• Last Updated:
  • May 8th, 2020 9:50 pm
[OP]
Aug 30, 2013
735 posts
761 upvotes
prairies

[Canadian Tire] All Purpose Grass Seed 1KG - $4.49

All purpose grass seed in the 1KG bag is 55% off, where as all other sizes are only 30% off. This grass seed has great reviews. For the price, seems to be much better value and better reviews than the Scotts in general.
97 replies
Oct 18, 2011
275 posts
374 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Any greenthumbs out there who can offer me some advice? I have a postage stamp of a front lawn in front of my place where nothing seems to grow. Would I just toss this on for grass or would I need to apply an undercoat (for lack of an appropriate word) of soil to the area? Thanks so much in advance.
Jun 5, 2016
593 posts
783 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: Is it an annual or does it reproduce every year?
Blend of fescue, bluegrass and bluegrass
All those grasses will come back every year.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4285 posts
1649 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
What is the approximate area you can cover with 1kg when overseeding?
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3453 posts
806 upvotes
Toronto
omg we just bought the big bag last weekend - how do you do price protection if you cant return stuff ?
Aug 23, 2012
354 posts
114 upvotes
Calgary, AB
ChicoQuente wrote: What is the approximate area you can cover with 1kg when overseeding?
Dont know about overseeding but there is a note on the bag stating covers 45 sq m (484 sq ft)
Apr 23, 2016
81 posts
59 upvotes
Port Severn, ON
From CT details: ‘Blend of fescue, bluegrass and ryegrass.’

The ryegrass is an annual plant which is added to the mix b/c it germinates quickly and shades the slower (more desirable) bluegrass. It won’t return the next year. So some ryegrass is good if you’re seeding new grass but for top dressing, it’s not necessary. Also, it’s the cheapest seed for the manufacturers and therefore some mixes have too high a percent of ryegrass in order to lower their cost. CT doesn’t show the percentages.
Aug 2, 2014
449 posts
437 upvotes
Vancity
PSA:

If your area has problem with Chafer beetle grubs, aside from amending the soil, don't plant Kentucky bluegrass. You want hardy grasses with deeper roots like tall fescue. Microclover is great as well.

I cringe when I see people with decimated lawns from grub, dump some soil on top and throw the big box store seeds down. You need to research and see what grasses do best in you region and get it from a local nursery or seed store.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 22, 2007
6605 posts
6108 upvotes
Calgary
Scott’s has a guarantee. If it doesn’t work, money back. Scott’s coated always works. This brand failed me 3 years in a row. Just my experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2005
1491 posts
783 upvotes
Montreal
Why would you want grass instead of something low maintenance like moss.
kevinshalfpenny wrote: I have a postage stamp of a front lawn in front of my place where nothing seems to grow.
Be thankful.
IBM 701 | germanium diodes | 2000 multiplication or division operations per second | 2048 word memory on 72 tubes, 1024 bits per tube| 38-bit Accumulator | 36-bit Multiplier-Quotient | 2 IBM 726 magnetic tapes - 2x 2 million digit storage
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2659 posts
2172 upvotes
Pretty hard to determine if this is a good deal just by weight alone. If you look at the coverage area it will differ 10-20x between brands for the same weight
Feb 18, 2014
650 posts
1266 upvotes
Judicious wrote: From CT details: ‘Blend of fescue, bluegrass and ryegrass.’

The ryegrass is an annual plant which is added to the mix b/c it germinates quickly and shades the slower (more desirable) bluegrass. It won’t return the next year. So some ryegrass is good if you’re seeding new grass but for top dressing, it’s not necessary. Also, it’s the cheapest seed for the manufacturers and therefore some mixes have too high a percent of ryegrass in order to lower their cost. CT doesn’t show the percentages.
Very well put! Just want to add that not only does CT not show percentages, the mix will vary between different bag sizes as well... in previous years, their largest/'best deal' sized bag had no KBG in the mix at all.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45320 posts
5864 upvotes
Richmond Hill

I've used this before when it was incredibly cheap. I feel like it is mostly ryegrass, I got good germination but I had to keep doing it every year.
Feb 23, 2013
293 posts
164 upvotes

There's annual ryegrass and perennial ryegrass. Most decent seed mixes use perennial.

To all - do some actual research before you just throw down whatever seed is on sale. Different climates and different soil types (and the amount of sun exposure, watering schedule) will determine what kind of grass seed you should be using.
Jun 12, 2018
206 posts
119 upvotes
Pet, Ontario
I used this Garden Club Canadian Tire seed a few years ago and it grew great, very quickly too. The following year the yard was very patchy. I think there's a lot of annual ryegrass in this mix. Wouldn't buy again.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5043 posts
1024 upvotes
Montreal

So any bluegrass product that you can recommend? I m willing to spend more upfront if it means less times wasted in the future.
Mar 19, 2016
448 posts
377 upvotes
canada
Used this stuff last year. Worked really well. Lawn was lush until I let the dogs back out there Loudly Crying Face