• Aug 22nd, 2016 5:33 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA

Canadian police call for access to internet passwords

Canadian police chiefs called for the government to adopt a law that could force a person to reveal an online encryption key or password in the interests of public safety.
from https://www.yahoo.com/news/canadian-pol ... 17686.html
Ottawa (AFP) - Canadian police chiefs on Tuesday called for the government to adopt a law that could force a person to reveal an online encryption key or password in the interests of public safety.

The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police adopted the resolution at an annual meeting in Ottawa, citing the technological and legal challenges of obtaining digital evidence while protecting individual liberty.

In a statement, the CACP said it "urges the government of Canada, for the purpose of community safety, to identify a legislative means for public safety agencies inclusive of law enforcement, through judicial authorization, to compel the holder of an encryption key or password to reveal it to law enforcement."

Though the previous conservative government adopted in May 2015 a controversial anti-terrorism law allowing unusual control of the internet, a person still cannot be forced to reveal a password.

The Canadian supreme court in June 2014 ruled that anonymity on the internet is a right and that police must have a legal order to demand that internet service providers release information on certain customers.

The government of liberal Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not immediately comment on the police chiefs' request. Before he was elected, Trudeau had worked to amend the anti-terrorist law.
31 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17587 posts
2874 upvotes
Toronto
See, shit like this is exactly why fingerprint IDs and all other forms of biometric security are a bad idea. They're asking out in the open for the ability to toss you in jail eternally for actually wanting some things about your life to remain private. Does anyone with a fingerprint lock on their phone think cops won't just press their hands to the phone by force to unlock it?
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16513 posts
1541 upvotes
Thornhill
The police should just click "forgot my password", then provide the name of the guy's elementary school teacher, the name of his first pet and first car, then click "reset password".
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9963 posts
1350 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:16 am
The police should just click "forgot my password", then provide the name of the guy's elementary school teacher, the name of his first pet and first car, then click "reset password".
Won't work if the answers are just a random bunch of letters and numbers, that's what I do at least. It makes it almost impossible at that point to guess it.

I'm all for this law in the case of if someone is suspected of being a terrorist or something like that, if I was randomly told to provide my password as a law abiding citizen then i would have a problem with this law.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16513 posts
1541 upvotes
Thornhill
XtremeModder wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:30 am
t3359 wrote:
Won't work if the answers are just a random bunch of letters and numbers, that's what I do at least. It makes it almost impossible at that point to guess it.
Lol.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
9963 posts
1350 upvotes
Toronto
t3359 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:50 am
XtremeModder wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:30 am
t3359 wrote:
Lol.

bjl
not sure what 'bjl' means? In all seriousness though all those 'secret question' things that come up, I put random letters/numbers and copy/paste them into a spreadsheet, which is then put in a bitlocker encrypted hdd on my pc so just in case I ever need to recover a forgotten password I just go and look for it. This is honestly likely the safest way, unless the hdd is 'unlocked' and my computer is infected with some type of trojan/malware and somehow finds that file.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7694 posts
1343 upvotes
Yes, lets give the police access to everything. They're not busy enough being indicted for corruption or sent to jail for murder, god knows they cant seem to stay out of the papers for any longer than a couple of days max.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2016
1035 posts
252 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 6:08 am
Yes, lets give the police access to everything. They're not busy enough being indicted for corruption or sent to jail for murder, god knows they cant seem to stay out of the papers for any longer than a couple of days max.
Canadian police =/= American police.
Not even in the same league
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3287 posts
525 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
Sparky9087 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 6:32 am
Buggy166 wrote:
Tell that to my Native family members. Also, there is a HUGE disparity between the amount of media outlets in the USA compared to the same 3-5 media companies up here that own EVERYTHING from print, to internet, to television. Extrememly easy to just not report on things or have "news" stories just disappear.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7694 posts
1343 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:
Buggy166 wrote:
Americans? I dont read americans newspapers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7694 posts
1343 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:
Buggy166 wrote:
Americans? Its a Canadian topic, on a Canadian forum. :/
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2016
1035 posts
252 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 6:42 am
Sparky9087 wrote:
Buggy166 wrote:
Americans? Its a Canadian topic, on a Canadian forum. :/
Yea but american police systematic corruption is reported on canadian news.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2008
5754 posts
471 upvotes
Sparky9087 wrote:
Buggy166 wrote:
Power corrupts, absolutely power corrupts absolutely. It's the universal truth.

Not sure how this can be enforced. "I forgot" seems to be a perfect defense against it. I need to reset password half of the time I access something.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15899 posts
5166 upvotes
legal challenges of obtaining digital evidence while protecting individual liberty
Individual liberty was sold a long time ago, this is simply a new power grab.
Fool us once shame on you, fool us daily shame on us.
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2221 posts
588 upvotes
Toronto
This is lazy ass policing. Why don't we all give them DNA samples. I mean, no way police are corrupt nor do they plant/ falsify evidence to get a conviction in Canada ... oh wait.