• Apr 9th, 2016 12:06 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 19, 2016
117 posts
14 upvotes

Canadian ETF/Mutual Fund that pays dividends

Currently, all of my money is in blue chip stocks that having been paying dividends for at least 50+ years. The stocks have been really good in that even though the stocks went down up to 50% in the 2008 recession, these stocks kept paying dividends. I do recognize however that past performance doesn't mean that this will continue into the future.

What I'd like to do is diversify into ETFs or mutual funds.

Would anyone know of Canadian ETFs that actually pay a dividend? Do any exist? I'm looking for an ETF such as the one that I described that invests in blue chip stocks as this is my retirement fund.

Thank you
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
6767 posts
3695 upvotes
Vancouver
Well most of the ETFs will probably hold shares in the same blue chip stocks that you already own. Why not just keep the stocks you have?
[OP]
Jan 19, 2016
117 posts
14 upvotes
Jermyzy wrote: Well most of the ETFs will probably hold shares in the same blue chip stocks that you already own. Why not just keep the stocks you have?
I'd rather not keep the individual stocks because if the stock fails, the retirement fund is gone. With the ETF, the fund should invest across the spectrum and reallocate as necessary without me having to make decisions.
Oct 11, 2010
977 posts
323 upvotes
Charlottetown
check out the mawer balanced fund MAW104. It is well diversified and pays monthly dividends & has a low MER

most etfs will pay dividends based on some of the underlying stocks within. There are also some specific ETF's that target high dividend yeild such as VDY, ZDV etc.
Dec 25, 2012
93 posts
5 upvotes
Montr
jfall wrote: check out the mawer balanced fund MAW104. It is well diversified and pays monthly dividends & has a low MER

most etfs will pay dividends based on some of the underlying stocks within. There are also some specific ETF's that target high dividend yeild such as VDY, ZDV etc.
Does MAW104 pay monthly dividends? I have owned some for more than 3 months but never seen monthly dividends?
Jul 13, 2009
818 posts
115 upvotes
Forgot which ones, but when I was looking for dividend ETFs, most include ROC (return of capital) in their yield calculations.
That could be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Regarding your stocks, if you diversified, it'll end up being the same thing as a dividend ETF. The only difference would be the MER.
Cell plans - anything more than $10/gb is a ripoff.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27407 posts
3896 upvotes
Montreal
Don't waste too much effort on this. A dividend ETFs, blue chip stocks, mutual funds and broad based CAnadian equity ETFs, all essentially end up holding the same stocks, with slightly different weighting. The canadian market is too small.