Cell Phones

Canada's coming phone law changes: will they affect buying a phone?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2017 8:49 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
240 posts
61 upvotes

Canada's coming phone law changes: will they affect buying a phone?

I use flip phones, and my Rugby has finally fallen apart after many years. Will the new legal changes affect my ability (or inability) to buy (or not buy) a new flip phone to use on the Public Mobile network? PM don't sell phones, and the Big Dogs won't sell one without me signing up tp be a Semi-Permanent Revenue Stream for one of them, so I am left shopping at cell-phone shops which sell refurbished stuff which they buy from the Big Dogs. Will that change at all when the December changes happen? I can't see that the changes would help, but then, I don't know much about this stuff.
Thanks
I'm glad that I finally found the button.......
20 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34617 posts
8162 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I think the changes will open up the flood gates. Phone manufacturers will be able to sell phones to Walmart and not just the "Big Dogs"
Aug 17, 2017
230 posts
220 upvotes
remember sites like Amazon, London Drugs, and Newegg exist. All sell unlocked phones. You dont need to go to "The big 3" to get a phone. Best buy mobile and Wal-mart even sells pre-paid phones.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
240 posts
61 upvotes
Gee wrote: I think the changes will open up the flood gates. Phone manufacturers will be able to sell phones to Walmart and not just the "Big Dogs"
It isn't possible to buy directly from the manufacturer now, is it?
Deal Fanatic
May 18, 2009
6663 posts
1798 upvotes
Richmond Hill
razorboy wrote: It isn't possible to buy directly from the manufacturer now, is it?
you mean like the Samsung or Apple stores?
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
240 posts
61 upvotes
yesstyle wrote: you mean like the Samsung or Apple stores?
Are there Samsung stores in Canada? Do either company make a flip phone?

I answered my own question by phoning the Samsung store: Samsung will only sell flip phones through the Big Dogs, not directly to the public.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34617 posts
8162 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
razorboy wrote: I answered my own question by phoning the Samsung store: Samsung will only sell flip phones through the Big Dogs, not directly to the public.
I think it will be available once the changes are in place. Since all phones will be unlocked, you can go to a 7-Eleven and buy a flip phone and use it with any carrier. You'll just need to pay full price. Subsidies don't really exist today. Once the phones are unlocked, there is nothing holding you to the carrier. The monthly payment plans will disappear.
[OP]
Feb 22, 2009
240 posts
61 upvotes
But not all phones work on the same system, do they? PM is of course on Telus' network, and it needs to be GSM (whatever the ^$%# that is,) doesn't it? Or are they all GSM?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15193 posts
13490 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Buy a flip phone off the prepaid rack that's packaged for Telus or Koodo and use with PM.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
922 upvotes
razorboy wrote: But not all phones work on the same system, do they? PM is of course on Telus' network, and it needs to be GSM (whatever the ^$%# that is,) doesn't it? Or are they all GSM?
All the same. Only exception is Freedom and Videotron, their phones will work on all networks but phones from other networks may not work on these two (same technology, but different frequency).
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2720 upvotes
ON
titaniumtux wrote: Buy a flip phone off the prepaid rack that's packaged for Telus or Koodo and use with PM.
This. Even today, locked, all telus brands' sims will work in any of the phones. Telus, Koodo, public. They're all the same and don't need to be unlocked to use one of those SIMs in them.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34617 posts
8162 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
razorboy wrote: But not all phones work on the same system, do they? PM is of course on Telus' network, and it needs to be GSM (whatever the ^$%# that is,) doesn't it? Or are they all GSM?
Only Rogers has a GSM network. Everyone else is 3G, HSPA etc

GSM = 2G
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2061 posts
922 upvotes
Gee wrote: Only Rogers has a GSM network. Everyone else is 3G, HSPA etc

GSM = 2G
We are in 2017. Only one street has horse drawn carriages, on all the rest it's just cars, buses, etc.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34617 posts
8162 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
elwebmaster wrote: We are in 2017. Only one street has horse drawn carriages, on all the rest it's just cars, buses, etc.
Rogers has a 3G, HSPA and LTE network as well. Think of GSM as the bicycle lane.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15193 posts
13490 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Gee wrote: Rogers has a 3G, HSPA and LTE network as well. Think of GSM as the bicycle lane.
You're glorifying GSM...in some areas the bicycle gets you there fastest. GSM is more like an electric motorcycle, max 35 kmph.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
22586 posts
11414 upvotes
Toronto
I sense the carriers will continue to do exclusive deals with the likes of Samsung and others to distort competition. Has anyone ever tried to go to a carrier and ask them to sell a phone at the no contract price? This no contract price number is there to give impression the hardware is very expensive and not meant as a real selling price without a plan.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
34617 posts
8162 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
will888 wrote: I sense the carriers will continue to do exclusive deals with the likes of Samsung and others to distort competition. Has anyone ever tried to go to a carrier and ask them to sell a phone at the no contract price? This no contract price number is there to give impression the hardware is very expensive and not meant as a real selling price without a plan.
This is true for stores like Wireless Wave (Costco), but I've never had a problem at a Rogers corporate store. They won't hesitate to charge you full price for a flagship phone.

I've had problems at Best Buy as well. The flagship phones are constrained and these agents don't want to sell you a phone and make little or no profit. If you activate or upgrade a line and sign a 2 year term, then they have a commission they can bank.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15193 posts
13490 upvotes
Going to the Moon
will888 wrote: I sense the carriers will continue to do exclusive deals with the likes of Samsung and others to distort competition. Has anyone ever tried to go to a carrier and ask them to sell a phone at the no contract price? This no contract price number is there to give impression the hardware is very expensive and not meant as a real selling price without a plan.
Carriers have already been doing this, and it often back-stabs them. All carriers will offer flagships from Apple, Samsung and LG. They play exclusivity on other phones, after seeing them do well on at least one of the other carriers. If the exclusive phone flops, the manufacturer will be less inclined to sign exclusivity. Then the cycle continues.
Gee wrote:
This is true for stores like Wireless Wave (Costco), but I've never had a problem at a Rogers corporate store. They won't hesitate to charge you full price for a flagship phone.

I've had problems at Best Buy as well. The flagship phones are constrained and these agents don't want to sell you a phone and make little or no profit. If you activate or upgrade a line and sign a 2 year term, then they have a commission they can bank.
When you do a post-paid activation, the carrier gives much more. Activate on an AB number and cancel the service the next day to save on sales tax. Collect on activation (and sometimes upgrade) incentives. Refer friends. Accept the fact that retailers don't want to let phones go without a 2 yr agreement and play their game.

For BestBuy, the trick is to buy a gift card, then say that you got the gift card from their protection plan and you're there to buy a replacement phone.

At The Mobile Shop, you can buy a phone outright as long as you pay at least 50% in PC points.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
635 upvotes
NORTH YORK
titaniumtux wrote: When you do a post-paid activation, the carrier gives much more. Activate on an AB number and cancel the service the next day to save on sales tax. Collect on activation (and sometimes upgrade) incentives. Refer friends. Accept the fact that retailers don't want to let phones go without a 2 yr agreement and play their game.

For BestBuy, the trick is to buy a gift card, then say that you got the gift card from their protection plan and you're there to buy a replacement phone.

At The Mobile Shop, you can buy a phone outright as long as you pay at least 50% in PC points.
Sounds right. It will be for quite sometime before I bother with a flagship phone for which it is almost Can$1100 or above now.
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019