Personal Finance

Locked: Canada's Best Credit Cards in 2017? Let's have it!

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2017 5:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
469 upvotes
Thornhill

Canada's Best Credit Cards in 2017? Let's have it!

While I am not as crazy as some people here who apply to dozens per year, I've had a bunch in the last 14 years. My favorite so far are any credit cards related to Aeroplan Points. I fly quite a bit and able to collect quite a bit via flying in addition to sign up bonuses.
Google some of these cards as various cashback sites may offer bonus $$ if you sign up through them that can range from $20-$80

Here's a list of some of them and hopefully I can add and update it occasionally.

1. American Express Gold Card.
25,000 Amex points after you spend $1500 in 3 months + 5000 points when you add a supplement card. Points can be transferred to Avios or Aeroplan 1:1
You can also earn generous amount of miles for referring family and friends. First year is free, which is an amazing deal.
See various Amex Cards here

2.American Express Business Gold Card.
Provides 40,000 Amex Points (via referral) or 30,000 if applying without it when you spend $5000 within 3 months. You can also use points to pay for purchases, giving you a $400 statement credit. Though, you will get more out of them if you transfer those points to Avios or Aeroplan.
First year is free as well.

3. TD Visa Infinite Aeroplan.
This is my oldest card. TD has been running various 25,000 aeroplan points promos for a while. As of January, It seems the current promo however is 15,000 on sign up and first purchase and another 10,000 after 12 months when you renew your card. First year is free as well.
I really like the out of province Medical coverage on this card, which is 21 days. Most other cards are around 15 days.
If you have TD All Inclusive Chequing Account, they will wave annual fee, if you will decide to keep this card for more than 1 year.
Here's a link I found for this current promo TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite

4. CIBC Visa Aerogold Visa Infinite.
They have on/off promotions for first year free and 25,000 Aeroplan points. As of January 2017 it seems they are giving 15,000 sign up Aeroplan points. However, you have to apply in branch. Last time I tried to cancel this card they offered 10,000 aeroplan points if I keep the card.

5. Best Western Rewards Master Card.
No Fee and you will get 40,000 Best Western Points(used to be 60,000 with some spend) when make any purchase, with no minimum spend. Pretty good deal. 40,000 points is enough for 1-3 nights stay at Best Western Properties around the World. While 1 night in Manhattan, NY would be around 32,000 points, less busy areas start at 12,000 points per night. There's no referral program as far as I know. You can transfer points to Aeroplan and a few other airlines, but ROI is very small so I would not recommend it. You can also buy various gift cards with these points, eg. Subway, Starbucks,etc.
Here's the current promo as far as I can see. Apply for Best Western Card

6 Marriott Rewards Premiere Visa
First year is free and you are given 50,000 points upon sign up, which is enough for up to 6 nights stay. They used to give also a voucher for a 1 night free stay at category 1-4 hotels, but their current promotion only seem to give 1-night stay at category 1-5 hotel if you keep your card for 1 year. I find the value of Marriott Visa to be at least double of Best Western card. There are 5-star properties around the World that start at 15,000 points. You can also transfer and pool these points with the SPG Credit Cards. If husband and wife get 2 cards, receive the points and transfer them to SPG, where they will also get points, that will allow you to stay for free a week and ski somewhere in the Alps in Switzerland,etc. Add a free Aeroplan flight and it's a cheap/free vacation! You can also transfer those point from Marriott, but hotel stays seem to give the best ROI
Here's the current sign up deal I know: Marriott Rewards Premiere Visa

7. BMO World Elite MasterCard.
The annual fee is $150. It is however is completely free if you have BMO Premium Chequing account. Also there's a current promo for Nesbitt Burns to get it for free, which would make this card a good deal. BMO World Elite Mastercard
You will receive $300 in travel credits upon making a purchase. Also you will a Priority Pass and 4 lounge access passes(worth $108). Out of province medical insurance is 21 days which makes it a good card for those who travel for up to 3 weeks.

8. American Express Business Platinum Card.
$399/year. When you spend $5000 in the first 3 months you will receive 75,000 amex points. You can use those points against your statement($750 credit) or transfer them to Aeroplan. Even with a $399 fee, you are still making $350 if you use the points to pay for purchases. With the minimum spend, you will have enough points to fly to Africa, Europe or Asia.
You also will get free access to a number of airport lounges.
There's also a generous 25,000 referral bonus if you refer your friends or family to Platinum or Gold cards. I like the perks and the sign up bonus,but it's a questionable card for travel as I found a lot of places around the World won't accept Amex cards, aside from expensive hotels.

9. American Express Platinum Card.
Well, the yearly fee is $699 which is a lot. However, upon calculations it seem to be worth it, if you can utilize the perks. The sign up bonus is 60,000 points and you only need to spend $1000. You are also given $200 annual travel credit( example: If you apply for this card in March of 2017, you will get your $200 credit then and another one in January of 2018). That's $400 in total, which brings the total annual fee for this card from $699 to $299. You will also get Prestiege level Priority Pass(valued $399) with unlimited access to nearly 950 airport lounges Worldwide. For those who travel and have lengthy connections, that can be a huge perk. There are also a great array of various bonuses and insurances. If you refer someone from this card, you will get 15,000 amex points.

