63 upvotes

Crank/Solar Powered Flashlight with Siren and Radio

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
20%
Retailer:
Canadian Red Cross
I was looking for something like this for our boat, and the zombie apocalypse.

Use promo code CRCFOOTBALL for an additional 30% off.

There is a shipping charge of $14. I am not sure how much of a purchase it would cost to defray that, but anyway, this flashlight looks like a really, really great deal. The promo code almost takes care of the shipping cost. I ordered two flashlights.
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2300 posts
2855 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
For a little bit more in price this offers more function.

https://etoncorp.com/products/american-red-cross-frx2

Receives AM/FM radio
All 7 NOAA/Environment Canada weather band radio stations
1000mAh internal Li-ion battery
USB smartphone charger
Hand turbine for recharging without access to power
Solar panel for recharging
Bright, long lasting 3-LED flashlight
Glow-in-the-Dark locator
DC power input with the included mini-USB cable
Headphone output

Dimensions

5.4" x 2.5" x 2.5" (H x W x D)
13.7 x 6.35 x 6.35 cm (H x W x D)
Weight: 0.56 lbs (0.25 kg)

AM radio is still important IMHO (speaking from Toronto, AM680 News ) and it has a 1Ah (1Ah @ 3.7v but your phone uses 5v USB) battery so approx 700mAh @ 5V or about 1/5th of a modern big battery smartphone which is good for texts/quick call.

Protip: If you're low on battery and stranded or lost Trying to make a call uses up more power if the cell signals are weak. You are better off sending a text message with as much info in the area you are lost in as it will use less battery. (Tip source: Survivorman (AKA Les Stroud) on Youtube with his new show out a few weeks ago)

EDIT:

Can't remember exactly where it was that I heard him say that.

Also might be a good idea to have a small AA/AAA flashlight with a spare battery instead of using the cellphone as a flashlight. A whistle, ANY whistle is better then the best one on the market. It is louder and travels longer to signal for help. Keep one on your body (around the neck) and maybe have a backup on your backpack or bag.

EDIT2:

You can find a lot of basic outdoor gear at Dollarama or free if you look around/and or ask around.

1. Small folding knife (liner lock) is $4.00

2. Lighter for like $1.00 or free if you look around the ground for one that may have a little fuel left or if empty you can use it for making sparks. You can get lint from the dryer (or laundromat) and put a little in a sandwich bag and put a little vasaline on it. If the lighter is empty but can still spark it can ignite the dry lint with a couple sparks. Just rip and fluff the lint a bit for more surface area for the spark to hit. The vasaline will extend your burn time by a couple minutes. You can also extend it more with fuct tape or natural materials like fatwood or pine resin. You could also ask a smoker for one as well when they are running low and about to buy a new one.

3. Whistle and/or whisle match bottle to hold matches

4. Small flashlight

5. Water bottle.

6. Mylar space blanket

7. IIRC 2Ah USB battery charger for $4

8. Matches.

In summer you are less likely to worry about freezing to death (altho most cases of hypothermia are reported in the summer as I've been told) so you have more time to try something like a lighter with no fuel to spark lint while you wait for rescue. However in winter pending the temps you may not have that level of finger dexterity and a match and/or 2 lighters will help and may save you to keep you warm. I'm all for using a ferro rod on flash tinder or tinder in -20C and I've done it before but sometimes the winds are blowing and you only get about 30-40 seconds of time before your fingers need 6-10mins of warm up before they are good for trying again.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Dec 29, 2004
82 posts
38 upvotes
Markham
Just beware that price on Eton's site is in USD.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
954 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
FM radio frequencies being line-of-sight means short range in hilly terrain. The USA model also has AM which is a must-have during a wide scale disaster.

I've never found a crank radio with metal gears, they're usually plastic and don't stand up to vigorous cranking.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
954 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
The American Red Cross version is available now from Amazon.ca for $38.03 (Prime free shipping) Reviews: 4.5 stars

https://www.amazon.ca/Eton-Turbine-Weat ... b_title_ce

or this one for $34, which seems similar, possibly identical.

https://www.amazon.ca/Eton-Turbine-Weat ... VSC49KWYTA
Last edited by RSole on May 31st, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2300 posts
2855 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
RSole wrote: The American Red Cross version is available now from Amazon.ca for $38.03 (Prime free shipping) Reviews: 4.5 stars

https://www.amazon.ca/Eton-Turbine-Weat ... b_title_ce
Lowest price is $36.31 so not that bad in price.
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
954 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
The $34 one from Amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/Eton-Turbine-Weat ... VSC49KWYTA

has a small solar panel (probably takes a week to charge the battery) and is WHITE which is a very good thing. If left baking in the sun to recharge, the darker the plastic, the hotter it'll get.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2009
1323 posts
954 upvotes
39.0392° N, 125.7625…
NFRX2WXW and ARCFRX2WXW are the two model numbers of the Amazon.ca ones. I'm not sure what the differences are. The more expensive one shows: "battery included:lithium" whereas the cheaper one does not seem to mention what type of battery is needed or included. Swappable Nimh might be better, no?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
1593 posts
222 upvotes
Lévis
The problem with that kind of radio is the battery tend to die after a while.
Also, I agree shipping pretty much kill the deal. Where did you see it's 14$ shipping? At checkout? Because their shipping cost information is hard to find.

Oh, and remember to filter reviews on amazon with fakespot...
Last edited by SPARTACVS on May 31st, 2020 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pourquoi pas?
Mar 5, 2012
307 posts
77 upvotes
Canada
SPARTACVS wrote: The problem with that kind of radio is the battery tend to die after a while.

Oh, and remember to filter reviews on amazon with fakespot...
Never head of Fakespot. Thanks!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20930 posts
2275 upvotes
Toronto
this is pretty nifty - don't really need it but all this COVID pandemic is making me thinking eventually the zombie apocalypse will hit us...............and this nifty handcrank radio will be useful!

I should probably start planning in the event of a zombie apocalypse - what is my game plan.....
Mar 4, 2015
20 posts
12 upvotes
Longueuil, QC
I had a crank powered flashlight in my car, then 10 years later I needed it and took it out of the trunk to discover that it wouldn't hold a charge. I broke it to see what's inside and it was a pair of NiCad. Today I think lithium won't last more than 5 years.