Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] 20% off various roof & cargo boxes (Thule, SportRack)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 26th, 2018 2:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3885 posts
2382 upvotes
Toronto

[Canadian Tire] 20% off various roof & cargo boxes (Thule, SportRack)

Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 26th, 2018 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited title
6 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2008
1033 posts
465 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for sharing OP! I'm on the fence about getting the Thule Convoy Large box. While it is on sale, it is a Canadian Tire sale, so the original price is way inflated. Essentially the same box sells at Racks for Cars for $619.99 regularly, making CT's price only $60 cheaper which makes the deal only warm.

Anybody have personal experience with this model, or have other recommendations on similar sized boxes? Looking to throw it on 3rd gen Highlander with factory bars.
Banned
Mar 2, 2017
93 posts
15 upvotes
canukeneh wrote: Thanks for sharing OP! I'm on the fence about getting the Thule Convoy Large box. While it is on sale, it is a Canadian Tire sale, so the original price is way inflated. Essentially the same box sells at Racks for Cars for $619.99 regularly, making CT's price only $60 cheaper which makes the deal only warm.

Anybody have personal experience with this model, or have other recommendations on similar sized boxes? Looking to throw it on 3rd gen Highlander with factory bars.
$60 cheaper is still 10% cheaper on a box that is still pretty hard to find on sale. Plus going to Canadian Tire and actually checking it out is much better than ordering online only to find something you don't like about it and have to ship it back to return.

Not sure what the difference is between Thule Convoy/Pulse/Force is though. I'm guessing Convoy may be the cheaper one with slightly cheaper materials?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13260 posts
7021 upvotes
Southern Ontario
canukeneh wrote: Thanks for sharing OP! I'm on the fence about getting the Thule Convoy Large box. While it is on sale, it is a Canadian Tire sale, so the original price is way inflated. Essentially the same box sells at Racks for Cars for $619.99 regularly, making CT's price only $60 cheaper which makes the deal only warm.

I have one on a Lexus RX, the composite is lighter than Sport-rack which makes it easier to mount/remove/store. Just turn 4 clamps inside around your roof bars. Having good width means you can access it with less reach than narrower torpedoes. Drove it to NJ and back, quiet. My friend has one for his Benz SUV and has Mercedes branding sticker on it but it’s a Thule.

This sale at CT 20% comes around about quarterly, I’ve never seen it go lower.

I see that you mentioned Highlander factory bars, you might want to double check if the clamps fit around them. I use Thule square bars.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3885 posts
2382 upvotes
Toronto

LOL only $60 cheaper? This is RFD, remember!

Thule boxes rarely go this low even with CT's inflated pricing. Not sure why you'd want to pay $619.99 on the web vs getting it locally anyways.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3885 posts
2382 upvotes
Toronto
meateater5000 wrote: $60 cheaper is still 10% cheaper on a box that is still pretty hard to find on sale. Plus going to Canadian Tire and actually checking it out is much better than ordering online only to find something you don't like about it and have to ship it back to return.

Not sure what the difference is between Thule Convoy/Pulse/Force is though. I'm guessing Convoy may be the cheaper one with slightly cheaper materials?
I actually have the Thule Convoy and it's no different than the Pulse. I believe "Convoy" is just a term used by CT that they can exclusively use to sell the same product under their brand name. The code on the Convoy box (TH615) is the same code for the Pulse.

The Thule Force is a different story - I believe that is a newer model which I looked at that too, but it is $710 on Amazon.ca for the 16 cu ft equivalent:

https://www.amazon.ca/Thule-624-force-C ... B00R8KAXPW
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2006
3885 posts
2382 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote: I have one on a Lexus RX, the composite is lighter than Sport-rack which makes it easier to mount/remove/store. Just turn 4 clamps inside around your roof bars. Having good width means you can access it with less reach than narrower torpedoes. Drove it to NJ and back, quiet. My friend has one for his Benz SUV and has Mercedes branding sticker on it but it’s a Thule.

This sale at CT 20% comes around about quarterly, I’ve never seen it go lower.

I see that you mentioned Highlander factory bars, you might want to double check if the clamps fit around them. I use Thule square bars.
I looked at the SportRack as well, and the clamping system to mount to the crossbars is different than the Thule, which is brain dead easy. The only annoying thing with the Thule is the lock mechanism which is very delicate, so if you're not careful, you can actually break the key inside the lock. The box has to be firmly closed on all sides and flush before the lock engages properly.

I also figured the residual on re-sale would be better long-term for the Thule vs SportRack, as Thule and Yakima are top of the food chain when it comes to these types of products.