Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Battery Tender $39.99 & $74.99 (20% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 7:27 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 10, 2020
166 posts
112 upvotes
number17 wrote: Oh in that case I would have to be the 'timer' myself and manually plug / unplug the tender ... lol :)

My timers are not that smart ... I can turn it on / off for certain hours every day but I can't schedule it to turn on /off for specific days in a week.
CanTire has some good, cheap NOMA ones you can usually get on sale that are really great for this. Set the day of the week, or just weekdays, or every day, etc. All digital. I used them on my freshwater fish tanks setup when I had it going in a big way :)

Humans forget stuff easily.. Like batteries you aren't using, or lights for fish and the planted aquarium...
A timer makes it easy.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2009
1047 posts
553 upvotes
CanKon wrote: This is a great battery tender. Used this exact one for 7 years and gave it to the new owner of my motorcycle when I sold it. You can also keep your battery healthy and charged if your car is stored in the winter etc.
which one are you referring to? Battery tender Jr?
Jan 28, 2009
181 posts
75 upvotes
I use the Junior for my motorcycle over the winter, but right now it's plugged into my wife's HRV since we haven't been driving it during the pandemic. Keeps the battery topped up (but not sure if it would be able to charge from empty though)
Aug 14, 2019
799 posts
384 upvotes
craftsman wrote: It may not be as most new chargers need to be able to detect the battery before it will supply 12 V.
But if you disconnect the battery terminals while the tender is connected, in theory, it should increase its power and maintain at least the computer settings? And presumably, if this is do-able without getting electrocuted.
Jan 31, 2007
431 posts
234 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Maybe you missed the thread title. Keyword here is tender, not charger.
Maybe you like single purpose devices, I don’t. Why not expand your thinking a little?
Jan 31, 2007
431 posts
234 upvotes
craftsman wrote: The point is for these things is not to charge your battery from dead in the middle of Winter but to charge your battery throughout Winter so that it doesn't have to start from dead.
that’s brilliant! I’ll make sure that every time a battery in my house dies it’s only in the summer. Got it!!
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15083 posts
12421 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Temujin1 wrote: Maybe you like single purpose devices, I don’t. Why not expand your thinking a little?
So my smartphone should be replacing all computers as well with that line of thinking...lol
Jul 15, 2009
460 posts
929 upvotes
Toronto
Never understood why something so dead simple is so overpriced.

When my NOCO genius died, I got a 2A Motopower smart charger for $26 shipped from AliExpress (sale+coupon)--well reviewed on AliExpress and Amazon. I am super happy I didn't go with an overpriced charger again. As an added bonus, opening up the Motopower shows that it uses nice big through-hole components, which are both robust and if something does blow on me it'll cost pennies to replace.

Use some of the money you save to pick up extra quick connectors for all your vehicles, super long cables, etc.--things that make the tender convenient to use. Guess what? If you actually use use your tender properly, you won't ever need the recovery/reconditioning/desulfator modes (which mostly don't work anyway). Plus not having those high power modes makes the device safer.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2006
2246 posts
595 upvotes
Is the suggestion above of disconnecting the battery for the winter the best way to keep the integrity of the battery? Eventually recharge before reconnecting. The car is not full of electronics.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4304 posts
1349 upvotes
Vancouver
So would something like the NOCO Genius 2 or 5 work to deal with a vampire draw we have on a 2004 Honda Accord V6 EX that is running down the battery after 3 to 5 days parked?

This is a vehicle brought into Canada from the USA by a relative and had to have work done on it at Canadian Tire to bring it up to safety standards such as adding daytime running lights. I believe since CT did the work the issue started or was made worse. We had a BCAA auto tech here once to start the car and he was disgusted by what he saw of how CT hooked up the running lights. I've been pondering if there is a very low draw going across the headlight bulbs heating them up but not enough to glow visibly to the human eye.

Looking for a easy remedy as the car is off the road between COVID and the $5000 a year ICBC wants for insurance for the 19 year old that wants to drive it. It is parked a foot from our garage door in the driveway so should be easy to run an extension cord to the car if we can hook in something like those terminal leads shown in the video earlier.

Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7486 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sheyenne wrote: But if you disconnect the battery terminals while the tender is connected, in theory, it should increase its power and maintain at least the computer settings? And presumably, if this is do-able without getting electrocuted.
At 12V, I doubt you would be electrocuted.

But to the point, if you disconnect the battery, that tender would probably detect the disconnect and cut off the power.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7486 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Temujin1 wrote: that’s brilliant! I’ll make sure that every time a battery in my house dies it’s only in the summer. Got it!!
I get that you don't get it.... and I'm fine with it.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7486 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
andreid wrote: Is the suggestion above of disconnecting the battery for the winter the best way to keep the integrity of the battery? Eventually recharge before reconnecting. The car is not full of electronics.
Yes and no. Lead-acid batteries like to be fully charged all of the time so if you charge the battery fully when you disconnect it and charge it once every month to a month and half during Winter, you'll be fine as the extra charging will slow additional deterioration of the battery. The key is to keep the battery full when possible.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14585 posts
7486 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NewsyL wrote: So would something like the NOCO Genius 2 or 5 work to deal with a vampire draw we have on a 2004 Honda Accord V6 EX that is running down the battery after 3 to 5 days parked?

This is a vehicle brought into Canada from the USA by a relative and had to have work done on it at Canadian Tire to bring it up to safety standards such as adding daytime running lights. I believe since CT did the work the issue started or was made worse. We had a BCAA auto tech here once to start the car and he was disgusted by what he saw of how CT hooked up the running lights. I've been pondering if there is a very low draw going across the headlight bulbs heating them up but not enough to glow visibly to the human eye.

Looking for a easy remedy as the car is off the road between COVID and the $5000 a year ICBC wants for insurance for the 19 year old that wants to drive it. It is parked a foot from our garage door in the driveway so should be easy to run an extension cord to the car if we can hook in something like those terminal leads shown in the video earlier.

It depends...

Did you charge the battery fully prior to leaving it parked 3 to 5 days? - ie how full was the battery when you parked the car?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4304 posts
1349 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: It depends...

Did you charge the battery fully prior to leaving it parked 3 to 5 days? - ie how full was the battery when you parked the car?
I do not know how full it was when we first parked the car. The battery is less than 2 years old but the car was problematic when we took possession a few months ago. It has drained dead several times since and I suspect we'll be buying a new battery in order to start it up at least once every couple of weeks.

It is what comes after buying the new battery that I'm worried about.