Expired Hot Deals

[Canadian Tire] Battery Tender $39.99 & $74.99 (20% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2020 7:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14464 posts
7394 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NewsyL wrote: I do not know how full it was when we first parked the car. The battery is less than 2 years old but the car was problematic when we took possession a few months ago. It has drained dead several times since and I suspect we'll be buying a new battery in order to start it up at least once every couple of weeks.

It is what comes after buying the new battery that I'm worried about.

I wouldn't just buy a new battery yet as you don't know what's going on.

My advice would be:

1. Disconnect that battery and do some preventative maintenance on it first (ie remove battery, wash battery with some mild soap and water, clean off terminals, check/fill fluid levels if possible, charge battery fully with external charger, and get the battery tested the day after fully charging the battery).
2. Once you get the results of the battery test on a fully charged battery, you'll have a better idea of the next steps.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4288 posts
1342 upvotes
Vancouver
craftsman wrote: I wouldn't just buy a new battery yet as you don't know what's going on.

My advice would be:

1. Disconnect that battery and do some preventative maintenance on it first (ie remove battery, wash battery with some mild soap and water, clean off terminals, check/fill fluid levels if possible, charge battery fully with external charger, and get the battery tested the day after fully charging the battery).
2. Once you get the results of the battery test on a fully charged battery, you'll have a better idea of the next steps.
Are you talking about the test where they sample the battery fluid or an electronic diagnosis? Where do I get the battery tested?

Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14464 posts
7394 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
NewsyL wrote: Are you talking about the test where they sample the battery fluid or an electronic diagnosis? Where do I get the battery tested?

Either or. But these days, most places just do the conductance test (the electronic one) as its simpler as anyone can do it - connect the leads, push a few buttons, wait 10 seconds and read what the screen says.

Most places that sell batteries as part of their automotive service can test a battery - ie Canadian Tire, car parts stores - as they want people to come in with their weak batteries (low on charge) to get tested which will fail as the batteries are low on charge so that they can sell them a new battery.
Sep 1, 2015
374 posts
509 upvotes
ssjlancer wrote: Im not convinced these canadian tire or even costco brands are any better than the chinese brands on amazon.
My gooloo works likes a champ.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WF7 ... UTF8&psc=1
More about the fact testing and standards for sale are MUCH higher than buying off some third party seller on Amazon or eBay. Electricity is electricity and plastic is plastic. But a factory contractually obligated to produce something for international sale, export, production of boxes and whatnot. Manuals and service centers and point of sale. You get all that with house brands that you wouldn't with the Chinese no-name brand. It's why it is reflected in the price you paid for your GooLoo versus Motomaster vs Battery Tender vs Noco and on and on. Obviously there is likely some support for youe GooLoo. But for example, I had the old Motomaster version of this. Worked good almost 8+ years. Finally something happened. Went to my local Canadian Tire and the Manager allowed me a free replacement even though it was outside any warranty whatsoever. I only paid maybe $39.99 for my trickle charger if I remember correctly.

You have to remember in this race to the bottom for manufacture, don't complain 20 years from now if all you see is imports with almost non-existent domestic support. It means something still to get companies that follow rules and regulations and pay licensing and testing fees.

Back to OP, these trickle chargees are great. Even if the battery completely dead. It will just take a long time to get it going again but it'll do the job.
Aug 14, 2019
765 posts
363 upvotes
craftsman wrote: At 12V, I doubt you would be electrocuted.

But to the point, if you disconnect the battery, that tender would probably detect the disconnect and cut off the power.
Stun guns run on 9 volts.
So the tender won't charge after the battery is disconnected? Isn't the purpose of the tender to trickle charge the battery?
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
14464 posts
7394 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sheyenne wrote: Stun guns run on 9 volts.
So the tender won't charge after the battery is disconnected?
Stun guns may have a voltage source of 9V BUT they convert that 9V into anywhere from 1,200 V to 80,000V....

It depends on the charger. Smart chargers are smart for a reason as many of them won't charge anything unless at least 1V is present on the other side so if you disconnect the battery, what's supplying that 1V?
sheyenne wrote: Isn't the purpose of the tender to trickle charge the battery?
Yes but the key thing here is "charge the battery". No battery, no charge. You can get higher-end chargers that will supply 12V even with the battery disconnected.