Computers & Electronics

Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) Canadian Shield - Free DNS-based privacy and cybersecurity protection

• Last Updated:
  • May 1st, 2020 1:49 am
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C

Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA) Canadian Shield - Free DNS-based privacy and cybersecurity protection

I recently switched from my isp dns server to the CIRA Canadian Shield DNS server.
Found this service from on article published on https://business.financialpost.com/

Press Release: CIRA launches Canadian Shield to provide free privacy and security to Canadians online Service to include first global deployment of a national DNS over HTTPS protocol
CIRA Canadian Shield
Protect against theft of personal and financial data
Keep viruses, ransomware, and other malware out of your home
Built by Canadians for Canadians

CIRA Canadian Shield Overview

Free enterprise-grade protection for all Canadians
Canadian households are under attack by malware and phishing, and family members aren't always equipped with the knowledge they need to avoid malicious content.

So where can Canadians look for the same level of protection that large corporations have enjoyed for years without having to worry about their data being sold to advertisers? How about a Canadian non-profit that is dedicated to building a better online Canada?

How CIRA Canadian Shield works

Configuration Guide

Benefits

Frequently Asked Questions

Has anyone else tried this service out?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15777 posts
2379 upvotes
Soichiro wrote: Has anyone else tried this service out?
Just configured it. Seems to be working properly. DoH is a nice feature.

Looks like they're using Teksavvy DNS servers.

cira-tsi.tor.teksavvy.com

cira-tsi.tor2.teksavvy.com
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Banned
Dec 28, 2019
1021 posts
645 upvotes
I recently switched from my isp dns server to the CIRA Canadian Shield DNS server.
Does it affect browsing speed? I tried other dns server before, very slow.
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
JAC wrote: Just configured it. Seems to be working properly. DoH is a nice feature.

Looks like they're using Teksavvy DNS servers.

cira-tsi.tor.teksavvy.com

cira-tsi.tor2.teksavvy.com
CIRA DNS servers are hosted in TekSavvy data centres.

"CIRA has also partnered with TekSavvy to deploy four Canadian Shield nodes into TekSavvy data centres in Toronto (2), Montreal and Vancouver."
from https://www.cira.ca/newsroom/canadian-s ... -canadians
[OP]
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
558 upvotes
M1C
calvados.boualrd wrote: Any benefit to this over Quad9?
idnk, never used Quad9

Sgtalpowell wrote: Does it affect browsing speed? I tried other dns server before, very slow.
Webpages seem to load a little faster now, compared to my isp dns servers
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5925 posts
6121 upvotes
Toronto
Dunno, with CIRA's idiotic .ca ad campaign, I doubt I'd trust them with anything like this. Throw TekSavvy into the mix and it's a definite nope for me.
As someone long prepared for the occasion, in full command of every plan you wrecked---
Do not choose a coward's explanation, that hides behind the cause and the effect...
Aug 26, 2003
306 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been using it and it's worked well for me so far. It blocked me from accessing a known phishing site, something I haven't seen using OpenDNS.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35518 posts
21568 upvotes
Center of Universe
dowzer wrote: I've been using it and it's worked well for me so far. It blocked me from accessing a known phishing site, something I haven't seen using OpenDNS.
What's the site?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15085 posts
2994 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
meemo wrote: Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 is also privacy focused and currently the fastest dns resolver: https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers

Not sure about the other security features cira seems to provide
Cloudflare is not the fastest. Specially on Rogers cable network. Run your own tests. OpenDNS keeps coming up as faster over google and cloudflare
Aug 26, 2003
306 posts
59 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: What's the site?
Unfortunately I don't remember. It was from a spam e-mail which I deleted last week.
Oct 21, 2009
761 posts
669 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Cloudflare is not the fastest. Specially on Rogers cable network. Run your own tests. OpenDNS keeps coming up as faster over google and cloudflare
Probably one off, but it is considered as the fastest worldwide
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15085 posts
2994 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
meemo wrote: Probably one off, but it is considered as the fastest worldwide
Only from earlier benchmarks. Check yourself.