Health & Wellness

Canada needs to jump-start a stalled first-dose campaign to avoid a fourth wave, experts say

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 29th, 2021 12:13 am
Feb 26, 2021
88 posts
39 upvotes

Canada needs to jump-start a stalled first-dose campaign to avoid a fourth wave, experts say

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada ... -1.6106114

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6106141.1626465333!/ ... -rates.jpg

This article goes over age groups, rural groups and phobia groups, which are reluctant to get 1st dose which may result in a fourth wave.

But what about race and ethnic groups? US shows which groups have the highest and lowest.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/cov ... er-states/

Is there similar for Canada?

Doesn't seem to be in this website

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid ... -coverage/

Do we have the same trend as US, as Dr. Ato Sekyi-Otu states in this article?

https://www.saanichnews.com/news/black- ... -suggests/
56 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
3475 posts
3995 upvotes
GTA
It will become the pandemic of the unvaccinated who regret their decision as they are being wheeled into ICU. Canada will fare better as we like to travel internationally requiring vaccination. Most Americans never leave the USA.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
As a woman I'm so tired of being told what to do. I may disagree with people who refuse vaccination but I do not think it is appropriate to force other people to do things to their own body.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
angryaudifanatic wrote: As a woman I'm so tired of being told what to do. I may disagree with people who refuse vaccination but I do not think it is appropriate to force other people to do things to their own body.
Uh, what? 1st. what does your gender have to do with the price of tea in China? 2nd. Who is forcing anyone to get a shot? We live in Canada and last I checked you still have the option to get a shot or not.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
4735 posts
5331 upvotes
kr0zet wrote: Uh, what? 1st. what does your gender have to do with the price of tea in China? 2nd. Who is forcing anyone to get a shot? We live in Canada and last I checked you still have the option to get a shot or not.
The article implies that unvaccinated people "should"/"need" to get a shot to prevent COVID-19 from progressing. That is wrong. What they choose to do to their body is *their* call, not yours or mine or the governments.

I am double vaxxed.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
angryaudifanatic wrote: The article implies that unvaccinated people "should"/"need" to get a shot to prevent COVID-19 from progressing. That is wrong. What they choose to do to their body is *their* call, not yours or mine or the governments.

I am double vaxxed.
Tell Biden about it. He is looking for scapegoats for his failed vaccines campaign
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3457 posts
3341 upvotes
angryaudifanatic wrote: The article implies that unvaccinated people "should"/"need" to get a shot to prevent COVID-19 from progressing. That is wrong. What they choose to do to their body is *their* call, not yours or mine or the governments.

I am double vaxxed.
So you disagree with kids getting measles/polio/mumps vaccines? Is suggesting to people to limit alcohol consumption telling people what to do with their bodies? The campaign against smoking? The suggested Canada Food Guide? No one is forcing adults to get it. They're trying to convince people to get it. Your argument makes no sense.
Last edited by tim-x on Jul 19th, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3457 posts
3341 upvotes
smartie wrote: Tell Biden about it. He is looking for scapegoats for his failed vaccines campaign
Are you one of those people that thinks Trump needs to get credit for the vaccine that you refuse to take?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6324 posts
2514 upvotes
does it matter?

This is also scares me. The cases and %population ratio. almost all on left side.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
callernamet wrote: Image

This is also scares me. The cases and %population ratio. almost all on left side.
It is to be expected. Most new(er) immigrants and likely to be working in labor intensive industries like logistics, grocery stores, retail, food industry, etc.
Would be nice if they also added vaccination rates to that graph.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
If they want to jumpstart first dose campaign :
1) Follow Macrons edict in France. No entry on public transport, restaurants, public pools, sporting events, concerts, etc without vaccination.
2) Continue and increase outreach and popups into less advantaged communities. The well off were perfectly capable of vaccine hunting. The poorer communities may have less access to tech and add language barriers.
3) Introduce vaccine passports.
4) Relax travel rules for fully vaccinated and continue with testing and mandatory quarantine for non vaccinated.
5) Adding these points - show what vaccines are available by location i.e. Pfizer or Moderna. Yes, I know they are interchangeable but if people do not want to mix and match, then make it easy for them to get what they want now that we have enough of both Pfizer and Moderna.
6) Mandate vaccinations in health care and LTC.
7) Mandate testing for all outbound unvaccinated passengers. Just because the arrival country (eg Mexico) does not demand vaccination, there should not be a risk to other passengers on that plane from unvaccinated and untested.
Last edited by vernonco on Jul 19th, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nov 23, 2014
192 posts
633 upvotes
Richmond, BC
angryaudifanatic wrote: As a woman I'm so tired of being told what to do. I may disagree with people who refuse vaccination but I do not think it is appropriate to force other people to do things to their own body.
Are you also a vegan by any chance?
Apr 4, 2006
474 posts
88 upvotes
Burlington

I am double vaxxed.
Sorry I can’t agree with you on the point of “it’s your body”, we are dealing in this case with a communicable disease. There should not be a my body I can do what I want when you being unvaccinated can kill someone. Simple as that.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
Wave n
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1741 posts
1040 upvotes
Easier way - give people an income tax credit bonus if you're vaccinated. Directly tie it to health care cost stats. No discrimination risk.
vernonco wrote: If they want to jumpstart first dose campaign :
1) Follow Macrons edict in France. No entry on public transport, restaurants, public pools, sporting events, concerts, etc without vaccination.
2) Continue and increase outreach and popups into less advantaged communities. The well off were perfectly capable of vaccine hunting. The poorer communities may have less access to tech and add language barriers.
3) Introduce vaccine passports.
4) Relax travel rules for fully vaccinated and continue with testing and mandatory quarantine for non vaccinated.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1648 posts
865 upvotes
Chickennbeans wrote: Easier way - give people an income tax credit bonus if you're vaccinated. Directly tie it to health care cost stats. No discrimination risk.
I agree. However there will be people screaming about how the govt is spending 'our' money and the next 5 gens will have to pay it back. Yadayada.
May 19, 2005
655 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
Gidget wrote: Sorry I can’t agree with you on the point of “it’s your body”, we are dealing in this case with a communicable disease. There should not be a my body I can do what I want when you being unvaccinated can kill someone. Simple as that.
Just because of your low standard of few months of controlled safety testing don't mean squat when historical standards are at least a few years of rigorous testing. Vaccinated idiots without masks can transmit virus and kill someone too, especially with their new superman behaviour by f*ing around carelessly, simple as that, just look at the number of vaccinated infected uk cases as an example.

Don't even pretend that you care about the lives about the unvaccinated people because you would wish them all dead already, so no need to lockdown again if they started dying out, simple as that.
For people who live in a condo sharing the circulated air, they're screwed either way whether the unvaccinated go out shopping or not.

Behaviour dictate the number of cases, not so much the vaccination rate. I know Canadian like to compare to the crappier countries to make it look like we have done a good job, but check out HK/Taiwan covid19 cases, see how quick they shot down their wave within 2 weeks. It takes months here before it even level off, and those population have low vaccination rate using Sinopharm etc, not mrna.

These are the numbers any Western countries like Canada can only dream of. Don't even started on how congested their living standard in those countries are, ROFLMAO. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

HK
hk.PNG
hkv.PNG
Taiwan
taiwan.PNG
taiwanv.PNG
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3457 posts
3341 upvotes
The free market will probably work it out. Many businesses are toying with the idea of only serving vaccinated customers. The government may not have to mandate vaccine passports, airlines might do it for them. Their business their choice?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)