Shopping Discussion

Canada's Wonderland Update for 2020/2021 (Maybe reopening)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2021 4:40 pm
86 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14716 posts
27686 upvotes
Scarborough
Guess they decided not to extend the 2020 season as per their March update and allow people to use their 2020 season pass until the end of 2021. If they open this year, I don't know if I'd even want to go.
Last edited by TomRFD on Apr 15th, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited out incorrect info
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15868 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Bad year to be an Amusement Park

I don’t see Canada’s Wonderland being opened much in 2020 (if at all )

And even if it is ...

Not gonna be too many people going

Either cuz of their attitudes on safety
Or the thought of how Physical Distancing will impact their experience

Fewer people on site (LOWER Max Occupancy Rates)
And seemingly ENDLESS Line ups
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2088 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
TomRFD wrote: Guess they decided not to extend the 2020 season as per their March update and allow people to use their 2020 season pass for a portion of 2021 instead. I wish there was an option to just defer 2020 season passes to 2021. If they open this year, I don't know if I'd even want to go.
The 2020 pass and add on's are valid for this year and next year.
May 11, 2007
989 posts
731 upvotes
Kitchener
unfortunately, so many summer students jobs will be lost.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14716 posts
27686 upvotes
Scarborough
cardle wrote: The 2020 pass and add on's are valid for this year and next year.
Oh, I read that point wrong earlier then. That's pretty good because like I said before, I really don't think I want to go this year even if they do open up.
Jan 22, 2020
49 posts
26 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote: Bad year to be an Amusement Park

I don’t see Canada’s Wonderland being opened much in 2020 (if at all )

And even if it is ...

Not gonna be too many people going

Either cuz of their attitudes on safety
Or the thought of how Physical Distancing will impact their experience

Fewer people on site (LOWER Max Occupancy Rates)
And seemingly ENDLESS Line ups
Even with reduced staff capacity, don’t you think the lineups will actually be much lower if most people don’t show up?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15868 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
relyt2003 wrote: Even with reduced staff capacity, don’t you think the lineups will actually be much lower if most people don’t show up?
I dunno ...
Do you feel things are any better at Costco these days with the long line ups & lower capacity numbers at Costco / Grocery Stores

It’s the same sort of thing

If one chooses to go out & do stuff in this Covid era
(Once things open up )
It’s gonna be a different experience / world

With less capacity for EVERYTHING that is open

Line ups ... long line ups ... and waiting your turn is going to be the new norm

And even then no guarantee you will get what you came for (cut off numbers / short supply etc )
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
526 upvotes
relyt2003 wrote: Even with reduced staff capacity, don’t you think the lineups will actually be much lower if most people don’t show up?
They might seat fewer people on rides, so the lines will move more slowly.

Either way, I wouldn't want to be on a coaster behind screaming people. With the speeds they go at, you'll most certainly be inhaling their droplets
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2088 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
How are they going to manage the safety checks before each ride starts? Something that HAS to be done but something that is impossible with social distancing.

I just don't see them opening this year.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6163 posts
3227 upvotes
Mississauga
cardle wrote: I just don't see them opening this year.
I’m afraid that could very well be the case with Wonderland and all amusement parks.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11970 posts
8643 upvotes
GTA, ON
My feeling is they just won't open this year. The cost of operating the park with low park attendance will probably be a lot higher than just keeping the place closed and paying the property tax. Also, I imagine that no insurance company will want to cover them if they are sued because an outbreak occurs because of them.

People are stupid though, especially young people, who will probably show up anyways. You should look at the Disney sites and forums and how many people are planning to go back as soon as their parks open, and be damned if they get sick or not.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15967 posts
17206 upvotes
Oakville
chimaican wrote: My feeling is they just won't open this year. The cost of operating the park with low park attendance will probably be a lot higher than just keeping the place closed and paying the property tax. Also, I imagine that no insurance company will want to cover them if they are sued because an outbreak occurs because of them.

People are stupid though, especially young people, who will probably show up anyways. You should look at the Disney sites and forums and how many people are planning to go back as soon as their parks open, and be damned if they get sick or not.
Yup, lots of careless people will go. Just look at how busy Disney was the day before it shutdown.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14716 posts
27686 upvotes
Scarborough
chimaican wrote: My feeling is they just won't open this year. The cost of operating the park with low park attendance will probably be a lot higher than just keeping the place closed and paying the property tax. Also, I imagine that no insurance company will want to cover them if they are sued because an outbreak occurs because of them.

My thoughts exactly. They'll have to severely limit how many guests can enter the park and will also have to hire extra staff to try to get people to follow whatever physical distancing measures they'll have to put in place. It sounds like a nightmare to try to manage without even thinking about the costs of it all.

I follow the Disney parks chatter too and it is crazy. I know they're accepting reservations starting in early June at WDW but I can't even imagine going that soon. The earliest I'd consider going right now is summer 2021.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11970 posts
8643 upvotes
GTA, ON
TomRFD wrote: I follow the Disney parks chatter too and it is crazy. I know they're accepting reservations starting in early June at WDW but I can't even imagine going that soon. The earliest I'd consider going right now is summer 2021.
I'm thinking 2022 or after.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15967 posts
17206 upvotes
Oakville
TomRFD wrote: My thoughts exactly. They'll have to severely limit how many guests can enter the park and will also have to hire extra staff to try to get people to follow whatever physical distancing measures they'll have to put in place. It sounds like a nightmare to try to manage without even thinking about the costs of it all.

