• Aug 8th, 2020 10:41 am
[OP]
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto

Canadian Citizen - Returning after TN - Business Systems Analyst

Hi,

I have ~5 years of experience working as an IT - Business Systems Analyst in the US. Due to CoVID-19, I was let go from my position, along with 3 other teammates of mine. Due to how the TN visa is structured, I had to leave everything, including loved ones, materials, and possessions, and move back to Canada within 60 days. The materials and posessions are salient, but being forced out of the US due to the CoVID-19 situation was the most difficult part, apart from having to leave family behind.

1. Went to High School in the US
2. Went to college in the US (Bachelor's in Finance, Minor in Management Information Systems)
3. Subsequently, after degree, began working as Business Systems Analyst
4. Began a Master's program (MBA - concentration in Project Management), taking a year break from working to complete my Master's
5. Completed Master's and began working again as a Business Systems Analyst for 2 consecutive years for the same company
6. Laid off due to CoVID and returned back home to Canada.

I have experience in a multitude of projects, from:
- ERP implementations/upgradations/support
- Focus on Payables, GL, Receivables modules
- Human Resource Information Systems (Automating Onboarding of new internal hires, Offboarding existing employees, Transitions within departments)
- Web App projects
- Report Generation using SQL/Oracle/Power BI/MS SQL/Others
- API fields requirements gathering
- Sales Commissions - Automated process to calculate commissions
- Creation and presentation of Summary and reports to reduce charges caused by Data Delay and other Performance Metrics failing (Telecom Industry)

It seems in Canada, most of the jobs revolve around Domain knowledge. However, with my background, I believe I am well suited to learn the intricacises and would be quickly adaptable to the Role, if hired. The problem seems to be getting my foot in the door! Any suggestions, advice, networking?

Thanks in advance,

Caeteris paribus, great to be back home in Canada!
11 replies
Sep 28, 2013
624 posts
300 upvotes
how is it possible you went to school and university there and worked there, not to mention built a family and still didn't get a green card? Very unfortunate, but welcome back either way. Canada will always accept you!
Oct 5, 2019
157 posts
147 upvotes
Why can’t you just get another job in the us and get a new TN with the new employer?
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2827 posts
219 upvotes
Which of the ERP package were you working with? SAP(hopefully), Oracle(not bad), or Dynamics(meh) or others...
Also, what role do you see yourself performing in the future...Sounds like you are not technical/developer type, more of a functional analyst/project manager.
Is that what you are looking at continuing or do you want to pursue other roles/industries?

With 5 years ERP experience, if I were you, I would look at either joining one of the Consulting firms that specializes in implementing these ERP packages like Deloitte, Accenture, PwC, E&Y, IBM, etc.... Or if you feel you have deep knowledge of the said ERP package, you can become an 'independent' consultant.
The supply of Finance ERP consultants are very high, G/L is a G/L, not much complexity around that, but HR consultants are in demand, consistently one of the highest paid Billable rates.

I won't go too much further into this area. If you think that is something you want to pursue, I can get more in depth with your questioning. The key is what ERP package you have experience with.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3724 posts
1743 upvotes
angrybanker wrote: how is it possible you went to school and university there and worked there, not to mention built a family and still didn't get a green card? Very unfortunate, but welcome back either way. Canada will always accept you!
That's the US of A!
I've met people who waited over 10 years and still no green card. Kept telling themselves "maybe next year is my year!"

OP - Your background would be best suited for banks/insurance, or consulting firms like TCS, Genpact. Sit tight and keep trying, job market is sluggish with covid and being summer time.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
As BHRM mentioned, that's America. It's quite circuitous and difficult to obtain citizenship in America legally. Thank you! It's a pleasure to be back, by all means.
[OP]
Jul 30, 2020
5 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Spot on! I would agree I am a functional BSA, with some technical skills (such as writing SQL queries). As far as ERPs, I worked primarily with Oracle (multiple projects). Also with Dynamics, but none directly with SAP.

You give me hope with mentions of HR Consultants being in high demand. In my last role, I was hired as an HR Business Systems Analyst (although I quickly transitioned into various other designations of BSA as needed) so I may be well suited for an HR Consultant role if my skills match the job description.

I have also worked as an interim project manager. Some of the other projects and areas I've worked on included:
1. Primary BA/Project Manager for divestiture of HR department
2. Salesforce - Fusion - primary BSA and point person for Disaster recovery and Business Plans
3. BA for creating Automed Forms for order creation (external client requests)
4. Responsible for end to end client integration across systems - data mapping, systems settings, etc.
5. ETL process for multiple batches and processes
6. Lots and lots of analyzing systems and requirements to create UML diagrams including data flow, swim lane, activity, etc.

