Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] $8.88 T-Fal 10" Viva Maple Leaf Red Frying Pan / $11.99 T-Fal 12" Grey

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2020 10:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2004
1671 posts
2261 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] $8.88 T-Fal 10" Viva Maple Leaf Red Frying Pan / $11.99 T-Fal 12" Grey

44 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9506 posts
5250 upvotes
Are these the made in China or France version?
Mar 30, 2015
11 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
chatbox wrote: Are these the made in China or France version?
Do you really think at $8.88 it matters whether it's Made in China or Made in France?
Jan 31, 2014
126 posts
60 upvotes
Montréal
SumTingWong wrote: Do you really think at $8.88 it matters whether it's Made in China or Made in France?
Something wrong?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9506 posts
5250 upvotes
SumTingWong wrote: Do you really think at $8.88 it matters whether it's Made in China or Made in France?
Yes. Trying to avoid buying junk that may not hold up as well, and end up in the trash 6 months from now.

We're at a point where we really should buy things that will last, not fast fashion, not fast electronics, not hip appliances...etc.

Plus, I have a preference as to where my cash flows / doesn't flow to / used as market trend indicators.
Last edited by chatbox on Jun 2nd, 2020 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
May 21, 2009
93 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
99% chance made in China. Thanks OP, grabbed one to add to the backup stack.
Feb 17, 2005
818 posts
200 upvotes

Click on the link and see the Q and A. Someone asked the question, it’s made in China. I think for the price, it shouldn’t be a huge deal where it’s made. If you’re looking for a pan that will last you decades, non stick pans like this are probably not the right choice. If you’re looking for something quick and dirty to get the job done (Cooking something acidic and you don’t want to ruin your cast iron pan, put in the cupboard for your air Bnb rental suite, etc), then this is probably good for you.
Mar 30, 2015
11 posts
53 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
chatbox wrote: Yes. Trying to avoid buying junk that may not hold up as well, and end up in the trash 6 months from now.

We're at a point where we really should buy things that will last, not fast fashion, not fast electronics, not hip appliances...etc.

Plus, I have a preference as to where my cash flows / doesn't flow to.
Correct. Your question might be half intelligent if the price in question is $188.88.

What part of $8.88 (and for sale at Canadian Tire) even gives you the impression it will last?

I am not sure how many qualifiers you need to understand this is not a quality buy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9506 posts
5250 upvotes
SumTingWong wrote: Correct. Your question might be half intelligent if the price in question is $188.88.

What part of $8.88 (and for sale at Canadian Tire) even gives you the impression it will last?

I am not sure how many qualifiers you need to understand this is not a quality buy.
Guess I was being hopeful. Can't always tell by sale price....I don't see an MSRP. (So, not sure how much of a sale this is)
Last edited by chatbox on Jun 2nd, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9506 posts
5250 upvotes
Damn, that'll keep you busy for life. Hope that's not your calling.

Some may take offence if you tie their nation with poor / cheap quality. (but there's truth to it, with some exceptions).

Would it have made the question less dumb if the question was weighted towards China, like "I assume this is made in China?". (...but that's introducing biases / prejustice)
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 2nd, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post was deleted
May 21, 2009
93 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
chatbox wrote: Yes. Trying to avoid buying junk that may not hold up as well, and end up in the trash 6 months from now.

Plus, I have a preference as to where my cash flows / doesn't flow to / used as market trend indicators.
I agree with your sentiment, but a nonstick pan will never last beyond a year, maybe two of regular use, no matter which one you get and how much you baby it. So just get a cheap one (not ceramic nonstick) and pitch it when the nonstick goes. I use my non stick only for omelettes and fish.

If you want a long lasting near-nonstick surface you need cast iron or carbon steel. Well-maintained seasoning last forever but it's more work and not worth it imo unless you cook more than three days a week.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9506 posts
5250 upvotes
dictionary00 wrote: I agree with your sentiment, but a nonstick pan will never last beyond a year, maybe two of regular use, no matter which one you get and how much you baby it. So just get a cheap one (not ceramic nonstick) and pitch it when the nonstick goes. I use my non stick only for omelettes and fish.

If you want a long lasting near-nonstick surface you need cast iron or carbon steel. Well-maintained seasoning last forever but it's more work and not worth it imo unless you cook more than three days a week.
Think you're probably right. Maybe it's a problem with the coating technology, by design, and not a quality / process / origin matter.

My wife is currently using hers (T-Fal from France, got it when it was on sale), into the 9th month now (for eggs, light frying, pancakes)... She likes it (the only one we have, so no other baseline for comparison really), and it doesn't have a scratch yet...that's why we're thinking of getting another one. The initial idea was to give it a 'try', and see how it holds up for some of the cooking that we do. So far, it's holding up well, too well (to my surprise).

(We have cast iron and stainless steel for others stuff...well seasoned)
Last edited by chatbox on Jun 2nd, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 5, 2012
636 posts
423 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Yes it matters . Made in France is more preferable to made in China.
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." Plato
Jun 14, 2011
388 posts
328 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Get scratched super easily.. avoid at all cost