Canadian Flea and Farmers Markets

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 22nd, 2020 12:40 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2008
471 posts
191 upvotes

Canadian Flea and Farmers Markets

I know my timing is lousy on this, as summer is nearly over. I was just curious to know if people here enjoy going to flea and farmer's markets or do you feel like it's usually a giant disappointment?

On Saturday I went to a place called Aberfoyle flea market for their Saturday special day, where they have 100+ extra vendors. it has to be one of the largest flea markets in Canada.

That being said, it was terrible. It costs 8 dollars just to enter. The only flea market that I've ever been to that had an entry fee. Maybe a buck or 2 for parking, but not 8 dollars. It's kind of ridiculous to pay to go into a place where the only thing you can do is shop. It reminded me a bit of a convention, but at convention there's usually some free stuff and unique stuff you can't easily find. There was also a lineup 100 people deep.

The flea market was a waste of time. No bargains to be found. Usual type of stuff but very overpriced. Worse than Ebay prices. I saw very few people walking around with items or bags.

My favorite place to go flea picking as I call it is a smaller market up north called the Elmvale flea and farmer's market. It's not nearly as big but the vendors are more friendly and their prices are generally more reasonable. I've found some nice bargains up there. As a side note, it's close to a zoo and to Wasaga beach. So you can spend a pretty good day trip around there.

The farmer's market aspect of these places sometimes annoy me. Sometimes the prices of their fruits and veggies are higher than a grocery store! How can that be if there's no retail markup? Plus there's a million flies and bees all around and sometimes the produce is not even that fresh. It's a big letdown.
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8974 posts
10383 upvotes
Vancouver
The Vancouver Flea Market is decent. Admission $2.50. Lots of junk, for sure, but I usually find something interesting when I go. I avoid farmer's markets. Sometimes they have direct-from-farm stuff, but a great lot of it is just supermarket stuff bought from the wholesaler, and marked up way beyond retail. Watch out especially for the "rustic heirloom" carrots and such, which are the same thing sold as "naturally imperfect" at No Frills, for like 5x the price.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13077 posts
2174 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I am not interested in flea markets. Would rather search online.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12511 posts
1975 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Kiraly wrote: The Vancouver Flea Market is decent. Admission $2.50.
Did the price go up? It was $1.50 when I went a month ago.

I finally went out to the Cloverdale Flea Market earlier this summer. Only the outdoor part was open. It was pretty good, more or less the same type of stuff as the Vancouver Flea, but different ratio. They seemed to have less stuff for collectors, but that may have been because the indoor part was closed.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8974 posts
10383 upvotes
Vancouver
rabbit wrote: Did the price go up? It was $1.50 when I went a month ago.

I finally went out to the Cloverdale Flea Market earlier this summer. Only the outdoor part was open. It was pretty good, more or less the same type of stuff as the Vancouver Flea, but different ratio. They seemed to have less stuff for collectors, but that may have been because the indoor part was closed.
You are right...it is $1.50. Note to self: Read the actual web page instead of just the bit of info that comes with Google search results.
Jan 29, 2017
59 posts
40 upvotes
I used to go to the flea market at Dixie Value Mall. There used to be some great treasures to be had. Found so many LJN WWF figures for hubby's collection, but since eBay, it's ridiculous. And the number of vendors was down the last time I was there, which admittedly was around five years ago, so it could have changed. But I doubt it.