10. American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Card.
$120/year and when you spend $1500 within 3 months you will get 20,000 SPG points. Great for those who travel and especially those who like 4-5 star hotels. Lots of choices and I saw a few 5-star hotels where you can stay as little as 4,000 points. So, that $120 is definitely worth it. Pool those points with your other half and you've got enough points for a free vacation anywhere in the World for up to 10 days. American Express SPG Preferred Card. And if you want to refer a friend to this card, you will get 10,000 SPG points, which is quite a lot(up to ~ $500) in value.

11. TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite.
If you sign up through an affiliate/cashback program, you can get ~$50-60 by signing up. It was also free in 2016 for first year and they may bring it again. Otherwise it's $120/year. TD will give you $100 in travel credits(it was $200 before, so they may bring the promotion back). Here's the current sign up page: TD First Class Visa Sign Up
What I actually liked about this card is that there's price guarantee. When I was booking one of the hotels it was $10 more on TD For Expedia website. TD later matched the price and gave me $50 as they have price guarantee policy. So, that's another way to max out benefits of this card.

12. CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite and CIBC Aventura Gold Visa Card
First year is free. You will receive 15,000points which can be used for merchandise or redeemed for flights. Here's a link to the Rewards Chart. Sign up points are enough for a short haul return flight with a maximum value of $400
Here are the current sign up links 1. Aventura Gold Sign Up Page. 2. CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Sign Up

13. Desjardins Visa Odyssey  Gold
Well, It is an AMAZING Travel credit card if you travel for a long time out of province and require travel insurance. One of the longest coverage out of all the cards - offering 60 days of Medical and other travel insurance coverage. It's $110/year, but it is still worth it as if you will try to get similar coverage from anywhere else for 1 month or 2 months, it can easily cost you $600++ for you and your kids(your whole family is covered!)! I know a couple who went on a safari in Africa with kids a year ago and paid $900 for their all-inclusive travel insurance for 48 days. If they had this card, they would've paid nothing!
Desjardins Odyssey Gold Card Sign up

14. National Bank World Elite Master Card and National Bank Platinum Card
These are the only other travel credit cards I've ever heard of that offer up to 60 days Travel Insurance coverage. Annual fee is $125 or $150, but as mentioned previously, can save you a lot of money if you will decide to travel outside of Canada and need coverage for more than the standard 14-21days. Platinum Card also ads another 2 years to your purchase insurance that can save you a ton of money. Last time I bought an electronic item @ $3500, I paid ~ $300 for 2 years of additional coverage. It would've been free if I had this card.
You can view and sign up for these here: National Bank Travel Cards Sign Up

15. WestJet RBC World Elite MasterCard
Annual fee is $99. You will receive $250 WestJet bonus points and discounted companion ticket for $99-Canada & USA; $299 for Hawaii, Central America and Caribbean and $399 for companion air ticket for Europe. Plus free first checked bag whenever you fly with Westjet, which is a savings of $25+ per leg these days. A lot of good savings for folks who travel. The companion ticket in USA or Canada can easily save you ~ $400 - $500(eg. Toronto to LA or Toronto to Vancouver)
WestJet RBC World Elite Sign Up

16. Scotiabank Gold American Express Card
First year is free. 20,000 points at sign up and a minimum $750 spend. 20,000 points are worth $200. Up to 25 days emergency travel insurance. Probably one of the least favorite cards,but nevertheless $200 worth of points may be of some value for some.

17. Capital One Aspire TRAVEL World Elite Master Card
$150 per year. $400 in travel credits when you spend $1000 within 3 months. Great array of insurances, including purchase protection insurance( buy something for once price and if the price drops within $60 days, receive the difference up to $500/year)
Apply for Capital One Aspire

18. Scotiabank Momentum Infinite Visa
With first year free promo, 4% on groceries and gas, that can be quite a card for those who want to earn cashback on their purchases. There's 2% cashback on recurring payments and 1% on everything else. A family I know spends $700 on groceries+$300 on gas every month. That's $480 back to you, just from those purchases. There are also an array of perks that range from travel insurance to free wine tours.
Apply for Scotiabank Momentum Visa and you can use the following calculator to see how much you can earn and if it's worth it for you

