• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 1:05 pm
[OP]
Oct 21, 2007
443 posts
74 upvotes
Halifax

Canada pre-paid sim card for iphone?

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked recently, our kids are back to school and we'd like to get their iphones working as cheaply as possible for when they are not within a wifi signal in case they need to call us.

My wife has a iphone plan through bell, but it seems quite pricey to add either of the kids to her plan even for basic service. Can someone recommend a cheap pre-paid sim card that will simply give a certain amount of call minutes??

Oh, and if it matters, I believe one of the kids iphones was purchased new from Apple and never activated yet with any carrier. The other was originally a Bell iphone. Does that restrict what we can use??

Thanks!!!
6 replies
Nov 26, 2002
629 posts
73 upvotes
My 3 teen boys all have old iPhones with a Public Mobile Sim. $15 for 100 minutes with unlimited texting and a small bit of data for when they are away from WiFi. Seems to work well enough.
[OP]
Oct 21, 2007
443 posts
74 upvotes
Halifax
hempopotamus wrote: My 3 teen boys all have old iPhones with a Public Mobile Sim. $15 for 100 minutes with unlimited texting and a small bit of data for when they are away from WiFi. Seems to work well enough.
Thanks, is there a particular brand you go with?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3797 posts
3542 upvotes
Muskoka
The $15 plan Public Mobile will be $13 and $12 respectively (after autopay bonus and assuming you use one account to refer the other, easy to do) This also goes down by another $1 each year for 5 years. If you later switch up to plans with larger data buckets, you can keep these rewards.

The 100mins per 30days mentioned earlier is outgoing only and Cda wide, you get unlimited incoming minutes. Incoming does not count towards your 100mins. You do get 250mb of data, not much, and this could become an issue with iMessage since iMessage uses data. Not much but if you run out of data, i message will wait until return to Wifi. There is a setting in the iPhone that can turn off iMessage and then all texts use the regular SMS network, which is unlimited in this plan.

One other thing available for this this plan is a $5 CdaWide 500min talk add-on. You get 500mins and this auto kicks in when you run out of the 100min monthly allotment. It's seamless and the unused minutes keep rolling over until the 500 mins are used up.

Another option is the $25 Lucky Mobile plan. I only suggest this because you get unlimited data at super slow speeds after regular data is used up. The data is slow but will be fine for iMessage and you never have to worry. But it is twice the cost since there are no reward discounts.

If it were my kids, i would pick Public Mobile

The old iPhone from Bell can be unlocked for free - CRTC mandate. It may be unlocked already depending on how old.
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19995 posts
9423 upvotes
Oakville
We need more info: what do your kids actually need? Is it for emergency calls only, where the odds of them using it are almost zero? If that's the case, you could get by with a Speakout plan. $25 top up is good for $365 days... Calls and texts are pay-per-use, and a 911 fee comes out every month so you get very little in the way of actual texts or call time with that $25 over the course of a year... But if the phone is truly only for emergencies, it shouldn't matter. If you expect for them to call you a handful of times a month, then yes - either a $15 Public Mobile plan or a $25 Lucky Mobile plan are probably the way to go.
Apr 25, 2019
457 posts
715 upvotes
I would recommend Lucky Mobile for iPhone users because the data is unlimited at 128 Kbps after the 1 GB allotment. It should be good enough for streaming Spotify on low, web browsing with a little bit of patience, and importantly, iMessage!
Public Mobile 5GB $33