I follow the Disney parks chatter too and it is crazy. I know they're accepting reservations starting in early June at WDW but I can't even imagine going that soon. The earliest I'd consider going right now is summer 2021.
Maybe they hand out masks and wipes to everyone? It would be neat if they could do rapid antibody tests to only admit people who are now immune to it. Same goes for when vaccines are ready, it's going to take a long time to vaccinate everyone (or at least 70% of local population).
May 18, 2018
530 posts
453 upvotes
engineered wrote: Maybe they hand out masks and wipes to everyone? It would be neat if they could do rapid antibody tests to only admit people who are now immune to it. Same goes for when vaccines are ready, it's going to take a long time to vaccinate everyone (or at least 70% of local population).
They still can't confirm whether you're immune to it if you had it.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7010 posts
1362 upvotes
Scarborough
Its along and unknown thing about vaccine for viruses, humans still dont have any vaccines for virals.
Vaughan is gonna lose millions in revenue this year due to this mass fearmongering and shutdowns
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15868 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Re : Canada’s Wonderland vs Disney etc

I find for the most part Cdns are more likely to obey / follow Civil Obedience Orders ...
Ya know like moving to the left for Emergency Vehicles
These Covid Stay at Home Orders / Physical Distancing etc

Unlike some on RFD
I don’t see it as us Cdns being sheep who eat up everything the Govt tells us

But more a case of the average Cdn is better informed / educated
On how things work ... the WHYS ... consequences etc
Esp on world events than many other countries
Knowing that this isn’t like the yearly flu
Although it bears similarities to The Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918
That it’s more like SARS of 2003 (and yes most actually know what that was)
And it’s not the “Chinese Flu”
Or the “Boomer Remover”
Reading up & understanding that it’s primarily a respiratory pneumonia illness
That can effect someone of any age
And it can be deadly ... esp to those over 60
But can still be very serious ... even deadly for those under 60
Including those in their prime years 20 to 40

So most Cdns GET IT

Sure there are a few clueless slackers
Or the “eff that I will do as I please” types but for the most part most Cdns are truly engaged in this process
Of what I do is better for everyone in the community in the long run
(ie ... the world is not just about me)

I have studied social behaviours for a long time

And this community care seems to be something more prominent the colder a country is (Scandina seems to be similar)
So I think it goes back to our ancestors
And the knowledge that in the worst of times
We had to depend on one another to make it thru

Like a cold winter, or someone got sick, or someone died, and it was help out the neighbour ... or they died too
Knowing that “there but for the grace of god” ... or luck ... “go I “

And if the tables were turned ... we’d hope that someone would be looking out for us too

Somehow Covid is showing us a lot about our humanity
And it’s also clearly highlighting some things that seemingly set us apart from our US neighbours

Where everywhere I look here ... and who I talk to IRL or on the Net
Is concerned with how everyone is doing
Be it Cdns on a whole
Or their family members, friends, neighbours etc
And yes WE WISH the world would go back to how it was
We seem to be focussed on getting thru this
Not so much as quickly as possible
But as safely as possible

And there’s a lot of common sense here
In regards to timelines
With many understanding that in Wuhan, that the timeline was 12+ weeks until things truly turned around

This thread discussion is a primary example of that

Seems most Cdns are staying the course
And cautionary in their plans
Understanding that this whole pandemic will take time for us to get thru
That our greatest success is in stopping its search for a NEW host to infect ...

And with time ... there will be either a vaccine
Or enough of a herd immunity to keep the most of us safe

But even before that we need COMPREHENSIVE & FREQUENT EASE OF USE TESTING

Like I say WE GET IT
We GET THE SCIENCE
we GET THE SOCIOLOGY
we GET THE WHOLE IDEA OF PUBLIC HEALTH & SOCIAL MEDICINE

And ya as much as we might be intrigued by a summer visit to Wonderland
It seems to me, that most Cdns WITHOUT EVEN OFFICIAL BOUNDARIES YET IN PLACE
Are thinking that going there might not be the best idea EVEN IF IT DOES OPEN

Whereas our neighbours to the south
Who are on the same timeline as us in regards to infection & spread
All seem to be GUNG HO TO REOPEN
AND GET BACK TO THINGS AS THEY WERE

Most things I’ve heard / seen
There seems to be little thought to what might happen if they make that choice too soon

There’s so much talk of Disney, Cruises, the Beach
Travel abroad vacations, etc
It’s just mind boggling

And makes me very afraid that we’ll here in NA see a surge of second wave cases (worst than the first)
Like there was with the Spanish Flu
Cuz everyone will have set caution to the wind south of the border

Which is why I hope Canada keeps the borders closed for a long while

Otherwise the Community spread will get out of hand
Here too

We need to keep Cdns safe
We need to take this wait & see approach
And slow relaunch so that Cdns are safe both here at home & when they travel abroad too
(Cuz eventually they come back home too ...
Just look at the Covid Numbers in Quebec today ...
If you want proof. The most travelled Cdns are at close to 15,000 Cases & 500 Deaths )
Last edited by PointsHubby on Apr 15th, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15967 posts
17206 upvotes
Oakville
PanchoVilla wrote: They still can't confirm whether you're immune to it if you had it.
No, but most likely we will be, and at worst, it will be like the flu, where you have to get one every year.
apnayloags wrote: Its along and unknown thing about vaccine for viruses, humans still dont have any vaccines for virals.
Vaughan is gonna lose millions in revenue this year due to this mass fearmongering and shutdowns
Are you saying that vaccines don't exist? Or that they're fake? And are you suggesting that COVID is fake and this is "fear-mongering?
I think it's time for you to get a better tinfoil hat.