Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Canadian ISP "Switch" selling IPTV $12.95 a month (1 device, Cloud pvr, must* be ISP customer?) down from $17.95 CAD.

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2021 3:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10232 posts
3145 upvotes
Montreal

Canadian ISP "Switch" selling IPTV $12.95 a month (1 device, Cloud pvr, must* be ISP customer?) down from $17.95 CAD.

Deal Link:
Price:
$12.95
I have made this edit to this post here after all the posts saying it is some illegal IPTV service, they are registered with the CRTC as a legal ISP in Canada:

They are a Canadian ISP and this is a LEGAL IPTV service as you must be their Internet customer to get this deal*.
I highly doubt an Canadian Internet Provider that uses "the big three" Internet lines would be STUPID ENOUGH to sell illegal IPTV and get sued out of business/cut off from buying Internet lines from them!!!

You must be a Switch.ca internet customer to get this price. * Edit: Some people have managed to sign up without using their Internet services, it may be missing channels if you are not in their Internet. See first post on page 3 canadian-isp-switch-selling-iptv-12-95- ... 2434128/3/

I have never heard of this Canadian ISP company (but they are a CRTC registered Canadian ISP https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/telecom ... ation-list search for "Switch" and go to the bottom of the first page) , the website says they sell home and business Internet and IPTV according to their website.

Also includes a cloud PVR at this price! Switch OTT comes standard with the PVR function built-in. Each account has 10GB of space made available for your can't-miss episodes and occasions, translating to between 5-7 hours of run-time recording. Just make sure you set the recording up in advance, because for the PVR to work, it must be set up before the event begins.

Channel Line up (CNN is even included): https://shop.switch.ca/pages/channel-line-up
Edit December 31st the Food Network icon has vanished from their website after the initial post I made, which sucks big time for me.

Monthly fee plus taxes:
$12.95 for one device
$16.95 for two devices
$21.95 for three devices

Switch.ca Internet prices (you must be a customer to get the $12.95 IPTV deal):
$49.99 25 Mbps Unlimited DSL

Compare to Virgin Internet:
$45 25 Mbps Unlimited DSL

So if you do the math, the $5 off a month for the IPTV makes their Internet price the same as Virgin Internet and you get a pretty cheap IPTV service compared to other ISP that also offer IPTV.
Last edited by yuprules on Dec 31st, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 46 times in total.
Thread Summary
Features
🗸 App Access - Available for download on multiple devices
🗸 Web Access - Watch your TV on any internet browser
🗸 Navigation - All the features you'd expect from your cable provider
🗸 PVR - Record up to 10GB of programming (approx. 6 hours)
🗸 Catchup TV - View your favorite programs 48 hours after airing
🗸 User Profiles - Unique profiles for the whole family
🗸 Favorites - Save your favourite channels for easy access
🗸 One price - New channels added each month for the same low price

Switch OTT Terms of Service

https://shop.switch.ca/policies/terms-of-service
105 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2126 posts
1557 upvotes
Probably legal. 120 channels are not that big.

If you are setting up IPTV why not just go get illegal for cheaper and more channels?
Sep 24, 2020
15 posts
15 upvotes
Nice!. Anybody using this service?. Reviews?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10232 posts
3145 upvotes
Montreal
jurassic98 wrote: IS this even legal to post?
It "seems" legit, but it seems WAY too cheap. It's a Canadian ISP company, not some Android Chinese TV box using Kodi. Hence my "too good to be true" as a disclaimer.

I've edited my submit to say they are a Canadian ISP.
Last edited by yuprules on Dec 30th, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 12, 2007
658 posts
396 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like a legit provider however:

You need their internet for the service:

FAQ:

Do I need an Internet connection?
Yes. In order to receive service you will require an internet connection from Switch for our IPTV service. Use of the Switch OTT mobile app may be subject to data usage charges from your internet provider.
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
Obviously illegal just by their channel list

Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10232 posts
3145 upvotes
Montreal
stephroll wrote: Obviously illegal just by their channel list

It seems legit, you must be their Internet customer and they are an ISP. The more I read, the more it seems legit.

