Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] $49.99 Mastercraft 7.5A Impact Wrench, 1/2-in

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 8:13 pm
Mar 25, 2006
105 posts
20 upvotes
Good for tire changes but that's about it.

For other car work I would look elsewhere and consider cordless. I bought this years ago and just did tire changes. Over the years, my car got older and I gradually started to do more and more work (brakes, engine mounts, suspension - end links, bushings, LCA, shocks, struts). I don't have a lift so I'm under the car and its tight for space. The mastercraft is a beast...its heavy and long. You need both hands to hold this thing steady in tight or awkward places. Sometimes its just too big to get at the bolt.

I finally got a cordless ridgid impact wrench and it is so much lighter and smaller and just as powerful (if not more). I could operate it with ease with one hand. I'll be giving the mastercraft to my brother in law.

If you see yourself doing more car work, skip this and put the money into a cordless impact wrench.

EDIT: as others have said, the mastercraft is still doable to use for other car work. My ridgid was 4 times the price but its probably one of my most used item now in the garage and I love it cause it saves me so much time. My ridgid also has an auto setting for tightening so it stops when tightening so that you can finished the job with a torque wrench.
Dec 7, 2013
35 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
Bought this wrench at the same price 4 years ago. Definitely strong enough for most rusted or slightly seized lug nuts. It is big and heavy and requires 2 hand to use.
I've used it rotating seasonal tires for 2 cars over 4 years without any issue.

Definitely worth it at this price if you are someone who just plans on doing your own tire rotations or whatnot.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
3223 posts
447 upvotes
Hamilton
I bought the 8A maximum one, great for the tires but I was trying to do some front end work and couldn’t get it anywhere near where I wanted it to go because of the size. That was only 1 instance however, it is my go to for removing tires.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13728 posts
3149 upvotes
London
vkrasov wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 9:52 pm
Isn't your strength is the limit? If your fingers won't hold 240lb, the device will rotate in your hands...
Doesn't work that way. An impact wrench uses a small rotary hammer to generate an "impact" turning force. It's not like a constant torque or turning force. Some of the cordless guns are rated over 1000 ft-lbs

Think of hammering a nail into thin wood molding. The weight of hammer impacting on the nail generates about 100 pounds. That would snap the wood molding if it were a constant force

That being said, I never have any luck with these cheaper 240 ft-lb guns that have a single hammer. The Mastercraft Maximum 8.5A is a better choice when it's on sale $79-$89. It uses two hammers vs one hammer to generate more impact
Last edited by l69norm on Apr 29th, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2003
4891 posts
1888 upvotes
A Place to Stand
2_Tan wrote:
Apr 29th, 2019 2:26 am
Showing 179.99 in ottawa ...
Same for me in the GTA at several stores I checked online. Was this only a weekend deal or something? If so, deal looks dead.
Nov 16, 2011
831 posts
546 upvotes
HAMILTON
I used mine to remove and replace the blades on my lawn tractor.

Subsequently, had to take it in for service and they had to remove the blades. The service tech cursed up and down about how hard the bolts were to loosen and asked what I used to tighten. He was using an air wrench.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2006
2175 posts
558 upvotes
Bought this 2 yrs ago for same price and great tool for swapping tires.
Aug 27, 2009
765 posts
526 upvotes
Looks to be full price in Quebec :(
Jan 15, 2009
34 posts
18 upvotes
Ottawa
I've had this one for a few years now and it's meh. I hardly use it. It's not that powerful for its size
Mar 12, 2009
140 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Yup back to full price in all stores in GTA
Jan 9, 2014
428 posts
308 upvotes
Regina
I guess it was a weekend deal... showed 49.99 yesterday, back to full price today =(
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2014
4660 posts
1438 upvotes
Canuckland
Great for seasonal change but that’s about it
Sep 15, 2006
778 posts
226 upvotes
As others have said, this great for changing tires. I do 4-5 sets of tires in the fall/spring, this makes life a lot easier and I don't hurt my back using a manual wrench. Grab a torque wrench when it goes on sale and you're good to go.