Is Canada Post really backed up?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 6th, 2023 1:54 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1613 posts
822 upvotes
toronto
alot easier just to go pick up the dog food yourself,,your spending too much time corresponding and bitching,,time is money Geeze
CanadianChick39 wrote: I am still waiting on a cheque that was mailed out around the 17th of March.

I pay for Amazon Prime and also ordered 2 bags of dogs food (14kg each) shipped separately off Amazon. They arrived at the post office and they never did attempt to deliver it. They filled out the notice and left it in the mail box. This was March 23 they also never attempted to deliver or send a 2nd notice.

Amazon sent out 2 more bags since Canada Post wouldn’t deliver it to my house. However the 2nd order went out with Canada Post and I got an email from Amazon that Canada Post attempted delivery but didn’t want to leave the package unattended. Nobody came to my property instead they left the notice card in my mail box.

Amazon put in a request to have Canada Post listed as last option for shipping but it takes a couple weeks to kick in.

Does Canada Post not have to deliver packages to your home?
No advertising in avatars or sigs
Jan 18, 2015
50 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Had a package processed in Mississauga on April 8th. Generally would be at my local delivery facility the next day. However, still hasn’t moved and it is April 14th.

I’ve had items sit in Mississauga for a week plus but never after getting processed.

Safe to say it’s lost? Or is this normal now? Haven’t dealt with Canada Post in months.
Dec 3, 2020
106 posts
85 upvotes
Sent a letter mail from ON to a friend in BC, it's been 14 business days and still counting.
Another one (same route but sent out 1 week earlier) took 12 business days.
Feb 1, 2020
6 posts
2 upvotes
I returned a watch to Hudson Bay - Dec. 23, 2020 (so they will send it as a refund to their other location (maybe warehouse). As of today still - Expected delivery: Item delayed — stay tuned for updates.

Dec. 21, 2020 2:41 pm Return label created
Delivery status
Expected delivery: Item delayed — stay tuned for updates

Is it even normal? This is like over 3 months after the return. I contacted Hudson Bay twice already and all they said was they will take a look at it but nothing happens after.
May 31, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
Has anyone had a parcel stuck in limbo? "International shipment has arrived in foreign country" without updates?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
That likely means it's sitting in customs.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
germansy wrote: Has anyone had a parcel stuck in limbo? "International shipment has arrived in foreign country" without updates?
mikebc wrote: That likely means it's sitting in customs.
This

@germansy ... see you are relatively new to the RFD Forums

This is the Canada Post DOMESTIC MAIL thread (since Covid) which @mikebc a Postie posts updates in

There is also an ongoing RFD MegaThread for INTERNATIONAL MAIL ..
Mail Processing at Canada Customs SLOW = mail-processing-canada-customs-slow-711375/

Best place to check in and hear what others are currently experiencing
Don’t forget to mention which country it’s coming in from
Jan 4, 2008
942 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
I have an Amazon package I'm returning, but not sure if I should just drop it off at a mailbox or go directly into Shoppers and drop it off at the mail there (obviously my reason for just using a mailbox outside is so that I avoid going inside a store).

Does it matter which one I use? And when sending it back, can I just tape back the envelope I got from Amazon (it's those white envelopes you tear open), put the shipping label on it, and just drop it off in the box?
Nov 5, 2018
657 posts
769 upvotes
dxbender wrote: I have an Amazon package I'm returning, but not sure if I should just drop it off at a mailbox or go directly into Shoppers and drop it off at the mail there (obviously my reason for just using a mailbox outside is so that I avoid going inside a store).

Does it matter which one I use? And when sending it back, can I just tape back the envelope I got from Amazon (it's those white envelopes you tear open), put the shipping label on it, and just drop it off in the box?
On your second point, yes, just tape it shut and attach the label. Make sure to tape it well, some tape doesn't stick to the plastic as well as it does to the paper. You don't want the label coming off.

As for where to drop it, you can do either. In-person is my first choice with Amazon, as they will often issue the refund as soon as the label scans at the postal outlet. Canada Post officially accepts parcels in mailboxes, but they do not get scanned by the driver emptying the box, or at your local postal centre. Instead, you have to wait until the item gets closer to the destination for it to start tracking. Amazon doesn't issue the refund until they see it tracking, so you're stuck in limbo for a while.

I dropped an Amazon return in the mailbox back in January, right when COVID was hitting the Gateway plant. I didn't see it start tracking for almost 3 weeks, and my refund took that long then too.
Jan 4, 2008
942 posts
413 upvotes
Mississauga
Catenary wrote: On your second point, yes, just tape it shut and attach the label. Make sure to tape it well, some tape doesn't stick to the plastic as well as it does to the paper. You don't want the label coming off.

As for where to drop it, you can do either. In-person is my first choice with Amazon, as they will often issue the refund as soon as the label scans at the postal outlet. Canada Post officially accepts parcels in mailboxes, but they do not get scanned by the driver emptying the box, or at your local postal centre. Instead, you have to wait until the item gets closer to the destination for it to start tracking. Amazon doesn't issue the refund until they see it tracking, so you're stuck in limbo for a while.

