• Oct 5th, 2020 9:27 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2001
1033 posts
61 upvotes
New Brunswick

[Canadian Tire] Aerogarden Harvest - 50% off... $99.99 - starts Sept 25th

I'm not sure about these things - anyone have experience? Worth it? Waste of time?
"Homer no function beer well without" -- Homer Simpson :D
83 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1178 posts
1140 upvotes
Alright pros, should I get this or is there an equally simpler and cheaper alternative?

Doesn't sound like a bad 'can't do anything' Covid project..

[Reply copied below]
HouShanPi wrote: I have an older model that I bought used from Kijiji. There are four problems with this setup. 1) Seeds are expensive. 2) Variety herbs packs are too varied and do not offer sufficient numbers of the same plants to be useful. For example, I had bought the herb pack that included Thai basil. Since you are not supposed to trim more than a third of the plant at a time, you have barely enough Thai basil for one pho. Needs at least 2 plants. Same goes for those making pesto. 3) Not effortless. I trim very often even when I don't need a specific herb because if you don't, some plants will crowd out others for light. 4) Hard water.

Next time I will do the kratky method with grow led lights on a costco shelf rack.
Last edited by lleb13 on Sep 25th, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 9, 2003
31 posts
13 upvotes
Charlottetown
I'm no pro, but last winter I grabbed a cheap grow light from Amazon and a green house like this. I grew hot peppers for a few months before transplanting outside.

Side note, growing them inside was more productive for me as I was loosing a lot of the outside peppers to critters.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2005
1916 posts
315 upvotes
You could probably build DIY for cheaper. But, this is better looking and compact to fit in a kitchen counter. Good if all you need is a few herbs; maybe some micro lettuce.

I recently built a seed starting/microgreens station with two double T8 lights and OMAR rack from IKEA. Total cost was $100 ish.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2001
1033 posts
61 upvotes
New Brunswick
I'm no pro either - far from it. Interested in jalapenos, cherry tomatoes, basil, maybe some salad greens... I may pick one up. Would also like to do sweet bell peppers, but might be best to use this as a starter and then pot the plant after it gets going?

Also, I read that these were hard to find at the beginning of COVID. Stocktrack.ca shows them in stock in local stores, but not in great quantities... hmmm... decisions decisions... lol
"Homer no function beer well without" -- Homer Simpson :D
Dec 20, 2012
15 posts
69 upvotes
Milton
I've got an earlier model and I find it useful as a herb garden for the winter. Very painless way to have a bunch of fresh herbs on hand.

Only downside is seed pod availability in Canada. You can get pre-set seed kits from Amazon.ca, but mix and match isn't available in Canada and I always seem to be missing one spice I really need. Purchased a "Grow Anything" kit a few years ago, but it seems like the plants aren't nearly as successful as the Aerogarden pre-planted seeds.
Apr 16, 2014
101 posts
128 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I found these things pretty 'meh'.

On the plus side, it adds a nice bright vegetative look to a room, particularly helpful in those dark winter months. It will grow ok stuff, but better for herbs and things that you'll be using sparingly. Even salad greens; it really complements a salad rather than provides enough produce for a salad for 2.

It *will* make a good Christmas present for someone interested in something like this.
Nov 15, 2019
59 posts
68 upvotes
There's better and cheaper options for grow-lights if you're looking for something way brighter. Kingbrite on Alibaba is the golden standard for budget high-end lights.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2007
1313 posts
1170 upvotes
is it possible to redeem canadian tire cash with the app or with the credit card?
Mar 23, 2017
520 posts
938 upvotes
Toronto
lleb13 wrote: Alright pros, should I get this or is there an equally simpler and cheaper alternative?

Doesn't sound like a bad 'can't do anything' Covid project..
Dollar store soil, container, seeds, and a window. Should cost you around $6 fo a much larger quantity.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2006
4547 posts
1545 upvotes
Hey OP, nice find!

In the west, the sale started today, so it's live out here.
Don't like the thread? Hide it or report it. Don't incessantly complain about it in the thread, please.
Jul 26, 2019
20 posts
92 upvotes
I know nothing about these but it seems pretty neat. I did a quick search and found a review on Amazon saying the light lasts 3-5 years and is non-replaceable. If correct, that makes me think twice.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
1178 posts
1140 upvotes
SamG852 wrote: Dollar store soil, container, seeds, and a window. Should cost you around $6 fo a much larger quantity.
Don't have the 4th. OPs product provides the sun.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5232 posts
1324 upvotes
Kanata
davefull wrote: I'm no pro, but last winter I grabbed a cheap grow light from Amazon and a green house like this. I grew hot peppers for a few months before transplanting outside.

Side note, growing them inside was more productive for me as I was loosing a lot of the outside peppers to critters.
What kind of grow light did you get? I want to setup a place at home where there's no sunlight.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1637 posts
2931 upvotes
Toronto
Always wanted to pick one up on during prime day for the past few years. But even with sale, it’s over $100... is it really worth it?
[FS] SportChek GC at 87%
I love great flight deals