Thanks for your feedback and guidance!
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2827 posts
219 upvotes
Osharm wrote: Spot on! I would agree I am a functional BSA, with some technical skills (such as writing SQL queries). As far as ERPs, I worked primarily with Oracle (multiple projects). Also with Dynamics, but none directly with SAP.

You give me hope with mentions of HR Consultants being in high demand. In my last role, I was hired as an HR Business Systems Analyst (although I quickly transitioned into various other designations of BSA as needed) so I may be well suited for an HR Consultant role if my skills match the job description.

I have also worked as an interim project manager. Some of the other projects and areas I've worked on included:
1. Primary BA/Project Manager for divestiture of HR department
2. Salesforce - Fusion - primary BSA and point person for Disaster recovery and Business Plans
3. BA for creating Automed Forms for order creation (external client requests)
4. Responsible for end to end client integration across systems - data mapping, systems settings, etc.
5. ETL process for multiple batches and processes
6. Lots and lots of analyzing systems and requirements to create UML diagrams including data flow, swim lane, activity, etc.

Thanks for your feedback and guidance!
Your skill-set should be in high demand, even in the crazy times like this. The consulting market experienced a slowdown like all industries from March through May, but we are seeing a major ramp up since June, lots of activities on both sides of the border.

With respect to the Oracle ERP, were you working on E-Biz, JD Edwards, Peoplesoft or Netsuite? Unfortunately, they are all tier 1/2 ERP systems that are owned by Oracle, but have varying demands currently. Also, the HR systems you have experience with, is it part of those Oracle core system, or their Oracle Cloud HR solution? Oracle has been pushing their customers towards migrating to the cloud based HR.

My suggestion would be to start applying to the big 4+ consulting firms in the ERP implementation space(Deloitte, PwC, E&Y, Accenture and IBM), skip KPMG, they have not been a player since the BearingPoint debacle. Also would skip those sweatshop(Indian started) type firms like TCA and Wipro. Not racial, but they structure their deals so tight, that the consultants are worked like a dog for less compensation, reason why they have to rely on the subcontract market. The big 4's are cutthroat but offer somewhat of a decent training program and exit opportunities.
With your background, you should be able to join as a Senior Consultant level, and very quickly get promoted to a manager level, if you can demonstrate your project management skills and sales/proposal skills.
Also, don't just look into the Canadian offices of these consulting firms to apply, look at the US/International offices as well. Its common for US firms to hire CDN consultants, and have them on a TN visa and travel back and forth weekly.

That is certainly one route for your situation, another one is if you are fairly confident in your skillset and experience, you can also try to see if you can get some project contracts as an independent consultant to one of these firms or smaller firms. Benefit of being independent is the compensation will be much higher and you don't have to worry about helping with firm's sales activities and other administrative BS. An example, a typical Oracle indy consultant may get $120-130 a hour, versus a similar level consultant that works for the big 4+ firm will maybe make $100-150K a year. You can do the math there.

If I were in your situation, I would probably start with the big 4+ consulting firm, get a few more years of experience under your belt. Then see if there is a path for you to be promoted to Partner in the long term. If you don't see a path, or if that is something you are not interested in. Partner track is less about project delivery and more about project/revenue generation. Then you can look into the independent consulting market or join a company in the industry. A lot more exit opportunities.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6568 posts
1134 upvotes
Scarborough
Reapply to jobs in usa, etc
Wages are low here
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5411 posts
1486 upvotes
Ottawa
craigslist123 wrote: apply for CERB first.
If he's been living / paying taxes in the US, I suspect he won't qualify for CERB.

For the OP, it's probably too late now as it sounds like you are back in Canada already but instead of rushing back to Canada within 60 days, you should have applied for a change of status (to visitor) by mail. If nothing else, as soon as you apply for a change of status, you could have stayed in the US pending the response and the reality is that it would have probably taken an easy 3 months or more to process it and you could have taken your time to move back and / or look for a job while in the US.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
7883 posts
1044 upvotes
TO
Osharm wrote: As BHRM mentioned, that's America. It's quite circuitous and difficult to obtain citizenship in America legally. Thank you! It's a pleasure to be back, by all means.
OP, I knew someone personally who was in this situation but they lucked out and the company applied for their status in States and they just got pm in the past year. Will pM you sometime today on some info.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent