Canadian Flea and Farmers Markets

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2022 2:11 am
[OP]
Dec 26, 2008
949 posts
564 upvotes

Canadian Flea and Farmers Markets

I know my timing is lousy on this, as summer is nearly over. I was just curious to know if people here enjoy going to flea and farmer's markets or do you feel like it's usually a giant disappointment?

On Saturday I went to a place called Aberfoyle flea market for their Saturday special day, where they have 100+ extra vendors. it has to be one of the largest flea markets in Canada.

That being said, it was terrible. It costs 8 dollars just to enter. The only flea market that I've ever been to that had an entry fee. Maybe a buck or 2 for parking, but not 8 dollars. It's kind of ridiculous to pay to go into a place where the only thing you can do is shop. It reminded me a bit of a convention, but at convention there's usually some free stuff and unique stuff you can't easily find. There was also a lineup 100 people deep.

The flea market was a waste of time. No bargains to be found. Usual type of stuff but very overpriced. Worse than Ebay prices. I saw very few people walking around with items or bags.

My favorite place to go flea picking as I call it is a smaller market up north called the Elmvale flea and farmer's market. It's not nearly as big but the vendors are more friendly and their prices are generally more reasonable. I've found some nice bargains up there. As a side note, it's close to a zoo and to Wasaga beach. So you can spend a pretty good day trip around there.

The farmer's market aspect of these places sometimes annoy me. Sometimes the prices of their fruits and veggies are higher than a grocery store! How can that be if there's no retail markup? Plus there's a million flies and bees all around and sometimes the produce is not even that fresh. It's a big letdown.
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15308 posts
20658 upvotes
Vancouver
The Vancouver Flea Market is decent. Admission $2.50. Lots of junk, for sure, but I usually find something interesting when I go. I avoid farmer's markets. Sometimes they have direct-from-farm stuff, but a great lot of it is just supermarket stuff bought from the wholesaler, and marked up way beyond retail. Watch out especially for the "rustic heirloom" carrots and such, which are the same thing sold as "naturally imperfect" at No Frills, for like 5x the price.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2504 upvotes
I am not interested in flea markets. Would rather search online.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14270 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Kiraly wrote: The Vancouver Flea Market is decent. Admission $2.50.
Did the price go up? It was $1.50 when I went a month ago.

I finally went out to the Cloverdale Flea Market earlier this summer. Only the outdoor part was open. It was pretty good, more or less the same type of stuff as the Vancouver Flea, but different ratio. They seemed to have less stuff for collectors, but that may have been because the indoor part was closed.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15308 posts
20658 upvotes
Vancouver
rabbit wrote: Did the price go up? It was $1.50 when I went a month ago.

I finally went out to the Cloverdale Flea Market earlier this summer. Only the outdoor part was open. It was pretty good, more or less the same type of stuff as the Vancouver Flea, but different ratio. They seemed to have less stuff for collectors, but that may have been because the indoor part was closed.
You are right...it is $1.50. Note to self: Read the actual web page instead of just the bit of info that comes with Google search results.
Jan 29, 2017
170 posts
138 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I used to go to the flea market at Dixie Value Mall. There used to be some great treasures to be had. Found so many LJN WWF figures for hubby's collection, but since eBay, it's ridiculous. And the number of vendors was down the last time I was there, which admittedly was around five years ago, so it could have changed. But I doubt it.
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2007
1676 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if any of these antique / flea markets have reopened or when they may be opening?

Prudhomme's Antique Flea market
Freelton Antique Market
Aberfoyle Antique Market
Christie Antique Vintage Show
Mizerner's Antique and More Market
St. Jacobs Market Road Antiques
One of a Kind Antique Mall
Roadshow 400 Antiques Mall
Antiques on Highway 48
Cookstown Antique Market
Collins Bay Flea Market, Kingston
Gore Street Antique Flea Market, en route to Ottawa

Any others within 2 hours of Toronto? Any around Vancouver, Ottawa, and Montreal work for me as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9116 posts
2802 upvotes
Collins Bay Flea Market, Kingston is open thurs-sun, I doubt there is any deal to be had though. I noticed the owner is a member of the kingston anti vaccine, anti mask facebook group
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
99bimmer wrote: Does anyone know if any of these antique / flea markets have reopened or when they may be opening?

Prudhomme's Antique Flea market
Freelton Antique Market
Aberfoyle Antique Market
Christie Antique Vintage Show
Mizerner's Antique and More Market
St. Jacobs Market Road Antiques
One of a Kind Antique Mall
Roadshow 400 Antiques Mall
Antiques on Highway 48
Cookstown Antique Market
Collins Bay Flea Market, Kingston
Gore Street Antique Flea Market, en route to Ottawa

Any others within 2 hours of Toronto? Any around Vancouver, Ottawa, and Montreal work for me as well.
Should have started a new thread instead of bumping this one for your question.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Nov 30, 2018
230 posts
235 upvotes
Went to a local farm last week and they sold produce.. higher prices than grocery.. preying upon the uninformed..ridiculous
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15308 posts
20658 upvotes
Vancouver
luvdeals1 wrote: Went to a local farm last week and they sold produce.. higher prices than grocery.. preying upon the uninformed..ridiculous
People pay higher prices at the farmer's malarkey† for the shopping experience. Much like people are willing to pay higher prices for the same product at Whole Foods rather than at No Frills, or pair of designer eyeglasses from the downtown optical boutique rather than the same pair at Costco.
† "malarkey" was an actual autocorrect suggestion when I was trying to type "market" just now. It was so good that I decided to leave it in lol.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22839 posts
21678 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: People pay higher prices at the farmer's malarkey† for the shopping experience. Much like people are willing to pay higher prices for the same product at Whole Foods rather than at No Frills, or pair of designer eyeglasses from the downtown optical boutique rather than the same pair at Costco.
† "malarkey" was an actual autocorrect suggestion when I was trying to type "market" just now. It was so good that I decided to leave it in lol.
This …

GOOD & CHEAP rarely meet on the same turf *

When in season, I would definitely prefer paying a bit more at a Farmers Market vs the Grocery Store
Esp as Grocery Store Produce is usually picked WEEKS before vs days / same day

* And if you want truly great FRESH PRODUCE … then you might have to put in the work to pick your own
That usually is the sweet spot where Good & Cheap do meet
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4483 posts
1034 upvotes
Richmond
PointsHubby wrote: This …

GOOD & CHEAP rarely meet on the same turf *

When in season, I would definitely prefer paying a bit more at a Farmers Market vs the Grocery Store
Esp as Grocery Store Produce is usually picked WEEKS before vs days / same day

* And if you want truly great FRESH PRODUCE … then you might have to put in the work to pick your own
That usually is the sweet spot where Good & Cheap do meet
depends on what kind of grocery store. Some farms have a store front.
I have a local asian supermarket that is a farmers market in the summer. Most of the veggies they sell around then are local. Cheap and local. Rest of the year, it's imported from a wholesaler and expensive. If they say local, yep they've grown it themselves. Think I've found not quite up to specs on the vine tomatoes for sale once. Seemed to be smaller than usual
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
4141 posts
2924 upvotes
Montreal
Wasn't there an CBC investigation on farmer's market, that most vendors are fake farmers who buy their stock at the same wholeseller as grocery store?
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22839 posts
21678 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jzmtl wrote: Wasn't there an CBC investigation on farmer's market, that most vendors are fake farmers who buy their stock at the same wholeseller as grocery store?
Ya that’s a pretty common scam if you go to a Farmers Market in say a big city area *
(esp … The Centre of the Universe … as CBC Marketplace is very Toronto centric )
It’s less of an issue if you actually live in the countryside outside of big cities where the products are actually grown

Lots of smaller rural Farmers Markets
And Farmers Gate Stands … where the farmers are actually selling their own grown fruits & veggies

Personally, we like checking out both of those options
But we also like Pick Your Own Places even more
But … you got to have the time to do it … and realize that FRESH Produce is on Mother Nature’s Schedule
So things aren’t always gonna be available when you are
Cuz well to everything … there is a season

Pick Your Own Ontario = https://www.pickyourown.org/CNON.htm

* NOTE - Some cities are taking measures to stop fakers at their Farmers Markets
By passing bylaws that they must indeed be local farmers, grow the items they sell, or label otherwise to inform their Customers