• Oct 27th, 2020 7:47 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1069 posts
484 upvotes
GTA

Canadian Rockies open for travel yet?

I'm planning a short getaway with the family to the Rockies on the Alberta side. Can any Albertans chime in on here if the parks are open yet?
I was thinking going first week of July but I can postpone to last week of July if more things will open up.

How about accomodation and restaurants in the area, are they opening up yet too?
144 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
14635 posts
11851 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
https://www.banfflakelouise.com/travel-information

Covid is going to have long lasting effects until there is a vaccine ... so things are not going to be as easy as they were BEFORE COVID

The National Parks are busy every summer ... with capacity restrictions this summer ... unfortunately they’ll be welcoming LESS Travellers than ever before. So expect line ups, waits, traffic ... AND SADLY ... DISAPPOINTMENT

Personally, I would be putting off such a trip for awhile longer.

Maybe September, if the kids go back to school then. Might be a better choice.
Esp so if this is a FIRST VISIT to the Rockies for anyone in your entourage
Feb 14, 2008
99 posts
79 upvotes
Calgary
Lots of things are open (hiking trails, restaurants, accomodations) but lots of things are still closed and may or may not open this summer (Moraine Lake Road, etc).

Purely from the perspective of avoiding the usual crowds from the US and further abroad, and getting amazing deals on accommodation (like 2 for 1 at Fairmont hotels as an example), there is no better time that you could come.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1249 posts
608 upvotes
Montreal
I am almost considering pulling the trigger on that Fairmont 2-for-1 at BSH, JPL or CLL

Very tempting just to see the beautiful scenery even if everything else is closed
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1069 posts
484 upvotes
GTA
admiralackbar wrote: I am almost considering pulling the trigger on that Fairmont 2-for-1 at BSH, JPL or CLL

Very tempting just to see the beautiful scenery even if everything else is closed
I checked prices for Fairmont Banff Springs and LL end of July. It comes up to $423 per night, so $423 for 2 nights after bogo free?

Is this considered a hot deal? Back in the day, I remember staying at HI Jasper Hostel for $20/night. This would definitely be an upgrade.

Accommodations prices seem decent for summer season. I’m getting like $480-$500 for flights from yyz. Is this decent too? Atm, its cheaper to go to YVR, but I really want to take advantage of the lack of international visitors to the Cdn Rockies this summer.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2011
1249 posts
608 upvotes
Montreal
Didi_beee wrote: I checked prices for Fairmont Banff Springs and LL end of July. It comes up to $423 per night, so $423 for 2 nights after bogo free?

Is this considered a hot deal? Back in the day, I remember staying at HI Jasper Hostel for $20/night. This would definitely be an upgrade.

Accommodations prices seem decent for summer season. I’m getting like $480-$500 for flights from yyz. Is this decent too? Atm, its cheaper to go to YVR, but I really want to take advantage of the lack of international visitors to the Cdn Rockies this summer.
This hotel usually goes for $600-800/night in summer peak season, yes it is still super expensive. Will probably not pull trigger having thought about it a little more ;)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5635 posts
2813 upvotes
Mississauga
We did two nights at the Banff Springs Hotel last summer and while it was pricey, I've never experienced that level of service before.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16577 posts
6706 upvotes
Yes, the national parks are open.

Yes, hotels and restaurants are open. They are however adhering to different capacity limits. There was an update to the relaunch strategy that allowed great capacity in restaurants last week in Alberta? Very recent.

I think for the beginning or end of July you will be fine given cases and such are not extreme. The wild card is whether it will be overly busy from Calgarians doing day trips because they cannot travel elsewhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4350 upvotes
Alberta
admiralackbar wrote: This hotel usually goes for $600-800/night in summer peak season, yes it is still super expensive. Will probably not pull trigger having thought about it a little more ;)
Too expensive for me. We always stay at Tunnel Mountain Chalets or Banff Park Lodge. The later is right downtown so you can just walk everywhere. An even cheaper option is to stay in Canmore just outside the park.
Feb 14, 2008
99 posts
79 upvotes
Calgary
Didi_beee wrote: I checked prices for Fairmont Banff Springs and LL end of July. It comes up to $423 per night, so $423 for 2 nights after bogo free?

Yes it is a hot deal, but that's already been mentioned. But of course if it's out of your budget there are tons of other places you can stay - there are plenty of wayyyy cheaper options that would normally be booked up all summer a year in advance. Around 500 from YYZ is about as cheap as it gets in recent years. You could get it for less than 400 if you were willing to take crappy flight times.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1947 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
We are tentatively thinking about going to Banff but I have a couple of questions:

1. As we would have to be wearing a mask flying for a long time we wouldn't go to Banff straight away. Does 2 nights Calgary, 4 nights Banff sound about right? May also have to think about a night somewhere else coming back as the mask wearing would be an issue.

2. Bears. I have read a little about this and am a bit worried about seeing them. What is the reality of this happening (on walking trails)?

3, Walking trails - are there many that are pretty flat? Also is there access to toilets on them?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1069 posts
484 upvotes
GTA
cardle wrote: We are tentatively thinking about going to Banff but I have a couple of questions:

1. As we would have to be wearing a mask flying for a long time we wouldn't go to Banff straight away. Does 2 nights Calgary, 4 nights Banff sound about right? May also have to think about a night somewhere else coming back as the mask wearing would be an issue.

2. Bears. I have read a little about this and am a bit worried about seeing them. What is the reality of this happening (on walking trails)?

3, Walking trails - are there many that are pretty flat? Also is there access to toilets on them?
Why would you not go to Banff right away? Your profile says Toronto so flying time is only 4hrs. I’m going to stay in Calgary just for a night since I have young kids and I think Drumheller is a must for them. After that, we’ll do 2 nights in Banff and 2 nights in Lake Louise. Its really just a short getaway for us.

I wish we had more time to do Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Golden, Dino PP and GNP... another time I hope. I did these in 2010 and 2011 sans children so much adjustments needed to consider their needs.

You don’t have to worry about bears, the chances of seeing one is extremely low. You can get a bearbell to warn them you are near so they can avoid you.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7957 posts
4350 upvotes
Alberta
We’ve gone to Banff and Jasper a lot and only once did I see a black bear and it was in Jasper on the road to Mt Edith Cavell. You’ll be lucky just to see one.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1947 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
Didi_beee wrote: Why would you not go to Banff right away? Your profile says Toronto so flying time is only 4hrs. I’m going to stay in Calgary just for a night since I have young kids and I think Drumheller is a must for them. After that, we’ll do 2 nights in Banff and 2 nights in Lake Louise. Its really just a short getaway for us.

I wish we had more time to do Jasper, Yoho, Kootenay, Golden, Dino PP and GNP... another time I hope. I did these in 2010 and 2011 sans children so much adjustments needed to consider their needs.

You don’t have to worry about bears, the chances of seeing one is extremely low. You can get a bearbell to warn them you are near so they can avoid you.
I've only started to look at this today, so this really is all new to me.

We do want to stay in Calgary a couple of days and that can be done either at the end or beginning of the trip and we would get the bus to Banff so that would be more time to have to wear the mask. Ideally we just want to stay in two places as it is a short trip so it would be Calgary and Banff for now.

I just hope that it will happen.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
1947 posts
549 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote: We’ve gone to Banff and Jasper a lot and only once did I see a black bear and it was in Jasper on the road to Mt Edith Cavell. You’ll be lucky just to see one.
I don't mind seeing one as long as I am in some kind of transport Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes