• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2021 9:16 pm
[OP]
Mar 9, 2014
660 posts
667 upvotes
Ottawa

Canada Post SnapShip - Barcode cannot print properly - Solution

If you ship using Canada Post's SnapShip, make sure check your barcode before putting the shipping label onto your package.

My printer thought it's smart and inserted grey transitions in between the black and white bars. Needless to say, Canada Post is unable to scan them.

You need to select Print As Image if this happens. In most cases, the grey transition is because the printer driver isn't PostScript.

I've never encountered this issue with Amazon return labels, only SnapShip.
pasimge.png
20190519_132413.jpg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3642 posts
2307 upvotes
London
i've never had that issue. but even if they cant scan it they can just type the tracking number into the computer manually and that will generate that drop off scan.
[OP]
Mar 9, 2014
660 posts
667 upvotes
Ottawa
aaron158 wrote: i've never had that issue. but even if they cant scan it they can just type the tracking number into the computer manually and that will generate that drop off scan.
Yes but then they have to manually type the code several times along the way.

The problem is mainly for printers with PCL drivers. PostScript isn't affected.
Nov 12, 2012
578 posts
270 upvotes
Port Moody
This is why I ship everything manually! Seriously, this would happen to me!!! I always seem to have printer problems - I try not to rely on it too much! Even with my Amazon returns, I once missed the 30 day window because I needed a new toner cartridge. Then by the time I got it in the mail, I forgot about the return and it was too late! DOH!
Jan 27, 2020
2 posts
Thank you, you saved me a return trip. I like to print my labels myself and drop off. Tried first time via canada post online website (buying and printing label); after all effort i do final check of barcode scanning by mobile and it didnt worked. tried printing label multiple times and then noticed spacing is incorrect in bar code which gets printed and after endlessly searching on internet got to this post; tried printing as image and voila all works fine. Thanks a lot, never had this issue with Ups/purolator.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3642 posts
2307 upvotes
London
jodha23 wrote: Thank you, you saved me a return trip. I like to print my labels myself and drop off. Tried first time via canada post online website (buying and printing label); after all effort i do final check of barcode scanning by mobile and it didnt worked. tried printing label multiple times and then noticed spacing is incorrect in bar code which gets printed and after endlessly searching on internet got to this post; tried printing as image and voila all works fine. Thanks a lot, never had this issue with Ups/purolator.
another option to and the also good if your ur cheap and don't wanna use up ur paper and toner. when u buy the label with snap ship they email u a qr code just bring that qr code up on your phone when u get down to the post office and they can scan that and print the label off for u.