• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2020 1:05 pm
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1843 posts
335 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
This looks nice, one thing I'm curious about is cartridge replacements. With Moen you just go to home Depot and they give you one for free.

Is there something similar for Pfister?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7682 posts
969 upvotes
Waterloo
errational wrote: This looks nice, one thing I'm curious about is cartridge replacements. With Moen you just go to home Depot and they give you one for free.

I actually bought a Moen set and nothing but trouble my bottom tap is currently leaking and hasn't even been six months old and spend almost double than this price
Dec 16, 2013
114 posts
90 upvotes
sassysue wrote: I actually bought a Moen set and nothing but trouble my bottom tap is currently leaking and hasn't even been six months old and spend almost double than this price
But how does the cartridge part work? Same as moen or gotta buy them?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3447 posts
2049 upvotes
London
errational wrote: This looks nice, one thing I'm curious about is cartridge replacements. With Moen you just go to home Depot and they give you one for free.

alot of times if u just call the company and complain they will just mail it to u for free
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1292 posts
2836 upvotes

What cartridge are you all talking about?
(I never replaced a "cartridge" in my shower xD)
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3354 posts
3406 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Nuckles wrote: But how does the cartridge part work? Same as moen or gotta buy them?
13 years ago, I remodelled my bathroom and used all pfister stuff. Including bath/shower kit, hand shower, diverter valves, faucets, etc...

They've been pretty solid over the years, but a few small little issue. The handheld shower (after 13 years) has the little plastic nbs that the water comes through have hardened and some have broken off. Nothing major, mostly cosmetic. The pull knob on the tub spout had the little knob pull off (threads stripped). I could have probably just epoxied it back into place and would not show. And the diverter valve started being a little tight, so I pulled out the cartridge to lube the o-rings, and it helped quite a bit, but I noticed a small crack on one side (no side effect however).
I took pictures of everything, and sent them an email this past Tuesday. Well on Thursday, they wrote back and apologized for the inconvenience (which was nice, considering they are 13 year old fixtures), and they have ordered me a new tub spout, new cartridge and new hand shower end piece. No hassles, no second questions. Was pretty impressed.

I have never tried getting this stuff at homedepot, so can't say about that. In this case, other than the cartridge, the other stuff is so old that homedepot would not have any. Even at the time I installed them, I had to special order the diverter valve and it's associated trim.

Even Moen is not bad. Since I'm on vacation I'm catching up on all these warranty requests.. My kitchen faucet (17+ yrs old) has also been leaking slightly so I emailed them some pics. Turns out it is not the cartridge on this case, it is the main brass block that is leaking (at the pipe exit). So they offered to send me a complete new faucet replacement. I asked for a better model (instead of a basic pull-out, a newer pull-down version) if possible. And they agreed, for a small upgrade fee (quite reasonable - less than the cost difference between the 2 at homedepot). Pleased with their service also. It is longer to deal with Moen however. Takes a week between replies.

Overall, I think most big companies (Pfister, Moen, Delta, etc..) are pretty good with warranty claims. 3 years ago, Delta sent me 2 brand new bathroom faucets for old 25+yr old faucets which were installed by previous owner.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2016
1292 posts
2836 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: The bits inside a tap that wear are often combined into a single, cheap and easily replaced "cartridge" so the tap as a whole can effectively last forever.

https://www.google.ca/search?tbm=isch&q ... ge+diagram
Damn I must have hit a jackpot when I built my house ~25 years ago. I never had to replace any parts of any of my faucets!
Last edited by Admin on Jul 32th, 2027 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Oct 17, 2020
130 posts
482 upvotes
Looks nasty imo, but if you click around on the stores near you, I've seen one as low as $89.93