Careers

Canada sees gain of 350,000 jobs in the top half of wages in 2020 while low wage jobs fall by 740,000

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 6:10 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4703 posts
3804 upvotes

Canada sees gain of 350,000 jobs in the top half of wages in 2020 while low wage jobs fall by 740,000

anecdotally I saw a lot of this in my sector and what my colleagues elsewhere and friends said as well. Lots of high wage positions were hiring/created in 2020 as companies pivoted to the pandemic. I think Covid19 really accelerated the decades long trend of very robust job creation in the higher paying positions while lower skilled jobs fell with offshoring, automation etc..

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ort-finds/
Over the past year, there has been a net increase of nearly 350,000 people employed in the top half of wages, making at least $27.82 an hour, CIBC Capital Markets said Tuesday in a report. And job creation is clustering near the top: Around 260,000 positions have been added in the highest wage quartile of at least $41.73 an hour.

At the other end, there’s been a net loss of 740,000 employees in the bottom half of hourly wages, an outcome more typical of recessions. (CIBC’s report focuses on company employees and excludes the self-employed.) For those in the bottom quartile, earning less than $13.91 an hour, employment has dropped by 22 per cent.
11 replies
Aug 1, 2016
310 posts
505 upvotes
Makes sense, been in the job market for about a year now. Lost my previous job at the start of the pandemic. One thing I've noticed while searching for jobs is that many places have loads of senior or higher up management positions vacant/listed. Yet entry level or level 1 positions are barely there.

At my local pizza and wings place, they had a help wanted sign there, and curiously I asked the store owner about it. It was just a front cashier part time position, yet the owner said they got like 300+ applications for it. With some people having worked 5+ years of experience working at big name enterprises. He said he'd never seen anything like it. Can't believe how desperate the situation has become now.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34982 posts
4269 upvotes
Winnipeg
I believe this, low wage jobs tends to interact with people directly whereas higher position interact more with machines or with people remotely.
Banned
Feb 3, 2021
81 posts
91 upvotes
DannyH17 wrote: Makes sense, been in the job market for about a year now. Lost my previous job at the start of the pandemic. One thing I've noticed while searching for jobs is that many places have loads of senior or higher up management positions vacant/listed. Yet entry level or level 1 positions are barely there.

At my local pizza and wings place, they had a help wanted sign there, and curiously I asked the store owner about it. It was just a front cashier part time position, yet the owner said they got like 300+ applications for it. With some people having worked 5+ years of experience working at big name enterprises. He said he'd never seen anything like it. Can't believe how desperate the situation has become now.
Was there ANY dispute that the COVID measures ruined millions of families livelihoods? Not going to comment if it was worth it or not because everybody has their opinion based on their own situation, and nothing else.

Offshoring and automation got super boosted by COVID measures including the work from home. Same with companies noticing how much fat there was to trim from the bottom.

Our children will get to know true suffering. There will not be any intermediate step to move up the company and fill the top half.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34982 posts
4269 upvotes
Winnipeg
SharmaLe wrote: Was there ANY dispute that the COVID measures ruined millions of families livelihoods? Not going to comment if it was worth it or not because everybody has their opinion based on their own situation, and nothing else.
Offshoring and automation got super boosted by COVID measures including the work from home. Same with companies noticing how much fat there was to trim from the bottom.
Our children will get to know true suffering. There will not be any intermediate step to move up the company and fill the top half.
only a matter of time before ubi is a thing
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1413 posts
1216 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: only a matter of time before ubi is a thing
That's cool. So the government will give you money for breathing oxygen.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” ...
Jan 1, 2015
663 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto, ON
divx wrote: only a matter of time before ubi is a thing
I'm all for UBI as long as I get the same amount as everyone else (richer or poorer)

If I don't qualify for it, then the current welfare system is sufficient.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
34982 posts
4269 upvotes
Winnipeg
cowbunpants wrote: That's cool. So the government will give you money for breathing oxygen.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.” ...
FrugalConsumer wrote: I'm all for UBI as long as I get the same amount as everyone else (richer or poorer)
people already vote themselves money, lets not kid yourself thinking all the various ways Trudeau have been giving out taxpayer money to various programs is any cheaper than straight up ubi.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3832 posts
3925 upvotes
We need to lower the minimum wage, not raise it. This is basic economics but people don't seem to realize the worst thing you can do right now is to even consider raising the minimum wage (US, in particular).

I was (tax year 2020 and before) a high income earner (retired now). Even then I wouldn't consider paying $40 for dinner at Boston Pizza, let alone now. The service industry seems to always want to vote themselves out of a job when they keep on asking for increased wages while realizing that a good chunk of the population would simply not spend money there. I grew up when 10 pack nuggets wasn't $10.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7180 posts
4361 upvotes
Victoria, BC
FrugalConsumer wrote: I'm all for UBI as long as I get the same amount as everyone else (richer or poorer)

I would assume it should look like this, with possible clawbacks at certain income levels come tax time (like with OAS).
Jan 1, 2015
663 posts
557 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Chickinvic wrote: I would assume it should look like this, with possible clawbacks at certain income levels come tax time (like with OAS).
Then it's not universal and is the same as welfare. Rich or not, universal basic income should be given to all citizens at the minimum.

And I'm not a rich person by any means. It's about equality.