts
2872 upvotes
I can tell you in my first hand experience, that if you were in any sort of IT training role, I would be worried. I have yet to work anywhere which took training of its staff serouisly. the would rather have a staff member take 1 hour to do a task, then spend 3 hours to train them to do the task in 15 minutes.
Feb 10, 2017
22 posts
I've been struggling to find a job in IT since I was let go from the HQ of a big near bankrupt retailer. It's definitely tough out there right now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9526 posts
3147 upvotes
Joezph wrote: I've been struggling to find a job in IT since I was let go from the HQ of a big near bankrupt retailer. It's definitely tough out there right now.
The job market, in general, is tough, connections, persistence and a bit of luck play a big part in landing a job.
Discomfort is your friend
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2757 posts
1817 upvotes
blexann wrote: I wanna see the source of that data as well. That article is so vague.
As I suspected, turns out CBC made a mistake it is not IT sector but "information, culture and recreation" sector of which IT is not part. Article was corrected.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16823 posts
9606 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
peli33 wrote: As I suspected, turns out CBC made a mistake it is not IT sector but "information, culture and recreation" sector of which IT is not part. Article was corrected.
You mean basically the opposite of IT as there's generally little to no recreation, little culture, and information can be wrong on the internet... :)