Health & Wellness

Canada mandatory face mask?

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 13th, 2020 3:24 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4225 posts
2737 upvotes

Canada mandatory face mask?

Germany already have mandatory face mask in public of be fined up to $5000. Canada should be doing the same? Just one more next to more than 2 people fines.
Yay, or Nay?
96 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
Masks don’t replace physical distancing advice though (ie wouldn’t necessarily allow people to line up closer to each other). Distance still needs to be maintained, whether mask is used or not.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4225 posts
2737 upvotes
Going to wallyword to buy stuff, the bank, public transport.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6640 posts
1381 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Going to wallyword to buy stuff, the bank, public transport.
What about going to those places?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
15847 posts
10515 upvotes
Toronto
Oh good, this thread again
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 19, 2002
5009 posts
4223 upvotes
Vancouver
Should be. There are plenty of face masks and face shields on the market.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1767 posts
810 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
Depends on how pretty your face is.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 29, 2018
1734 posts
1225 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, maybe then I can get my hands on some masks. Been too lazy up until now, to go hunt for em. Easier to laze at home and be like a walrus
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Newbie
May 20, 2019
38 posts
11 upvotes
It should be mandatory but don’t get me wrong, it’s not to protect the wearer but rather everyone else.

There’s likely so many infected people walking around who have no idea they are infected and are coughing and sneezing out in public. Once everyone is masked up the aerosolization of an infected person is dramatically reduced. Without a mask on that infected person you’d have to be at a distance much greater then 6 feet to be somewhat protected.

People seem to not understand that the 6 foot social distance rule is to protect from people who are asymptomatic and are just breathing. A cough or sneeze goes much further.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
1696 posts
898 upvotes
Canada
kramer1 wrote: Yes, maybe then I can get my hands on some masks. Been too lazy up until now, to go hunt for em. Easier to laze at home and be like a walrus
ACAMP (an Alberta technology company) developed its re-useable A95 masks that it claims to be similar to a regular N95:
https://www.actionbyacamp.ca/

Other companies are also selling regular, disposable face masks or KN95s:
https://supplies.odysseymedical.ca/
https://www.surgo.com/earloop-face-masks

Re-usable surgical mask: https://thesurgicalroom.ca/featured-products

If you prefer a non-medical mask option:
Vancouver Aquarium: https://vanaquashop.org/vancouver-aquar ... -facemask/
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2323 posts
659 upvotes
In Hiding
Yes, because people don't/can't/won't maintain social distancing in stores (6 feet is a big space) and in elevators, also public washrooms. Some are still coughing and sneezing into the air without covering their faces. Is anyone wearing safety glasses, may get a cheap pair in case there's a 2nd wave or they relax the rules and let folks fly in from all countries (these waves happen at different times in various countries so can affect us at any time even if our curve is flat).
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1316 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
Already wearing one when i go out.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1568 upvotes
Scarborough
Make it strongly advised but no fines.
People lost jobs and now you fine them, how they feed their family or they chose to pay fine?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2013
1316 posts
468 upvotes
Vancouver
apnayloags wrote: Make it strongly advised but no fines.
People lost jobs and now you fine them, how they feed their family or they chose to pay fine?
If you can't buy or find mask face coverings that cover your nose and mouth is acceptable. So even a homemade mask is fine and there are lot's of video on how to make one DIY already. Heck you can even use your scarf to cover your face and is good enough.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17335 posts
14736 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Yes. Social distancing is a sham because people simply do not follow it. Was at the pharmacy and people were within a foot of each other.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4225 posts
2737 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Yes. Social distancing is a sham because people simply do not follow it. Was at the pharmacy and people were within a foot of each other.
That is why having a mask would reduce getting infected or infecting others. Just look at hong kong or taiwan where social distancing is almost impossible.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
17335 posts
14736 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
cristianosham wrote: That is why having a mask would reduce getting infected or infecting others. Just look at hong kong or taiwan where social distancing is almost impossible.
I agree
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
JayLove06 wrote: Yes. Social distancing is a sham because people simply do not follow it. Was at the pharmacy and people were within a foot of each other.
+1 On top of that, it's virtually impossible in places like HK. Never even heard of this lame moniker before....cringe!

Masks are the key, same place only has a bit over 1K infections and 4 deaths. No other way to explain it. A joke that some politicians are only now being seen in public wearing them, why didn't they prepare earlier and why not set a better example before? Such a concerted effort to downplay its effectiveness.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6357 posts
5411 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote: +1 On top of that, it's virtually impossible in places like HK. Never even heard of this lame moniker before....cringe!

Masks are the key, same place only has a bit over 1K infections and 4 deaths. No other way to explain it. A joke that some politicians are only now being seen in public wearing them, why didn't they prepare earlier and why not set a better example before? Such a concerted effort to downplay its effectiveness.
Hong Kong has pretty strict social distancing. No large gatherings, no groups bigger than 4,
restaurants need empty tables beside each group of diners with min of 1.5m btwn tables, temp check


Violation of social distancing is punishable by 6mths in jail and 25k fine

Weddings upto 50ppl but no food or drinks

Here's Hkg legislation on social distancing

To minimise the risk of COVID-19 spreading in the community, we all need to work together on social distancing.

Members of the public are advised strongly to reduce social contact to protect themselves and others: stay at home as far as possible; stay away from crowded places; avoid social gatherings; do not shake hands when meeting other people; and avoid meal gatherings. Enterprises are also appealed to make flexible work arrangement for employees to tie in with the Government strategies to fight the disease.

The Government has been reviewing the feasibility of relevant measures and will make adjustments on a timely basis in view of the latest development of the disease. Putting in place the new requirements to reduce gatherings could help enhance social distancing. When making the regulations, the Government has taken into account the activities and premises / places with higher infection risks of COVID-19, as well as overseas practices.
https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202 ... 800720.htm

Hong Kong has legislation directed specifically for social distancing and call it as such...so don't see how you can say they haven't heard of it over there when they have legislation specifically for it and refer to it as social distancing
Deal Expert
User avatar
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4624 upvotes
Montréal
StatsGuy wrote: Hong Kong has pretty strict social distancing. No large gatherings, no groups bigger than 4,
restaurants need empty tables beside each group of diners with min of 1.5m btwn tables, temp check


Violation of social distancing is punishable by 6mths in jail and 25k fine

Weddings upto 50ppl but no food or drinks

Here's Hkg legislation on social distancing



https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/202 ... 800720.htm

Hong Kong has legislation directed specifically for social distancing and call it as such...so don't see how you can say they haven't heard of it over there when they have legislation specifically for it and refer to it as social distancing
It's all good on paper, but that's not reality, have you ever been/lived there?

Noted the law only started in late March, and considering HK is much closer to the epicentre, amazing again only a bit over 1K infected and 4 deaths. If you know anything about HK, it's virtually impossible to keep this silly 'social distancing' many times during the day.

Masks was and always is the key.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)