If they were NOT an ISP, I'd call "illegal IPTV".
Last edited by yuprules on Dec 30th, 2020 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 27, 2018
127 posts
166 upvotes
Coquitlam
Can someone recommend a reliable provider?
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
stephroll wrote: Obviously illegal just by their channel list
Why would registered in Canada telecommunications company have an illegal service?

from https://shop.switch.ca/pages/about-us

Switch delivers more of what you want, for less than you thought was possible. Switch OTT is Live TV, Anywhere. We are driven to give our customers more choice, better service, and better prices. We are a local Edmonton based company owned by Canadians, trying to make a difference for Canadians and we need your help. Like, share, follow, and spread the word so we can grow and work to get you more content, better service, and help fuel the shift to a new generation of entertainment in Canada. We are a registered Canadian telecommunications company.

from https://shop.switch.ca/pages/about-us

List of Registered Telecommunications Providers
This list contains all of the telecommunications providers that have registered with the CRTC.
https://applications.crtc.gc.ca/telecom ... ation-list
Destiny is all
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2019
1551 posts
1718 upvotes
This is similar to what Telus does in general. You need to have Internet to have TV service with Telus. Their TV terminal plugs directly into their modem and there isn't a separate service line that goes into the TV terminal. So if you don't have Internet, you don't have TV -- just like IP telephone service. No internet, no telephone service.
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
9652 posts
10924 upvotes
Vancouver
It is perfectly legal for ISPs to offer IPTV as long as they follow the CRTC rule that they must also provide the internet service. This is a legacy rule left over from cable TV days.

Many of the TPIAs (3rd party ISPs) resell the underlying services of a few big wholesale internet providers (outfits like Cipherkey). Those wholesalers also offer IPTV with access to all the channels available in Canada just like the cable TV services. But they can't offer IPTV direct to consumer because of the CRTC rule - it can only be offered through the retail ISP providing the internet service.

This is a great price. Often the ISPs are charging $20/month or more now for this type of IPTV, and forcing you to buy or rent their Android box as well.
Deal Expert
Jan 10, 2008
15200 posts
35260 upvotes
Nation's capital
So you need their internet service or ? Confusing to say the least because they want a shipping address for what would be a service provided through internet ?
Mar 28, 2016
460 posts
199 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta, Ca…
Is this live TV only? Does it have PVR function?
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10232 posts
3145 upvotes
Montreal
Scote64 wrote: It is perfectly legal for ISPs to offer IPTV as long as they follow the CRTC rule that they must also provide the internet service. This is a legacy rule left over from cable TV days.

Many of the TPIAs (3rd party ISPs) resell the underlying services of a few big wholesale internet providers (outfits like Cipherkey). Those wholesalers also offer IPTV with access to all the channels available in Canada just like the cable TV services. But they can't offer IPTV direct to consumer because of the CRTC rule - it can only be offered through the retail ISP providing the internet service.

This is a great price. Often the ISPs are charging $20/month or more now for this type of IPTV, and forcing you to buy or rent their Android box as well.
Thank you for not calling me out as a illegal service LOL. I had to make so many edits with CRTC links showing they are a LEGAL ISP in Canada after everyone is calling it some illegal Android TV box IPTV service.

I guess that's why RiverTV costs so much (No internet required, priced like a Streaming service).
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
kr8zyduke wrote: Is this live TV only? Does it have PVR function?
Read the Features list Winking Face

from https://shop.switch.ca/

Features
🗸 App Access - Available for download on multiple devices
🗸 Web Access - Watch your TV on any internet browser
🗸 Navigation - All the features you'd expect from your cable provider
🗸 PVR - Record up to 10GB of programming (approx. 6 hours)
🗸 Catchup TV - View your favorite programs 48 hours after airing
🗸 User Profiles - Unique profiles for the whole family
🗸 Favorites - Save your favourite channels for easy access
🗸 One price - New channels added each month for the same low price
Destiny is all
Dec 27, 2018
127 posts
166 upvotes
Coquitlam
Is there any reliable service u guys can recommend? I am with Shaw and would need to pay for IPTV separately.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2002
8187 posts
9554 upvotes
Vancouver
Live TV Anywhere.
*Your Switch OTT package includes access to our mobile app, as well as Home Zero Internet and IPTV. Channel lineups may be different between the Switch OTT mobile app and IPTV, and is subject to change at any time.

What is Home Zero Internet?

They say the service is available across Canada.. but they're an Alberta ISP?

Ron.
100% Upvote to post ratio! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2013
2234 posts
731 upvotes
Toronto
What are their internet plan options if you must be a customer to get their IPTV?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)