Shopping Discussion

Are Canadian Stores desperately trying to go bankrupt?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec

Are Canadian Stores desperately trying to go bankrupt?

I'm about to order a bunch of books from Indigo today rather than give the business to amazon.

So what do I get after spending the time to select the books and entering all the shipping info:
Delivered on Jan 16, 2018 Due to Holiday order volume, both your estimated shipment and delivery date are longer than normal.
Are they off their rocker?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2176 posts
293 upvotes
They are going bankrupt by selling so much stuff during peak season?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2011
6162 posts
1338 upvotes
They might just be communicating the expected delays by couriers as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4207 posts
406 upvotes
Could be that most of the books are in stock but 1 is backordered but expected back in stock, since they probably ship it all at once
I am a Koodo customer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
peanutz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:24 pm
They might just be communicating the expected delays by couriers as well.
I assume you're kidding!

I ordered a hard drive from Best Buy on Thursday, that's last Thursday, the one just passed - and the item arrived today.

I think the problem with Indigo is that the items are not actually in stock even though they claim they are - so they have to order them from the supplier first rather than just ship them out.
How else would they possibly quote me a date about 6 weeks out.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5313 posts
2950 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Stats are not out yet...

BUT let’s face it Shopping On-Line is getting bigger every year...

Think back to what Christmas Shopping & Malls looked like 10 years ago... wall to wall people and 100s of semi trailers that had stocked up the stores in that mall in in preparation for the onslaught of Christmas Shoppers

Now a good many people do some or even ALL of their Christmas Shopping online.

Where it used to be you & I shuttling goods home from the stores at the mall... today a good lot of that happens c/o Local Delivery Services - Couriers - and the Post Office

The glut of packages end up inside a Service that i don’t think has changed a whole lot in decades... and certainly not significantly enough to handle the Christmas Delivery Rush that exists today vs 20 years ago.

And come January 1st... demand dies right back to normal levels (albeit the new normal for the 20-teens) for another 10 months.

So from a business model, it is therefore tough to justify an investment to handle maximum load, when that load might last around 60 Days out of an entire year

Hence the backload... and the backlash against both the Delivery world and the Retailer’s who use them

After all... Tis’ the Season
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1421 posts
255 upvotes
Ontario
I ve had the same thing on Amazon for books and not during the Christmas rush.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1512 posts
542 upvotes
Tokyo
Indigo needs to offshore more of its operations and eliminate local jobs so that we can have cheaper and more efficient services.

No worries OP, Canadians are letting Amazon and Wal-mart eat the canadian stores' lunches.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
28850 posts
2098 upvotes
Winnipeg
get ebooks next time
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Gee wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 11:49 pm
How long is the shipping from Amazon?
Well, took me a while to find all these items and then I also compared prices with amazon.com to see who is cheaper.

After all was said and done, ordered same books (+DVDs at amazon) that I wanted to order at Indigo - delivery date quoted is Dec 13, 2017 - so even with a delay, well in time for Christmas.

And I must say - being in the industrial software business myself - amazon's shop software is a pleasure to use - very simple, intuitive and quick.
I wish all retailers had polished software like that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
divx wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:34 am
get ebooks next time
Most of my family doesn't like ebooks.
There are nine in the family, all have tried and have a few ebooks but only one is really into ebooks - the others prefer hard copy.
Besides- about half of what I ordered is not available as ebooks.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2610 posts
1431 upvotes
Vancouver
Online shipping is getting slower due to more traffic every year. My prime orders from amazon (fulfilled by them aka shipped from canada) have ETAs for this wednesday, friday, and next monday. All orders were made last week no later than thursday morning. Wednesday eta is for an order made nov. 27... Might not seem like a long time but prime shipping was suppose to be 2 days.

Its even worst for china shipping since there are posts about shipment taking 2-6 months... (tho my orders that shipped from asia generally arrive 60-75 days this year with a few arriving just after 30).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
PointsHubby wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:09 am
Stats are not out yet...

BUT let’s face it Shopping On-Line is getting bigger every year...

Think back to what Christmas Shopping & Malls looked like 10 years ago... wall to wall people and 100s of semi trailers that had stocked up the stores in that mall in in preparation for the onslaught of Christmas Shoppers

Now a good many people do some or even ALL of their Christmas Shopping online.

Where it used to be you & I shuttling goods home from the stores at the mall... today a good lot of that happens c/o Local Delivery Services - Couriers - and the Post Office

The glut of packages end up inside a Service that i don’t think has changed a whole lot in decades... and certainly not significantly enough to handle the Christmas Delivery Rush that exists today vs 20 years ago.

And come January 1st... demand dies right back to normal levels (albeit the new normal for the 20-teens) for another 10 months.

So from a business model, it is therefore tough to justify an investment to handle maximum load, when that load might last around 60 Days out of an entire year

Hence the backload... and the backlash against both the Delivery world and the Retailer’s who use them

After all... Tis’ the Season
I don't think there really is a backlog - at least not on the delivery end and to the degree Indigo is suggesting.

I ordered a hard drive from Best Buy last Thursday - arrived today, Monday
Ordered a 55-inch TV from Dell on Black Friday - it also arrived in about a week or so - would have beed sooner if Purolator hadn't screwed around calling me for a delivery date.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4259 posts
455 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Paigne wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:46 am
Online shipping is getting slower due to more traffic every year. My prime orders from amazon (fulfilled by them aka shipped from canada) have ETAs for this wednesday, friday, and next monday. All orders were made last week no later than thursday morning. Wednesday eta is for an order made nov. 27... Might not seem like a long time but prime shipping was suppose to be 2 days.
I tried prime last year - found it was useless
If my amazon.ca order shows up as promised, it would have taken 6 business days.

I also ordered from amazon.com today for delivery within the US - same interval - delivery up to Dec 14 but could be a quick as the 9th - they provide a range of dates.