Food & Drink

Locked: Are Canadian tap water safe to drink?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2016 10:54 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 13, 2014
155 posts
69 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Are Canadian tap water safe to drink?

My water bottle filter just broke and Canadian Tire discontinued with the filter and I'm wondering if it safe to drink tap water, especially in Toronto area.
Share:
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9647 posts
2061 upvotes
Edmonton
No, I died from drinking it
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4679 posts
7003 upvotes
Ontario
egoignaxio wrote: My water bottle filter just broke and Canadian Tire discontinued with the filter and I'm wondering if it safe to drink tap water, especially in Toronto area.
Toronto tap water is fine. Not aware of any area of the city where the water is an issue except on high algae counts in Lake Ontario days.
2021-Be more colourful and generous.😎
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
867 upvotes
Define safe....will it give you diphtheria? No...Will it contribute to you developing some type of cancer and dying prematurely? Probably
Sep 30, 2007
545 posts
127 upvotes
I've heard it's very toxic! That's why so few people live in the GTA.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
9 upvotes
Tap water results can be found for your area, Mind you the results will be from a lab where only a less determinable analysis will be performed.
PPM results will be given.
PPB results will be omitted. These ppb test are what the public are kept in the dark about.
Great Lakes water supply is about the worst source you would want to consume, cook with, shower in etc.
Temp. Banned
Apr 6, 2016
277 posts
9 upvotes
oicthat2013 wrote: hmm
If your complacent without the ability of survivor skills flouride may have effected you
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16823 posts
9605 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
There were studies done that most water 'filtered' by products like Brita actually came out worse in terms of bacteria counts as the bacteria starts to grow in the filter and people don't notice or replace it soon enough.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
3552 posts
712 upvotes
egoignaxio wrote: My water bottle filter just broke and Canadian Tire discontinued with the filter and I'm wondering if it safe to drink tap water, especially in Toronto area.
Generally fine, but if you have young kids and/or live in an older neighbourhood, you should get your water tested for lead - something boiling your water or using a regular jug filter won't remove...
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2015
2200 posts
823 upvotes
Kleinburg, ON.
Toronto is 3rd world country, if you have drank its tap water I suggest you get checked out for parasites immediately. I drank some everyday and now I have weird voices in my head....
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20775 posts
4895 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I have been drinking tap water ever since I can feed myself. No problems. Stop listening to marketing hype.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9600 posts
1854 upvotes
Toronto
Some people but very few do get adverse effects from drinking tap water in Ontario.

One case I know is woman, doctor said it was the major cause of her bladder infections and recommended bottled water.

She bought those big bottles of water from the supermarket.

Not sure if the distilled one or not.

I drink tap water and have not drank bottled water in over year.

Feel fine.

If there is any problem with the water in Ontario, my guess would be algal bloom in summer as the cause.

I also know some people get skin reactions when sea water bathing in water with algal bloom.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18872 posts
6909 upvotes
Toronto
No only $10 bottled water is safe to drink.
Sep 27, 2003
10455 posts
2873 upvotes
Newmarket
I think we get the point.
RFD Forums Moderator