19. MBNA Platinum Plus MasterCard.
No fee credit card. What really good about this card is it's 0% interest on balance transfers. If you have loans and other credit card debt and you are paying the standard $18-24% interest then you may want to consider this card. Here's an example: You owe $6000 on another credit card and paying 19% interest and you can only afford ~$600/month. By the end of 12 months, you will pay around $600 in interest! By having MBNA Platinum Master card, in this particular case you can save $600
Apply For MBNA Platinum Plus Card
Last edited by dazz on Jan 29th, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Share:
32 replies
Aug 3, 2006
712 posts
121 upvotes
Toronto
You're defining "best" primarily by their sign-up bonus... we really don't need another thread for this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
469 upvotes
Thornhill
BoogieMan wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 4:44 pm
You're defining "best" primarily by their sign-up bonus... we really don't need another thread for this.
You should read carefully... If you are not interested, just keep using your visa infinite...
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
3668 posts
797 upvotes
Yeah, don't think we really need another thread on this.
Nov 29, 2014
680 posts
80 upvotes
Pitt Meadows, BC
Speedy1 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 5:21 pm
Yeah, don't think we really need another thread on this.
We should have a thread on lesser known credit cards like the Chevron one. I don't even know if it's a Visa, Master Card, American Express or other...

I don't even think it has a rewards program. I have no idea why it exists....

http://www.chevroncards.ca/

I play the video games H2, WC3. I bank with low fee or no fee banks like Implicity. If you got questions ask.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
469 upvotes
Thornhill
User230 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 5:30 pm
We should have a thread on lesser known credit cards like the Chevron one. I don't even know if it's a Visa, Master Card, American Express or other...
Well, there's very little reason to use most of the cards. Every bank has a card, but they rarely worth the weight in your wallet
Some of these above offer great sign up rewards or/and are great as every day cards. Take the National or The Desjardin Cards I included. They don't offer anything at sign up,yet some people can save perhaps $1000s per year
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
20291 posts
3088 upvotes
Waterloo
Rewards Canada also has a big CC section on similar topics for anyone interested

Canada's Top Travel Rewards Credit Cards for 2017
http://www.rewardscanada.ca/topcc2017/

Rewards Canada's Ultimate Credit Card Portfolios
http://rewardscanada.ca/ultimate/

We should get a new [Credit Card] sub-forum on RFD in Personal Finance.... :D
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K || SPG 25K
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
469 upvotes
Thornhill
I would disagree with rewards Canada site with a number of their choices, but I guess the top cards give them the biggest referral bonus...
Jul 28, 2012
836 posts
248 upvotes
Montreal
User230 wrote:
Jan 29th, 2017 5:30 pm
Neither. It's a private label card. Only accepted at Chevron stations in Canada and Chevron/Texaco stations in the United States.

Many gas stations had private labels card before. Most of them have transitioned to either cobranded cards (such as the late CIBC Petro-Points card or RBC Visa Esso) or are now offered exclusively to businesses.
May 17, 2012
848 posts
325 upvotes
grand valley
these all seem to be travel cards? perhaps thread title should be updated to reflect that. ie. best travel cards

i've no use for the majority of them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2004
3986 posts
469 upvotes
Thornhill
esoxhntr wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 11:54 am
these all seem to be travel cards? perhaps thread title should be updated to reflect that. ie. best travel cards

i've no use for the majority of them.
Well, what do YOU use and why do you like yours. "I don't like it" comments don't really help anyone. As I mentioned, I am happy to add more cards if you provide details and information. While most of these so far are "travel cards" they also offer great incentives and benefits for those who don't travel. Some points(Eg. Aeroplan Points, Amex Points, Marriott, SPG,etc) can be converted and used as cash,gift cards,merchandise,etc. While that will probably give you 1/2 of what you would've gotten if you used it for travel, nevertheless, it's free money which you can use as you please.
Last edited by dazz on Jan 31st, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 25, 2002
836 posts
87 upvotes
Brampton
We don't need another thread for this.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
4166 posts
1167 upvotes
Kingston, ON
I'm okay with an updated/current "best credit cards" thread, but the execution is lacking. The sign-up bonus / FYF / card churning thread is this way ->

jerrys-list-credit-cards-200-welcome-bo ... q-1685293/
May 17, 2012
848 posts
325 upvotes
grand valley
dazz wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 12:12 pm
Well, what do YOU use and why do you like yours. "I don't like it" comments don't really help anyone. As I mentioned, I am happy to add more cards if you provide details and information. While most of these so far are "travel cards" they also offer great incentives and benefits for those who don't travel. Some points(Eg. Aeroplan Points, Amex Points, Marriott, SPG,etc) can be converted and used as cash,gift cards,merchandise,etc. While that will probably give you 1/2 of what you would've gotten if you used it for travel, nevertheless, it's free money which you can use as you please.
what works for us given our habits are the PCF World Elite MC and the Scotiabank Momentum Infinite Visa. 3% "CB" @ No Frills plus the whole PC Plus points gammut for the PCF World Elite and 4% CB at all other grocery and all fuel plus 2% on all recurring bill payments with the VISA. We do eat :D, drive a lot and have many recurring payments, so these make sense for us. Given our spending, these two cards combined net us about ~$750-800 annually in CB/Free Groceries. The Visa also has some nice travel perks (ie. insurance).

usual caveat applies; best for us may not be best for someone else.