Canada Post weak signature + no GPS + no delivery photo = lost package

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2022 10:14 am
Oct 26, 2012
15 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough

Canada Post weak signature + no GPS + no delivery photo = lost package

I bought an $630 nVidia graphics card delivered by Canada post and it is lost. 3 weeks later, I was told the investigation has completed without locating the item, i.e. it is lost.

From discussion with the agent of Canada Post, I found its delivery is quite fragile.

1. Canada Post has no original signature to compare with what the receiver signed, therefore, the wrong receiver can draw anything on that handheld device and Canada Post has no reason to challenge it; even they have the original signature, I don't think the postman would make the careful comparision.

2. NO GPS data recorded when the handheld device is used for the receiver to sign. Therefore, when reported lost, the package cannot be traced with the GPS info. It is a huge flaw, it is very useful if GPS is enabled on the device, because the wrong address can be instantly recognized during the delivery.

3. The final resort is taking the delivery picture as other carriers do. That can prevent most of the inside stealing, because even with the help of GPS, the insider can still make a fake sign when driving passing the receiver 's front door without being detected, but taking the picture of the delivery would make such stealing much more difficult.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jul 12th, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title for clarity
7 replies
Sep 16, 2007
850 posts
426 upvotes
Ancaster
Sign up for flex delivery and all of your future packages will go to the post office for you to pick up.

Sorry they lost your package. Did you contact the sender?
She/Her
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3909 posts
2338 upvotes
Ottawa
Want to know something even more "fun"?

Even when signature is required, all couriers just care about delivering it to some human. Don't truly care if it's delivered to the correct address or not.
Oct 26, 2012
15 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Seller reported the loss as well, two tickets created on Canada Post. No luck.
Canada Post paid the loss.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
Akitakara wrote: Want to know something even more "fun"?

Even when signature is required, all couriers just care about delivering it to some human. Don't truly care if it's delivered to the correct address or not.
I had that happen with a monitor work sent to me. They accidentally sent it to my prior address via Purolator and someone signed for it.
Initially Purolator's response was "well someone signed for it", yet I'm living on the other side of the country.

When I was able to speak to the prior superintendant who said there's no one living in my prior condo and that they have it on camera that the driver never even left it but walked out with the box, they apparently changed their tune. However that was the last I heard since it was my job that was looking into it after.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8553 posts
11763 upvotes
GTA
IceBlueShoes wrote: I had that happen with a monitor work sent to me. They accidentally sent it to my prior address via Purolator and someone signed for it.
Initially Purolator's response was "well someone signed for it", yet I'm living on the other side of the country.

When I was able to speak to the prior superintendant who said there's no one living in my prior condo and that they have it on camera that the driver never even left it but walked out with the box, they apparently changed their tune. However that was the last I heard since it was my job that was looking into it after.
Lucky they had video of the driver leaving with the box. If it was actually delivered it would have been your companies fault for sending it to the wrong address. The courier only needs a signature from a resident not from the person whose name is on the package. Even when you go to the depot to pick up a package all you have to do is provide ID with a matching address, does matter about the name.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
abram1977 wrote: Seller reported the loss as well, two tickets created on Canada Post. No luck.
Canada Post paid the loss.
OK, so you are not out any money, thats good. Your post made it sound like they would not refund you the money.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
IMO, I feel that any business that ships via Canada Post should always give the option to send it to the CP post office (or PO at Shoppers Drug Mart) for pick-up. I'm done sending things to my house. I'll try to deliver packages to my office now or PO if at all possible. Amazon has hubs, so that's good too.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)