[OP]
Banned
Nov 27, 2006
2200 posts
443 upvotes
Toronto
TM2Megatron wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 3:36 pm
Why didn't this Reverend in Knoxville buy them tickets to the US, instead? And invite them into his own home and take on the cost himself? Instead, he sends them our way and expects Canada to foot the bill. Absolutely incredible.
Right????

can you guess why??

Because USA would have never let them in.
Temp. Banned
Dec 19, 2009
3511 posts
1497 upvotes
heynayjk wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 2:12 pm
They are smart. They know that just like Germany we don't have borders so they came here. The process is

1 come here
2 claim refugee status
3 stay here two years while refugee status is being processed
4 find out refugee status is denied
5 cry to media that they have significant ties with Canada now that they have spent two years of their lives here
6 Get their diabetes cured on taxpayers money (it looks like there was no shortage of food where they came from)
7 Get citizenship
8 Get apologies from Junior
9 (a bonus) attack a soldier and get $10.5m from Junior

After all, diversity is our strength!
What foreign born Canadian citizen got $10.5m from Junior for attacking a Canadian soldier?
You work for CNN that fake news network?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6087 posts
2129 upvotes
They came too early to qualify for free Canada Goose jackets - the outside temp has to be below 0C.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23190 posts
2796 upvotes
Montreal
peanutz wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 12:47 pm
Dude...that news article has a link to the mom's e-mail. I wonder if they will receive hate mail... (don't be mean, sirex!)

I don't like Canada's leaky border policies either, but that's up to us to fix. I find it hard to blame the individuals or families, especially the ones fleeing legitimate problems like a devastating storm.
There are no leaky borders at issue here. Bahamian citizens can visit Canada without a visa.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23190 posts
2796 upvotes
Montreal
Andro wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 3:32 pm
Other than your imagination, where did the op state that his/hers parents were white? In addition, you may need to provide supporting evidence to your blanket claim on "whites being accepted no questions asked"

Sure seems like you are trying to turn this thread into "visible minority vs whites" thread, which originally was about ease of obtaining refugee status.
Feel free to study Canadian history

http://ccrweb.ca/en/brief-history-canad ... s-refugees

Virtually every law passed until the 60s was an attempt at directly or indirectly blocking non European migration. Some of the laws were designed to even block the wrong kind of European migration.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2017
484 posts
109 upvotes
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:09 pm

Virtually every law passed until the 60s was an attempt at directly or indirectly blocking non European migration. Some of the laws were designed to even block the wrong kind of European migration.
What's your point? A European-founded country encourages Europeans to immigrate to it? Immigrating to a country is a privilege, so if a country decides that it only accepts people 7 feet or taller then only people 7 feet or taller can immigrate. It doesn't matter that a 6 feet tall person is as capable.
[removed political signature]
Sep 1, 2013
711 posts
269 upvotes
Mississauga
Most modern ethnically homogeneous countries (relative to Canada and other similar nations, anyway) don't seem to get any flak at all for being so. I'm not advocating Canada should be such a place, but I'm sick to death of Canada getting so much shit from people like Raider (bizarre they live someplace they apparently can't stand the culture or people) when it's one of those countries that has basically opened itself up to people from anywhere in the world to come and try to improve their lives and those of their children. I don't think it's too much to ask that people come here legitimately, whether they be refugee or immigrant.

On topic, the family that's the subject of this CTV article is clearly not legitimate, and should be denied any status here.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23190 posts
2796 upvotes
Montreal
heynayjk wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:29 pm
What's your point? A European-founded country encourages Europeans to immigrate to it? Immigrating to a country is a privilege, so if a country decides that it only accepts people 7 feet or taller then only people 7 feet or taller can immigrate. It doesn't matter that a 6 feet tall person is as capable.
My point is immigration should be based on individual qualifications and assessment of security risk, and be neutral to race, religion or ethnicity.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23190 posts
2796 upvotes
Montreal
TM2Megatron wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:39 pm
Most modern ethnically homogeneous countries (relative to Canada and other similar nations, anyway) don't seem to get any flak at all for being so. I'm not advocating Canada should be such a place, but I'm sick to death of Canada getting so much shit from people like Raider (bizarre they live someplace they apparently can't stand the culture or people) when it's one of those countries that has basically opened itself up to people from anywhere in the world to come and try to improve their lives and those of their children. I don't think it's too much to ask that people come here legitimately, whether they be refugee or immigrant.
I bitch and complain because I am citizen and taxpayer of this ethnically homogenous country, not any other ethnically homigenous country. So I get a say in its policy and law making. Period.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3424 posts
631 upvotes
London
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:40 pm
My point is immigration should be based on individual qualifications and assessment of security risk, and be neutral to race, religion or ethnicity.

Why should it be? Is it just Canada you think should have this or all countries?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
23190 posts
2796 upvotes
Montreal
snow00774 wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:59 pm
Why should it be? Is it just Canada you think should have this or all countries?
Because we believe in the charter? The rule of law? Human Rights?

Other countries can do as they please since I am not a voter in those countries.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2001
2440 posts
331 upvotes
Toronto
heynayjk wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:29 pm
Slow your horses....this is a European founded country? So there was no indigenous population, they just "FOUND IT." Quite similar to how Columbus found the new world. Go read some history before making such a ridiculous statement.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31321 posts
2757 upvotes
Winnipeg
mr_raider wrote:
Sep 10th, 2017 5:09 pm

no surprise there, everyone wants rich educated immigrants.