• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2019 2:54 pm
[OP]
Nov 28, 2011
337 posts
372 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL

[Canadian Tire] $10 Single tube 48" T8 Florescent Fixture

With LEDS taking over these T8 are clearning.

A bunch of singles at the Hwy Richmond hill, Red Maple store today.

They also have doubles for $27
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/fluo ... p.html#srp
Images
  • thumbnail_IMG_4256.jpg
7 replies
Apr 12, 2013
354 posts
201 upvotes
BC
Even at $10 I'd give it a miss: zero reason to install fixtures that are inefficient and toxic anymore (ballasts are an environmental nightmare).
[OP]
Nov 28, 2011
337 posts
372 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Kindly explain.
How is the electronic ballast in this more toxic then the electronics your typical LED bulb ?
I'm actually putting in T8 LED tubes.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
AndrewBond wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 1:02 am
(ballasts are an environmental nightmare).
Hehe, really? You might want to research what's in a modern "ballast", because your information is 50 years out of date.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
AndrewBond wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 1:02 am
Even at $10 I'd give it a miss: zero reason to install fixtures that are inefficient and toxic anymore
You do understand that the fixture is compatible with LED tubes, right?

So, buy this fixture, use it till the tube is done (probably several years), then put an LED tube in.

Just because LEDs exist doesn't make these things junk. While not as efficient as LEDs, T8 florescents are actually not too bad. While LEDs are roughly 2X better (18W vs 32W), in a home environment you have to consider duty cycle.

If this is a fixture that's on 24/7, yes, LED is the way to go. Over the course of the year the LED fixture will be:

(32W-18W) = 14W * 24h * 365 days = 122.6 kWh * $0.2/kWh = $24/year savings (note I'm assuming average $0.2/kWh, it might be lower, it might be higher).

However, in MOST consumer applications, a flourescent fixure is only on a few hours a day, say in a kitchen from sundown to people going to bed.

Say 6h/day, in which case your savings are: $24/(24h/6h) = $6/year

All of a sudden the savings aren't as obvious.

Just because something is old doesn't make it junk. DO THE MATH, and make your choice that way, instead of letting emotion drive your life.

Remember, these fixtures have been made, buying one doesn't change anything.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
3336 posts
2832 upvotes
badger11 wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 8:28 am
Kindly explain.
How is the electronic ballast in this more toxic then the electronics your typical LED bulb ?
I'm actually putting in T8 LED tubes.
In the old old days of ancient magnetic ballasts they actually used pretty nasty stuff, as was the case with most of 'transformer' based tech.

But that was a LONG time ago. Modern 'ballasts' resemble in many ways standard electronic power supply circuitry. It is no better and no worse then your phone charger.

OP is thinking of something that was an issue half a century ago.
Apr 12, 2013
354 posts
201 upvotes
BC
Well damn me Repatch, you're right! PCB ballasts were outlawed in 1980. Weirdly our landfill still demands they all go into hazardous waste so I wrongly assumed they were still toxic.

You should see what's in a street lamp, they are really nasty! Had to find a way to dispose of 2500 of them....

Given 4ft LED lights are often selling for $10-15 at crappy tire, I still don't see the sense in buying florescent fixtures, but that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to choice.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15624 posts
5851 upvotes
AndrewBond wrote:
Jun 16th, 2019 12:31 pm
Given 4ft LED lights are often selling for $10-15 at crappy tire, I still don't see the sense in buying florescent fixtures, but that's my opinion and everyone is entitled to choice.
One difference could be in the 4ft LED lights are integrated and the bulb is not replaceable. Some people may prefer to ability to change out the bulb; not only if it dies but also if they want a colour change.

I'm not sure this is the best solution myself but I can definitely see some use cases where you want a swap-able bulb versus changing out the entire fixture.