I dropped an Amazon return in the mailbox back in January, right when COVID was hitting the Gateway plant. I didn't see it start tracking for almost 3 weeks, and my refund took that long then too.
Next stupid question, do I just walk up to that desk at shoppers and be like "I have this package to ship" and that's it?
Nov 5, 2018
657 posts
769 upvotes
dxbender wrote: Next stupid question, do I just walk up to that desk at shoppers and be like "I have this package to ship" and that's it?
Yep, pretty much. They'll usually scan it in front of you and throw it in the back. They don't usually give me a receipt for returns and that's fine by me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Catenary wrote: They don't usually give me a receipt for returns and that's fine by me.
They will if you ask. Or keep a copy of the shipping label. It has the tracking number on it that you can use to see the package's progress on CPC's website.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about going into a SDM. Once you're in head straight for the postal outlet. There's no need to go through checkout or otherwise deal with SDM sales staff.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
DrElvira wrote: I returned a watch to Hudson Bay - Dec. 23, 2020 (so they will send it as a refund to their other location (maybe warehouse). As of today still - Expected delivery: Item delayed — stay tuned for updates.

Dec. 21, 2020 2:41 pm Return label created
Delivery status
Expected delivery: Item delayed — stay tuned for updates

Is it even normal? This is like over 3 months after the return. I contacted Hudson Bay twice already and all they said was they will take a look at it but nothing happens after.
As the sender, you have to initiate tracing with CP. I don't think receivers are allowed to do anything.
Dec 14, 2011
126 posts
20 upvotes
Halifax, NS
Let's see if CP will deliver by that day.

Expected delivery: Monday, May 3 by end of day

Apr. 27 4:15 pm
Shipment received at originating postal facility
Mississauga, ON

Apr. 27 3:14 pm
Shipment picked up by Canada Post
Mississauga, ON

Apr. 27 3:12 pm
Electronic information submitted by shipper
Dec 24, 2014
65 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I mail stuff every couple days. its been getting to destinations unusually fast the last couple weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9928 posts
7091 upvotes
Mississauga
Peel Public Health declared another outbreak at Gateway. We’ll see how that impacts mail delivery now.
Aug 19, 2019
103 posts
106 upvotes
EIther CP is really backed up or they lost my package.
Package is going from city to city in same province. Less than 25km distance.

Delivery progress

Information updated: Apr. 28

Date Time Progress
Apr. 20 9:24 am
Richmond, BC

Apr. 16

Delivery standard: Apr. 22

Reason for delivery standard date change: Item was received by Canada Post after cut-off time.
Last edited by Cfup69 on Apr 28th, 2021 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27805 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Cfup69 wrote: EIther CP is really backed up or they lost my package.

Delivery progress

Information updated: Apr. 28

Date Time Progress
Apr. 20 9:24 am
Richmond, BC

Apr. 16

Delivery standard: Apr. 22

Reason for delivery standard date change: Item was received by Canada Post after cut-off time.
So ...
April 16th ... Shipper made Label
April 20th ... Parcel arrived at first Postal Facility
April 28th ... Info is updated and only lets you know that your parcel is in the system somewhere

Pretty normal in Covid times
Delivery Standards mean squat ... to be fair they mean squat with Courier Cos too

It’s the WAREHOUSE COVID EFFECT ... which continues to be the biggest spreader of Covid
Lots of warehouses are struggling ... including Canada Post
With manpower issues ... out with Covid - Isolating due to possible exposure - out on sick leave / compassionate leave to care for a family member with Covid
Plus social distancing rules ... make everything move slower ... cuz of fewer people & more steps

And this is all BEFORE AN OUTBREAK
You get a facility with an outbreak ... it’s hell on wheels
Cuz of shutdowns for deep cleaning
And in Ontario ... possible shutdown / lockdown entirely by the Province (the Section 22 Rule in the Public Health Act )
So as to bring these more contagious aggressive & DEADLY new mutants under control
As ICU space here is severely lacking now
(Hitting people hard in the 16 to 60 age bracket)

So given all that ... no surprise on your parcel status
Esp if it was routing thru any major Cdn City right now struggling with the 3rd Wave

Where ... was this parcel headed ?
Aug 19, 2019
103 posts
106 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: So ...
April 16th ... Shipper made Label
April 20th ... Parcel arrived at first Postal Facility
April 28th ... Info is updated and only lets you know that your parcel is in the system somewhere

Pretty normal in Covid times
Delivery Standards mean squat ... to be fair they mean squat with Courier Cos too

It’s the WAREHOUSE COVID EFFECT ... which continues to be the biggest spreader of Covid
Lots of warehouses are struggling ... including Canada Post
With manpower issues ... out with Covid - Isolating due to possible exposure - out on sick leave / compassionate leave to care for a family member with Covid
Plus social distancing rules ... make everything move slower ... cuz of fewer people & more steps

And this is all BEFORE AN OUTBREAK
You get a facility with an outbreak ... it’s hell on wheels
Cuz of shutdowns for deep cleaning
And in Ontario ... possible shutdown / lockdown entirely by the Province (the Section 22 Rule in the Public Health Act )
So as to bring these more contagious aggressive & DEADLY new mutants under control
As ICU space here is severely lacking now
(Hitting people hard in the 16 to 60 age bracket)

So given all that ... no surprise on your parcel status
Esp if it was routing thru any major Cdn City right now struggling with the 3rd Wave

Where ... was this parcel headed ?
parcel is headed to Surrey, BC. Same province... about a 20 minute drive away.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9928 posts
7091 upvotes
Mississauga
Cfup69 wrote: parcel is headed to Surrey, BC. Same province... about a 20 minute drive away.
I probably would have hand delivered it at that point...